Reload this Page >

Sweden / Norway / Denmark in October 2018

Old May 30th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, everybody

I was hoping for some insight. My wife and I are planning a trip to Sweden, and hopefully Norway and Denmark, in October 2018. We found some great flights to Stockholm. Normally, I like to fly into one city in a region and fly out from another. However, this time around, the best price on flights arrive and departed from Stockholm, so we (I, reluctantly) opted for that.

We arrive in Stockholm on September 30th at 12:40 pm. We're set to depart from Stockholm on October 13th at 2:20 pm.

The only event we have planned is taking place in Gothenburg the evening of October 6. Nothing is locked in other than that. I've looked at some travel company's itineraries. I understand wanting to make the most of your time in a different region of the world, but some of them seem rather rushed (like city, travel, city, travel), and I don't want to put my wife through that, since it's not so much her thing.

We're open to travel by train, ferry, and self-drive if need be. I'm interested in the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo or vice versa, but I don't know where to put it in the intinerary.

You'll see there's sort of a spare day in there where, instead of going back to Stockholm for the last full day, we can squeeze something else in between.

10 second sketch:

September 30: Arrive in Stockholm
September 31: Stockholm
October 1: Stockholm
October 2: Train - Stockholm to Oslo
October 3: Oslo
October 4: Oslo
October 5: Train - Oslo to Gothenburg
October 6: Gothenburg
October 7: Gothenburg
October 8: Train (or ferry?) - Gothenburg to Copenhagen
October 9: Copenhagen
October 10: Copenhagen
October 11: Train - Copenhagen to Stockholm
October 12: Stockholm
October 13: Depart Stockholm

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:44 PM

I don’t see a trip around the Stockholm archipelago. I would recommend making time for it, maybe take the ferry to Helsinki and back (or work a night or two in Helsinki into your trip then onwards to CPH for example), or take a day cruise, subject to what’s running at that time of year.
You have a few long rail journeys, sometimes it’s better to fly, more reliable.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a lot to see/do in and around Stockholm. I would spend all the time before or after Gothenburg in Stockholm. Probably after - the day you arrive, fly to Copenhagen, ferry to Oslo, fly to Gothenburg, train to Stockholm. Or pick either Copenhagen or Oslo.

For flights see: https://www.skyscanner.net/

For my trip to those cities (including Gothenburg) see https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ed-copenhagen/ - links at the top of the page.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:51 AM

For lots on trains and booking own discounted train tickets or perhaps getting a ScanRailPass is doing all those trips (covers some boats in full or part too)- www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Odin has given great advice as usual.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:22 AM

Well consider going Oslo-Copenhgen by ferry then Gothenburg and Stockolm = might make train trips bit shorter to Stockholm?
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

So, based on your feedback, does this itinerary make more sense?

September 30: Arrive in Stockholm, Flight to OSLO
September 31: OSLO
October 1: OSLO
October 2: Oslo, Ferry - OSLO to COPENHAGEN
October 3: COPENHAGEN
October 4: COPENHAGEN
October 5: Train - COPENHAGEN to GOTHENBURG
October 8: Train - Gothenburg to Stockholm
October 9: Stockholm
October 10: Stockholm
October 11: Stockholm, Overnight ferry to Helsinki
October 12: Helsinki
October 13: Flight: Helsinki to Stockholm, Depart to Canada
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:56 PM

Better, but I would skip Helsinki, it's nice enough, but Stockholm has more to see, and you're already doing a lot of moving around. You should include a day in the archipelago around Stockholm, and you could consider a day trip to Uppsala, which I didn't have time for.

