Reload this Page >

Surprising the Husband

Search

Surprising the Husband

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 12:43 PM
Lisa

Surprising the Husband

Its very tough to sneak. I am planning on surprising my husband in January with 4 days in London,then taking the Eurorail to Paris for 3 days from New York. If anyone has any advice for restaurants in both countries and <BR>ideas that would be extra special.Thanks

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 12:59 PM
John_Prescott

You might find the journey through the Atlantic Tunnel a little tedious, or were you planning to take the Hindenburg ?

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:04 PM
Bob

Paris: One of the top restaurants in Paris is La Tour Argent. It has hosted kings, queens and American presidents. It overlooks the Notre Dame catheral and has been at that spot since the 1700s. All the famous people who have eaten there have their signed photos on the wall. Very old world atmosphere and hard to get reservations during the busy season. If you order their famous duck, you get a certificate with a number. Not a tourist spot, but a 5 star event. You may want to try that for one night in Paris. The menu was first used in this restaurant.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 02:21 PM
Al Godon

I hope your husband did not his eye on the Super Bowl! He might not be so thrilled as you!! How do you know he would like go go?? Might surprise some people, but I don't think I would like it. Paris in January?? Yuk! <BR>(Paris in early September, after the tourist hoards have gone, is great.)

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 06:12 PM
Renee

Lisa: <BR>I think your trip sounds fabulous! We will be visiting London & Paris too on our honeymoon in March. There is so much information available on the net -- as I'm sure you know! Just read everything you can get your hands on. That's what I've been doing. <BR>Have a wonderful time! <BR>Renee

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:40 PM
Mike

On the Tour d'Argent theme - blockbuster "event" Parisian restaurants which are embarrassingly expensive. Le Grand Vefour, part of the Louvre, recently got 3rd Michelin rosette (I think), 19/20 in Gault Millau, restaurant over 200 years old. Or Jules Verne (one rosette), IN the Eiffel Tower - I mean, you want dramatic. Some might argue that La Tour d'Argent is the most famous restaurant in the world, but I would think the Le Grand Vefour's currently considered the best of the three on the plate. The attractions of a really very good restaurant in the Eiffel Tower? I can't think. PS I've only eaten at Le Grand Vefour - quite a place, great service, good food, shocking prices. I seem to remember that I was in Alexandre Dumas' seat. <BR> <BR>I also fancy eating at Pierre Gagnaire if I go to Paris soon. <BR> <BR>Pick up your mushrooms to bring home on the Rue Mouffetard Sunday morning. Nice. <BR> <BR>PS you'd better book soon. <BR> <BR>In London, I would suggest trying to be a bit more diverse - it's easier to eat well in different styles. Sugar Club, Zafferano, The Ivy, Chutney Mary's etc. I think we have good restaurants serving food in the French tradition, but it's easier to avoid that sort of thing in London than Paris, and you can have too much of a good thing. In fact, is French cuisine the be all and end all? <BR> <BR>There was quite a lively thread on London restaurants recently ... and one on Paris bistros a while back ...

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:21 PM
Con

Paris at the end of January '98 was fine. We wore layers, hats, scarves, gloves. There was no rain, but down to low 40's (30's one night) in the evenings. No rain. No crowds. Really fun to walk or take the buses (which are easy to figure out). I would go that time of year again. Days did seem short, but we'd rented a small apartment with our two preteens, and were often ready to just relax in the evenings. Food shopping was fun. Would love to go back with my husband for finer dining and just cafe sitting/people watching. <BR>Enjoy <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:10 PM
Meg

We have gone to London & Paris nearly every year for the last several in Jan. It is wonderful! Few crowds-worst @ the Eiffel tower, but worth the wait -especially if you go around 3pm & see it by day & by night! An expensive bar & restaurant on the 2nd level. Mild weather, flowers still blooming everywhere, & friendlier people, since they aren't swamped! try a Hop-onhop-off tour of London-good for 24 hrs & &gt;25 stops that show how close/far places are & have q 15 min pickups. The eurostar to Paris is great - go 1st class @ least once-dining & service the best! Mod expense & close to "tube & Madame Tussads's - The Sherlock Holmes Hotel -very helpful staff & nicely decorated -roomy, comfortable rooms. good restaurant in Paris -La Locanda.

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:52 AM
james

The Tour d'Argent is fine if you have a massive budget, but I would recommend the Vaudeville restaurant - it's opposite the Bourse and exactly what you would expect a french brasserie to be like. In London, try Langans or if you fancy a real British restaurant try Wiltons.