Search

Survey: Top Tourist Destination in Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survey: Top Tourist Destination in Sicily

Hi there!
I am doing a little survey about the most popular tourist attractions in Sicily... I am planning to spend one week in July 2011 and I am very undecided about where to go first. I'd love to taste the best food, take memorable baths in crystalline sea, visit some churches and maybe get drunk with great local wine Well, it definitely seems that almost everywhere in Sicily is like that! Well, if you were me where would you go first among Aeolian Islands, West Coast, East Coast, Pantelleria and so on?

Every tip will be much appreciated!
Thank you very much in advance
Mag
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We really liked Lipari and Taormina which are very different from each other. In Taormina we climbed up to Castelmola where there are fantastic views down to the sea below. The amazing mosaics at Piazza Armerina were also great to see but not sure I'd go too far out of my way.

Kay
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM

I would certainly spend most of the time island hopping in the Aeolians. Take the hydrofoils and an island map, and rent a scooter at the marinas. Go early morning to Vulcano and climb up to the crater. Take a mud bath, then sit in the hot thermal sea water. Take a day to climb Stromboli in the evening!! Bring a tooth brush and nightshirt in case you want to get a room for the night. Take a boat tour around one of the islands and pop in and out of the grottos. Eat!!! July will be hot, but there will be sea breezes. There will be lots of tourists, but most never get out into the islands,(but you'll have a scooter) they stay in the towns or on boats. Attention All: Don't go in August. The islands are COVERED with tourist (and Italy's "spring breakers" - get my drift?) . So many in fact, a friend of mine closes his store and goes on vacation because his store is full of mostly people just looking and touching, and buyers don't want to bother squeezing in.
Check out http://www.vulcanoconsult.it/index_uk.asp to rent an apartment.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Don't miss Palermo. And just outside of Palermo is the wonderful cathedral at Monreale - one of the most impressive sights in all of Italy.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Take a look here and then you decide what appeals to you. We liked Taormina and Palermo--do not miss Monreale.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM

"The amazing mosaics at Piazza Armerina were also great to see but not sure I'd go too far out of my way."

On an Island absolutely packed with wonderful places, Piazza Armerina probably made my top three. I admit I am fascinated by Roman History, so can plead some bias, but if there are better mosaics anywhere, then I want to see them.

I agree with Bob, Monreale is almost "unmissable"
I loved Selinunte and Segeste. The view from the theatre at Taormina that is in every tourist brouchere ever created about Sicily is even better when you are actually there.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

thank you, kay! did you visit any other of the Aeolian Islands a part from Lipari?
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

wow thank you all guys!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

I really thank you all for your time! hey, it seems there's plenty of things to do May I ask you, more precisely, what would be your top 10?

thaaaaaanksss
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM

The problem with a top 10 is it is all over the Island, and you only have a week. I have not yet been to the Aeolian Islands nor to most of the west of the Island (that is for my next trip). Given my previous mentioned bias towards historical sites, and in no particular order.

1. Piazza Armerina
2. Monreale Cathedral
3. Selinunte
4. Taormina
5. Noto
6. Cefalú
7. the Paolo Orsi museum in Siracusa
8. Agrigento
9. Segeste
10. The puppet theatre (Really! - we went to the one in Cefalú, but there are several)
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM

We just got back yesterday after a tour of the east/southeast and would heartily recommend Lipari and Taormina. But the best place we spent a couple of days was Ragusa Ibla, which hasn't been mentioned. Just a nice, cute, friendly, relaxing place.

Unfortunately we never got in at Piazza Amerina, which was #1 on our list because of that darn Italian practice of shutting down for lunch! Wes drove up from Ragusa Ibla and arrived at 11.00 only to be told the place was closed until 14.00. That was our whole time budget(!) as we had to be in Agrigento that evening. Extremely annoying.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 08:26 AM

You might want to read my trip report.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I think it's impossible to cover the entire island in a week without driving yourself crazy (and driving all the time). Fortunately, Piazza Armerina is kinda in the middle, so you can visit no matter what. I'd also try to see one amazing cathedral (Monreale in Palermo, or one of the baroque cathedrals in Noto or Ragusa), a greek temple (Segesta or Agrigento), a fish market (Palermo or Catania), and a picturesque town (Cefalu or Taormina). Mount Etna is spectacular and produces some excellent wine. I love Sicily!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM

We loved Palermo, Monreale, Piazza Armerina, Notto, Taormina and Castelmolla, Ortygia, Cefalu.
We spent 2 weeks in October 2009, we did not go to the beaches.We had not a car, used the buses and this was very easy.Stayed at very beautiful pensions.

Loved Sicily.
You can receive a lot of good advices in TA forum, from Vagabonda.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM

I can only speak for eastern Sicily, but I would add to the votes for Taormina. We stayed at Hotel Schuler with a gorgeous view out over the ocean and easy to walk to the various sites in town.

Piazza Aremina was crowded with (mostly French) school kids when we were there at the end of April, and you are kept to narrow walkways overlooking the mosaics. Even so, I would definitely put it on a must-see list! Really the most impressive mosaics I have ever seen. That corridor, wow! We followed it with a short detour to Caltagirone to see the amazing steps, and of course a stop into one of the ceramics shops lining the way.

I liked Siracusa too, but with so much else to see I would put it lower on the list. I wish we could have made it to Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples...
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Agrigento was my favorite place in Sicily.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM

So what do folks think of these itineraries:

http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...yinoneweek.jpg

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...771020794.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...771020795.html
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM

I think the Sicily in 1 week map on Frommers borders on silly. It is an "everybody back on the bus" tour where there is no time to actually see anything and your abiding memory of Sicily will be the driving.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your precious suggestions... I do think I'll go for Eastern Sicily! ;-) Would you be so nice to give me a list of lovely places not to be missed in 7 days along the east coast? Thank youuu!!!
@Michael can you send me the link to your trip report?
@all - I do really appreciate your help soooo much Again, thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM

My trip from October 2005 if t is any help.
http://www.microbes.110mb.com/sicily2005.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -