Search

Swiss cog rail

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss cog rail

We will be staying in Leysin,Switzerland for a week in May. We will travel each day using the rail system and will use a Swiss rail card. Will the Swiss rail card cover the cost of the local cog rail trip from Leysin to Aigle?
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yes.

See map showing which lines are covered, and which merely discounted, at http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/dow...tskarte_en.pdf
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Well not if you have a Swiss Card - yes if you have a Swiss Railpass - the Swiss Card simply gives 50% off any form of transport in Switzerland I believe for a one-month period - but no not mix it up with a Swiss Railpass, which I think indeed you are talking about and like Man in seat 61 says would cover that train trip and nearly every other one in Switzerland as well as lake boats, city trams and buses and postal buses in full. For lots of great info on Swiss trains, passes, etc check out these super IMO sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.rickstevs.com and Man in Seat 61 who posted above - his commercial site www.seat61.com as it contains a wealth of great info too.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The bottom line is that railways which are part of the Swiss Federal Rail system (i.e., the SBB) will give a 100% discount for holders of the SwissPASS; privately-owned and other railways give some discounts.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM

There are many so-called private railways in Switzerland that honor Swiss Passes 100% - it is not just the SBB or Swiss Federal Railways but many more - nearly every railway in Switzerland, Swiss Federal or not honors the Swiss Pass 100% between all cities. If it were just Swiss Federal Railways the Swiss Pass would be a much much less great deal than it is - one of the best travel deals in Europe IMO.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM

the rule regards 100% coverage for Swiss Pass on any public conveyance in Switzerland indeed seems to be that if the transport connects any two towns, cities or villages then it is 100% valid - but if it is a trip to a mountain top only then it is 50% discounted but not covered in full because no two towns, cities or villages are linked. Thus postal buses are nearly universally covered because they always link towns or villages - ditto for lake boats and even some aerial cableways like the ones involved getting from Lauterbrunnen to Murren to Gimmelwald to Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen (my favroite excursoion in the Jungfrau Region, including the Jungfraujoch train) - so a Swiss Pass indeed covers much more than 100% only of Swiss Federal Railway trains.