Surprise trip

May 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Surprise trip

In February,my husband and I went out to dinner as we often do on a Friday evening. He proceeds to hand me a paper with flight times booked for Paris. I was shocked to say the least. We have been married 45 years and he has never done that. Then he gives me another paper with the apartment he had booked. WOW, I am drinking my Kir royale and trying to calm down. Now I am hoping I can take the time off from work or he will be going alone. We have been here 10 times before, but I am always ready to come back.Anyway, it worked out and we departed May 6th for 2 weeks in our favorite city.
Flight was smooth and my husbands friend Lucien met us at the airport.We managed to get all our bags in his small car and off we go to the 16th. I canít imagine driving around the Arc d Ď triumph,crazy drivers, but he doesnít mind. We like to stay in different neighborhoods and the 16th is lovely.
We got settled in, said au revoir to Lucien, and went out to explore. We needed to pick up some water, coke,etc at the monoprix, and then decided to walk.
it was a beautiful sunny day,and we walked up the street and ended up at the Eiffel Tower.Oh how I love to see that on the first day..Lots of people out and about.we continue our walk,ended up in the 7th, it was familiar,as we stayed there 2 years ago.
We tried to get out metro passes loaded at one of the tabac places, but we were directed to a metro station,as it expired. No problem, lots of them around. We use the metro all the time while we are here. I know we stopped somewhere to eat,canít remember where or what. I was so tired.More later...
May 13th, 2018, 06:23 PM

What an exciting surprise! Can’t wait to read more.
May 13th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Tuesday our main goal was to find our train station and see if trains would be running.
After a sluggish start,we were up and out. Bill watches his blood sugar, so he makes a light breakfast before we go out.He makes eggs and ham which he picked up at monoprix.I just need some coffee and then I pick up a pain au chocolate on the way.
Good news ,we found the train station and our train will be running Wednesday to Vernon.I can’t wait to see Giverny. Today was a beautiful day, sunny,clear blue skies,warm. We did get to Galeries Lafayette to browse, went to the rooftop terrace for drinks and to soak in the view.Back to the 16th to explore and find a place for dinner. We swore we would sit back and relax this trip,no pressure to see everything the first day. We walked down rue de passy, found a small restaurant. We enjoyed some salmon dishes and I had a dessert recommended by the French couple next to us. It was lies flottantes(floating island),light as air.Home to bed,getting up early for the train.

Search this Thread