Swiss Christmas Trip, What makes sense?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are in our 50s, considering a Christmas trip to Europe. We can spend 2 weeks and flexible on the dates. Friends live in Lugano, so, we're thanking on making this a primarily Swiss trip--open to anything. We've been invited to their place for Christmas, but we can see them anytime during our trip.

We've been to N. Italy, Austria, Munich, Paris, etc. A few years ago we had a great time in Vienna for Christmas and ended up in Lucerne for New Years- hotel and fireworks on the lake were awesome. If we did that again, we would fly out of Zurich, back to US. Friends have suggested Glacier Express and hoping off and on along the route staying overnight in various locations.

Trying to figure out what the best plan might be, so, we are not locked in to any one train or route. We just want make a good choice re: where to fly in and make out way around at a reasonable pace. We would stay with our friends in Lugano for 3-4 nights. Winding up in Lucerne is not a must if we cannot make the itinerary work.. We ski, but we would take our clothes and rent boots and skis if we decide to do so--if it works it works. We like it all: walks, hikes, shops, boats, incline, the hotel atmosphere, the bar, cool restaurants--local flavor and nice people ++.

We are looking forward to a nice seasonal break after a long hard year at work. We are not limited by a specific budget this trip. Ready to have some fun! Thanks in advance for any suggestions! K
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Hi kingster,

I'm afraid you haven't given us much to go on to help you narrow down the options -- you seem to be up for anything and for anywhere!

I'll just add a few comments.

First, you should know that the Swiss don't do up Christmas the way the Germans or Austrians do. For the Swiss, Christmas is a pretty quiet time for reflecting with family. There aren't a lot of Christmas markets, and the ones they have are in the big cities, not in the small and pretty villages (I was in Gstaad one Christmas, and the only decorations I saw was a fat Santa!).

Second, Christmas is prime time for the ski resorts (Zermatt, Wengen, etc), and hotels often require a full week's stay, and sometimes two weeks. Many guests even make their next week's reservations as they are checking out from the current year, so Christmas week is often booked up waaay in advance.

With those notes in mind, you should determine which areas of the country you want to see the most. With 14 or 15 days, I would have only three destinations so that you have enough time to see them in depth. (Remember that every time you switch bases, you lose about 1/2 day of "outside" time because of the chores of packing up and checking out, then checking in and unpacking/settling in again.) I guess one destination will be Lugano and one will be Zürich for the flight out, so that leaves you with basically one additional place.

You can peruse the Swiss tourism site to see if any one area attracts you --

www.myswitzerland.com

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Actually, we can start anytime in any city and do not necessarily have to exit Zurich. I apprecaite the fact that hotels may require a full week. Any thoughts on us staying a week each in 1 or 2 central locations and take day trips? We could stop in Lugano on the front or end of the first full week and visit our friends. Lucerne could possibly be the second full week location if there is enough to do in the area. It really does not matter. We just want a good logistical plan. K
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Hi again,

Yes, that's actually how I normally travel. I base myself somewhere for a week and take day-trips out. However, I make sure that the day-trips are no longer than 2h of travel in each direction, or else there is diminishing joy in the day.

So, as you narrow down your choices, make sure that your destinations can keep you happy for a week. Luzern is a great choice because there are lots of nearby mountains, the lakes, and lots of history. You can spend time walking, ascending the peaks, hiking, cruising the lakes, and visiting the cities of Bern, Thun, Basel, Zürich, etc. Lots more information at

www.luzern.com

Normally the mountain resorts are a good destination to ascend peaks, visit mountaintop restaurants, and to do hiking or walking in the countryside. There are normally other nearby attractions such as gardens or cultural museums.

Good luck with your research!

s
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM

I can't speak for all of Switzerland, but there are lovely Christmas markets in Lucerne, Bern and Basel. Festive lights are everywhere, and there are special treats you can only get at this time of year. So I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Trying to figure out what the best plan might be, so, we are not locked in to any one train or route. We just want make a good choice re: where to fly in and make out way around at a reasonable pace.>

For full flexibility to go everywhere and anywhere in Switzerland anytime you want look into the Swiss Pass, which covers nearly all trains in Switzerland (except those to mountain tops which it usually gives 50% off on)city trams and buses, lake boats (well in winter there may be a few on Lake Lugano and Lake Thun) and also gives free entry to over 400 Swiss museums, including some popular ones in Lugano.

a Saverpass has 2-five names on it and is cheaper than solo passes per person (and not all people have to be present for the pass to be valid - just one person could at times use it alone.

Conseutive-day passes are cheapest per day but you obviously need to be moving around a bit - otherwise look at a 3-day Swiss Flexipass (Saver) but usually 4-day flexipasses and longer are not as cost-effective as 3-day Flexipasses (because on flexipasses in between the first and last day on 100% covered travel over a maximum of one-month period you still get 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland and this 50% discount is usually a better deal than buying a 4-day flexipass as the 4th day will usually cost more than 50% off you will get using the 3-day flexipass - confusing, right?

