Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swiss Expressway Pass FS; Hotel recommendations

Old May 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from spending 2 1/2 weeks driving through France and W. Switzerland. Bought the mandatory Swiss Expressway Vignette and would like to sell it - hey, Switzerland is very expensive - much more so than France. The backing was never detached. Paid 40 swiss francs for the decal ($ 31.13) and will sell for $ 15.00 It's good through end of 2003. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

Spent two nights outside of Basel in a small town called Kaiseraugst at the Landgasthof Adler. Very convenient for doing a walking tour of the Roman ruins at Augusta Raurica and less than a 5 minute walk to the train station for a 15 min. train ride into Basel. Cost was 205 francs including breakfast. Less than one block from the ferry docks to take the boat into Basel as well.

Last night in Switzerland was spent at Hotel Restaurant Cave Bel-Air on Lake Morat in Praz-Vully. A lovely hotel with very good restaurant - in the heart of Swiss wine country, they bottle their own wines. Very close to Avenches to see the Roman ruins there and just across the lake from the medieval charm of Murten. Email address is www.Bel-Air-Lac.CH. Cost was 110 francs for our lakeview room.
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:11 PM

What is it used for? I will be driving from Lucerne to Prague. Do I need this?
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:49 PM

If you are renting your car in Switzerland, it should already have the vignette.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi, you'll need the vignette if you rent a car in another country and want to drive the autoroutes (expressway') in Switzerland. We rented a car in France.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:39 PM

I just wanted to point out that the vignettes are not valid unless they are stuck onto the car. If the police catch you, you will be fined. I think it's intriguing how people complain about the cost of the vignette, which is good for the entire year, while I have paid a lot more in tolls in France, Italy, and Austria for just a few hours of driving. Also consider fuel is cheaper in Switzerland.