SW France Trip Concept

Search

SW France Trip Concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW France Trip Concept

Working on a basic trip proposal (concept stage) for two 60+ travelers as outlined below. Our primary interests are architecture, history, photography, easy nature walks/hikes, wine tasting, sampling regional food, castles, bridges, .......... . Would like to see a bit of mountain scenery and get a taste of the Atlantic and Med coasts. Plan to use trains or busses to get around. Not sure about the number of nights in each location. Hoping to go in late summer or fall.

La Rochelle (2 nights)
Bordeaux (4 nights with a daytrip to St Emillion)
Pau (3 nights with a daytrip to Lourdes)
Toulouse (4 nights with daytrip to Albi)
Caracassone (1 night - town best seen late afernoon/early evening?)
Nimes (nights TBD. A base to take daytrips to see western Provence?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:27 AM

La Rochelle may requite more than two nights if you plan to see the Ile de Ré.

This albums might give you some ideas of what to see around La Rochelle: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoSHwbz

If near the Pyrenees, you might want to go into the mountains. That would be another day besides Lourdes. For example, Gavarnie is definitely worth a visit:
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Bleh. I live in the SW of France and think your itinerary mostly misses the mark. I don't even get it as an itinerary for the SW of France because it veers off into the Pyrenées and Provence.

NOT a SW France itinerary IMO nor one I'd care to follow. And a lot of your commentary on individual places I'd have a problem with, like Carcassonne best seen late afternoon - HUH? Best seen first thing in the morning IMO.

UM, NO it doesn't seem like a promising start to me, but I live here and have definite ideas on how to navigate around here and what to see. Sorry.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:43 AM

We've visited Pau twice. It is one of the most disappointing cities we've visited in France. I would stay near Argeles Gazost instead - which will shorten your trip to Lourdes and afford you some trips into the breathtaking Pyrenees (see Michael's photo)

We spend 2 months touring France every year.

I'm not a big fan of Nimes either. It is really not even in Provence - so it is not as centrally located as Avignon or St Remy.

Toulouse is our second favorite city in France.

Best time to visit Carcassone starts at 9am with a visit to the outer wall, and a "walk around" the ramparts. Then get in line for the chateau when it opens at 10. The tour will take about an hour. At 11:30 - depart Carcassonne before it becomes shoulder-to-shoulder people.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Pau can pretty much just be forgotten - France has so much more to offer.

Stu has it nailed for visiting Carcaasonne. It's a really nice town if you want to spend a couple of nights and hang out in the lower town, though. Most people don't bother to do that, and we were really happy we did.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

StCirq, sorry to tigger you, not my intent to offend any residents. Being unfamiliar with the area, I admit I was at a loss as to how best to label it.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
Pau can pretty much just be forgotten - France has so much more to offer.

Stu has it nailed for visiting Carcaasonne. It's a really nice town if you want to spend a couple of nights and hang out in the lower town, though. Most people don't bother to do that, and we were really happy we did.
I put in Caraasonne and the late afternoon/evening part based on a recent post by you on another thread.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:10 AM

No, no ,you didn't offend at all. I just thought your plan/itinerary was extremely weird. I still do. Doesn;'t mean you shouldn't follow it.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Stu, I think I got the idea of a stop in Toulouse based on reading some of your previous posts.

Regarding Nimes, put it in based on it having easy train access to Avigon, Arles, Aigues Mortes, Utes, Le Grau du Roi......
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
No, no ,you didn't offend at all. I just thought your plan/itinerary was extremely weird. I still do. Doesn;'t mean you shouldn't follow it.
I wanted to get a taste of the Dordogne, but couldn’t figure out how to do it without a car.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Avignon has the best bus & train access to other sites in Provence. Where is Utes??

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuDudley
Avignon has the best bus & train access to other sites in Provence. Where is Utes??

Stu Dudley
Two Weeks of Trips from Nimes Through Southern France

stu, I was influenced by this article which might paint too attractive a picture of Nimes and the short daytrip times.