Anyway great sources of info on Swiss trains, passes (and other options like the Half-Fare Card, Swiss Transfer Ticket and Swiss Card, etc.) I always spotlight these IMO superb sites - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html; www.swisstravelsystem.com and www.ricksteves.com. Swiss passes can be bought at any train station in Switzerland though when I have compared prices here and there for several years before buying it has often been the case that the exact same pass was cheaper here than there - sometimes significantly so so compare prices - if little difference just wait until Switzerland to buy (factoring in also 3% credit card fees, etc.)
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information on the rail passes. I spoke with our friends in Lugano today. They have requested that we fly into Milano (arriving 12/15)where they will pick us up and drive us to Lugano. We'll stay there until the 18th. They would like to join us on the Glacier Express and go somewhere for a few days before they head back to Lugano for Christmas with their family.

Looking online, it appears that Lugano is middle of southernmost Switzerland. The Bernina Express runs from Lugano to Davos to the east (but not sure if it does in the winter).
Questions: Should we schlep over to Davos and take the GE to Zurmatt? Where should we go with our friends and take advantage of being with them for part of the journey? Where should we end up for Christmas, and then, where to go on from there? We'll probably fly out on Jan.01 since most stores and places are closed, and we would have been away for more than 2 weeks.

Thanks, K
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM

The Bernina Express runs from Lugano to Davos to the east (but not sure if it does in the winter).>

The Bernina Express train goes from Tirano, Italy to St Moritz - there is a Bernine Express bus that goes from Lugano to Tirano - not sure the bus portion runs all year but the train certainly does. Think the bus does as well but perhaps not every day?
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM

to me the Glacier Express St Moritz to Zermatt is the most over-hyped scenic train ride in Europe - a marathon all-day 8 or 9 hour trek if you do St Moritz to Zermatt - not that the scenery ain't nice but nine hours of anything has folks blase after a while - I would suggest going from St Moritz via Zurich to Lucerne, spend a few days there and then work your way over to Zermatt via the fantastic Berner Oberland - to me and many the absolute high point of Switzerland, both literally and figuratively - the glacier-girdled sheer Alpine peaks picture of Switzerland perhaps etched in your minds' eye - Zermatt is similar but a much smaller area with not so so much varied things to do as in the Interlaken-Grindelwald-Lauterbrunnen area.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Montreux has a Christmas market. If you arrive Geneva it's very easy to get on the train heading out to Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux as a start to your trip. No idea if this will fit in for you, but it's the only part of the country I know (and love) -lol. suze
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM

The Lake Geneva area should be warmer than most of Switzerland because I believe it gets warm winds blowing up form southern France via the Rhone Valley - always a factor in winter - unless of course you want to go skiing.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Hi all,

Actually, Montreux has three Christmas markets: one at the center of town at the lake, one at Chillon (a medieval market), and one at Rochers-de-Naye.

s
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM

the train to Rohers-de-Naye is very famous - one of Switzerland's great mountain-climbing trains! Leaves from Montreux's main train station I believe and goes steeply up from there.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Let me get the map out and figure this out! K
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM

If not into taking the Glacier Express marathon and still wanting to go between St Moritz area and say Zermatt there is another way that IMO is much more interesting and with also fine Alpine scenery - from St Moritz take the Mahola (sp?) Pass bus - one of the most tremendously scenic I have been on - to Lugano - stay there a day in that pleasant lakeside town and then trake a train to nearby Locarno to hop on the Centovalli or 100 Valleys narrow-gauge train to Domodossola, Italy - and then a train from there to Brig, thru the Simplon Tunnel and from Brig to Zermatt.

So OP could land in say Zurich and take the train via Chur to St Moritz - perhaps spend a day there and do the famous Bernina Pass railway as a whole day out - a leisurely day where you can get on and off - walk around the glacier lake, between stations at the summit, etc.

Then take the Mahola Pass bus to Lugano - spend time with friends there and then head over to Zermatt and then onto Lake Geneva area, flying back from Geneva.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ:
Those are great suggestions. You get my drift that we are trying to work around this Lugano visit situation. We enter the country anywhere on or around the 15th/16th, but have only a few days with our friends before they travel from Lugano to their other home near Belluno,Italy for their family Christmas. How about we reverse your plan and fly in AND out of Zurich? They could actually meet us somewhere half way when we arrive and spend some time w/us,traveling back to Lugano, stay in their home a couple of nites and then we move on to our Christmas base location. (I'm thinking clockwise here, if that's possible)
>Only other alternative is fly into Milano, visit Lugano and travel with them for a couple of days before we part company where they can take a fast train home--We continue our adventure.

You suggested a Lake Geneva area stop...how about Montreux as THE the Chirstmas choice? (Fairmont-Palace Hotel looks very cool.)

We could continue on the reverse of your suggested schedule from there and end up in Lucerne for New Years and depart from Zurich.

Hmmm. King
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM

You suggested a Lake Geneva area stop...how about Montreux as THE the Chirstmas choice? (Fairmont-Palace Hotel looks very cool.) >

I love Montreux (and also nearby Vevey which some find even more romantic than Montreux due to Vevey's situation jutting out into the lake - but Montreux I believe has a very famous Christmas Market as well. Great place and i think a bit warmer than other areas.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Question: Where does Gstaad fit into the equasion? Would anyone suggest using Gstaad as a home base for a little skiing and site seeing in the Berner Oberland area, Junfrau, etc., or is it more of its own destination for winter sports, sort of like Vail?
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM

Gstaad is great but too far from the Junfrau area to make it a viable base for that region. But in its own environs you find some really great scenery - but IMO nothing to rival the awesomeness of the Jungfrau regions - not nearly so are two very different areas.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Well visit Gstaad while staying in Montreux. Thanks