Also, it is a bad idea to fly into a city the day you are leaving on an international flight. Unless your departure time is late afternoon, and really even then, you should be in your departure city the night before your flight home.Even if the flights are on the same PNR, and your connection is protected, the "next" flight is probably the next day, and there is no guarantee it will have space.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:21 PM

I think the revised itinerary is a bit all over the place. Flying onto Oslo when first arriving in Stockholm, not sure why you would do that . Then taking the ferry to CPH and then going back up to Gothenburg which is not that far from Oslo which you’ve just left doesn’t seem to make sense to me.
Taking an overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki would mean you might not see much of the archipelago, you need to see it in daylight. If there is no time to take the trip to Helsinki for the purpose of seeing the archipelago you can take an organised boat trip from Stockholm for the day.
There is also an archipelago close to Gothenburg, not as famous as Stockholm but that might work better for you, there are boat trips you can take.

Last edited by Odin; May 31st, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 31st, 2018, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Hey, everyone. Thanks for the tips, especially in regards to the arrangement. Does anybody have tips as to what order Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, and Gothenburg should be visited in given the restrictions I laid out?

Thanks again!
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:14 PM

See post #3.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thursday

I overlooked your link! I’ll check it out tonight.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 06:02 AM

If taking all those ferries and trains then strongly look at ScanRailPass which lets you chose which trains to take once there not book in stone far in advance. But, adding Helsinki is rather rushed -I'd spread days out elsewhere like more in Copenhagen which has a surfeit of great easy day trips by train.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Hey, team. I’m looking at flights for Stockholm to CPH. I’m guessing ARN is as efficient as any other airport and if we arrive there at 12:40 pm, it’s probably best to book the flight to CPH at 3:20 pm and NOT 1:30 pm.

I’m still finessing. Are we getting better or worse?

September 30: Flight - Stockholm to Copenhagen
September 31: Copenhagen
October 1: Copenhagen
October 2: Copenhagen // Ferry to Oslo
October 3: Oslo
October 5: Train - Oslo to GOTHENBURG
October 8: Train - Gothenburg to Stockholm
October 11: Stockholm
October 13: Depart

Last edited by MapleLeafBison; Jun 1st, 2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Wrong city mentioned in text.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 08:38 AM

Seems perfect IMO - relaxed itinerary.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 09:01 AM

Looks good but there is no 31 September. 3 nights in CPH is about right.

The flight at 3.20pm would likely be ok, you can always check to see if you can book an airfare that has some flexibility so you can rebook with a fee if the worst happens.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Haha! Sorry about the calendar error. I’m just excited. Thank you for pointing that out, because if I used that list to book things, that could have got disastrous.

Thanks for your input, Odin!
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Because I added an extra day that doesn’t exist, I’m not sure what I should do about Oslo.

September 30: Arrive in Stockholm, Flight to Copenhagen
October 1: Copenhagen
October 2: Copenhagen
October 3: Copenhagen // Ferry to Oslo
October 5: Oslo // Train to Gothenburg
October 8: Gothenburg // Train to Stockholm
October 11: Stockholm
October 13: Depart
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 11:33 AM

You have two full days in Oslo but I'd maybe swipe a day away from Gothenburg and put in Oslo - could do Norway in Nutshell in a day out by train from Oslo and back - full day but so so wondrous - fjord boat remains one of my top most cherished membrances of decades of European travel. Involves train to Voss - mountain bus ride to fjord at Gudvagen - few-hour boat ride on Norway's longest fjord (we saw whales!) to Flam then thrilling mountain train to Myrdhal for train back to Oslo (or in reverse of course) - buy all-inclusive ticket in Oslo and do it easily on your own.

Been to Oslo twice but long ago but a few days there was enough for me though like any world capital could spend more.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

I would switch one of the Gothenburg days for Oslo. However, we have an event in Gothenburg on October 6th. Would it be safe to take a train there in the morning and allow for more time in Oslo?
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:22 AM

I'd be inclined to leave your itinerary as it is unless you feel that you need more than 1 night in Oslo or skip Oslo altogether. The ferry from CPH arrives Oslo at 9.45am on Oct 4 and the train journey from Oslo to Gothenburg is around 4 hours, latest one leaves at 6.02pm arriving GOT at 10pm on Oct 5. Is that enough time to see what there is to see in Oslo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -