Sweden in March - Picking up a Volvo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of buying a Volvo and going to Sweden to pick it up. Time frame would be early March. What is the weather like at that time of year?

We would spend about a week after we pick up the car. I have not done any research yet, as this just popped into our realm of thought. I am just thinking out loud for the moment.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know about the weather etc. but a friend of mine used to always do this. The savings on the car paid for the vacation according to her and her husband. Don't know if this is still true with the weak dollar etc.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM

DebitNM, here is my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...copenhagen.cfm
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

How's the car??
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM

We love it. Which model are you thinking of? If you would like to email me privately, my address is mjbre at hotmail
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

S40. Email heading your way, thanks
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM

we have only had the car for a couple of months. It handles really well. I have never had a European car, always had a Japanese brand: Honda, Subaru. You could definitely get something similar for less, if you go with Subaru or other brands. For us, the trip was the deciding factor.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Debit, We love ours... just replaced the clutch at 75k or 80k miles. Ours is the 6-speed - fun car! I'd love to be on one of those curvy roads that they close for other traffic when filming commercials and just let it out a little.

: )

Can you go up north and see the Northern Lights ?

here is a cool hotel...http://kakslauttanen.fi/en/ - glass igloos in Finland. Would probably have to fly there tho.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM

COLD. I lived in Danmark for about 2 decades of summers, but have also been there in March and the weather in the "region" is cold, windy, and rainy.

I had seriously considered a Volvo and going to Sweden to buy one and then drive it to Copenhagen and have it shipped home from there. There are different cities listed that one can have the car shipped home from. But, I decided to go on line and buy a brand new Subaru instead and the car was delivered directly to my residence. It took about 5 days to do the whole transaction and I never dealt with a dealer.

Surfmom: A clutch replaced at 75,000 miles? What's going on with clutches these days? I hear that people are replacing them at 75,000 miles. I've only owned stick shifts since I was 16....nearly 40 years and I have never replaced a first clutch under 150,000 miles. I expect 150,000 miles on the new Subaru. How much is clutch replacement these days? My car is already on 42,000 miles. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM

By the way, as an incentive for people to pick up cars while it is cold in Scandinavia, Volvo is offering a trip to Rome (you have to pay for it, but the price is amazing), if you travel before April 30: http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-se...aveloffer.aspx
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM

@Guenmai, which Subaru did you get?
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

I just saw that special winter deal, really thinking seriously about doing this now.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Hello,

I ordered an XC60 T-6 AWD a week ago Friday. I am planning on picking it up O/A Feb 15 2011. Am taking advantage of a Nov. Volvo loyalty incentive giving you two extra nights in Gothenburg, for a total of three nights, and the Winter travel offer for a return flight and three nights in a hotel in Stockholm ($598), transportation and breakfast included. While in Gothenburg, I am planning to take a train to Copenhagen and spend three nights. I've been to Norway and Denmark before, but this will be my first trip to Sweden. I live in Spokane WA, so have had 26" inches of snow in Nov and it will get down to 15' tonight so am not too stressed about the Swedish weather. It will be cold but will take my Winter boots and dress for bear. Lived in Europe for 11 years (military),and one thing I learned is you can't let the weather hinder nor dictate your travel plans. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet, but am looking forward to visiting the Gothenburg Art Museum and their AeroMuseum, built in an underground facility inside a mountain. Don't plan on driving the new Volvo, just looking at it, saying OOOOO...... and letting them load it on the boat. Already have the Fodor's and Rick Steves Scandinavia travel guides and Steves Scandinavia videos. Can't make my travel plans until I receive an order number from Volvo, should be within 8 days. My email is [email protected]; drop me a line and I'll let you know how it's going.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM

Sorry, the E-mail is [email protected].
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM

A few years ago, my father in law picked up his Volvo XC70 in November and drove it around Germany and Switzerland before dropping it off in Hamburg to be shipped back to WA state and taking the train to Frankfurt airport for the flight home. He said the Volve people were great, the experience was well worth (even after the ship carrying his car back to the U.S. crashed into another ship off the Belgian coast, sank and sent all 3000 new Volvos, Saabs and BMWs to a watery grave...)
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:22 AM

guenmai, apparently 2 different drivers is harder on a clutch ? But I think the bigger culprit was lots of city driving and less highway driving, so the clutch took lots of wear and tear. I don't remember the cost - I do my best to forget things like that and focus on the good!

fofo, great story! loved the ship sinking part. Did the Volvo insurance cover it or did your fil's ?
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM

I'm on my second Volvo and they've both been great cars. Never had any clutch problems and my first Volvo still runs fine. I took my car in last week for routine service and they gave me a 2011 S40 to use. I loved it and it was very tempting to cash in my old one for the newer model but I just game back from a big trip and have another one in the works.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Damages while in transit, that is a great question! Did you wait for another car or simply buy one stateside? What if the car gets damaged [dents, scratches etc] while in transit - does the local Volvo dealer repair the car?

Rainyday mentioned that the dealer only gets a very small amount of $$ from the transaction. I wonder how that impacts how your are dealt with once the car arrives. It's funny, I learned about the Overseas buying deal from the dealer! I knew that BMW and Mercedes have these offers, but don't think I ever knew about Volvo.

I also like the fact that they have a great warranty and offer 5 years scheduled maintenance, including brakes and even wipers! I think the only thing not included is tires.

Thinking I might be able to hold off for a late April pickup to try and get a bit better weather.

@ Agedude - did they give you an estimated est. time of delivery?
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

sorry, didn't see Feb 15 on first read!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

We are also kicking around the 2012 S60 - verrrry nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -