Reload this Page >

SW Ireland B&B Help

Search

SW Ireland B&B Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Martin

SW Ireland B&B Help

My wife and I are spending 4 days in Ireland on the first leg of a European vacation beginning in September, 2002. We land in Shannon and have accomodations there for one night. We are planning to drive to Cork the next morning and were wondering if anyone had experience with a B&B there named "Aherne's". Also, what are some suggestions for "must-see" destinations between Cork and Dublin. We only have two nights in Dublin what is mandatory there and what should we avoid?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Dottie

Hi Martin!<BR>We are planning a trip to Ireland in March. I looked in our B&B books and could not find the one you asked about. Have you contacted the Irish Tour Board? They sent us two books on B&B's and is what we are using to select our accommodations. Their number is: 1-800-223-6470 The books are good as they have pictures, information, and so very many have web sites. From what I have read and hear the West and Southwest is the best of Ireland. Enjoy!!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

The most interesting site on the road from Cork to Dublin is the Rock of Cashel which is well worth a visit.I suggest you use google.com and put Rock of Cashel in the search box for details.Likewise you can use the text search on Fodors to get lots of information.Put Rock of Cashel,Cork or Dublin for example in the box.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Sharon

Also on the road north from Cork to Dublin, prior to Cashel, is the town of Cahir. We were heading to Swiss Cottage, which is east of Cahir, as a recommended stop by relatives we had been visiting in Cork. We also stopped to see Cahir Castle which was a pleasant surprise; they have a very interesting film which gives the history of the surrounding area by showing & describing abbeys, priories, towers, castles..it really makes you want to stay in the area & explore further. Both Cahir Castle & Swiss Cottage were enjoyable sidetrips that we originally had not intended to visit. Our original destination was the Rock of Cashel, which in agreement with the previous poster, was well worth the stop. It was a bit more crowded (bus tours, larger parking areas), Cahir & the Swiss Cottage were pretty quiet, smaller parking & probably off the bus tour itineraries. <BR>Further north of Cashel is Kildare. We wanted to visit St Brigid's Cathedral but it had odd hours that time of year & we couldn't get onto the grounds, although could see its round tower for miles. Also in Kildare, if you are interested in horse racing, is the National Stud, a thoroughbred farm.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Martin

Dottie, Edmond & Sharon: Thank you! And Dottie, oddly enough I too have not found Ahernes in any of the B&B books which surprised me after I came across their very impressive web site, www.ahernes.com. It seems they have a world class seafood restaurant too. Edmond and Sharon thank you very much for the sightseeing suggestions, they are now on the itinerary.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:08 PM
tisme

martin, you will find your andswers at irelandexpert.com and irelandyes.com

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:25 PM
rebecca

Well-For us Cork wasn't too much too see although a nice bustling working class Ireland city. Kinsale -which is a great place about 15 minutes south on the coast was a beautiful spot. The harbor, the shops, the dining! It is the sister city to Newport, RI. <BR>Also Kilkenny is a wonderful inland spot. Great medieval city. Hopping on the weekends. <BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>: )

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:12 PM
guy

Aherne's is located in Youghal and you will not find it in a B&B book because it is hotel not a B&B. Look at Ireland's hotel book site instead<BR>irelandhotels.com

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Shadow

Martin-I traveled to Ireland last Summer for the 6th time-this time bringing 8 friends!! We traveled all over the West and East of Ireland, then on to London and Paris. One of the greatest dinners we had on the ENTIRE trip was at the B&B (guesthouse) we stayed in at Cashel. We all highly recommend it. Its called Legends Townhouse & Restaurant (its like a B&B but there is a restaurant on the premises and the owner is a gourmet chef). Michael and Rosemary O'Neill run the restaurant and B&B and they were wonderful to us. The Rock of Cashel is awesome-beautiful views from up there as well. <BR>You can check out Legends at www.legendsguesthouse.com<BR>Dingle is another great town-good food, great music and lots to see and do!<BR><BR>I love Ireland!<BR>Shadow

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:50 AM
KieranB

I live in Cork & Ahernes in Youghal would be known for their restaurant, not their accomodation. I've never eaten or stayed there but the restaurant has a good reputation. One thing I would say is that if you intend going on the main road from Cork to Dublin via Cashel, Cahir etc. then Ahernes is not on that route. Youghal is on the main Cork-Waterford road so if you want to go there then you could be retracing your steps to get back on the main Cork-Dublin road.