Search

Surprise trip

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprise trip

In February,my husband and I went out to dinner as we often do on a Friday evening. He proceeds to hand me a paper with flight times booked for Paris. I was shocked to say the least. We have been married 45 years and he has never done that. Then he gives me another paper with the apartment he had booked. WOW, I am drinking my Kir royale and trying to calm down. Now I am hoping I can take the time off from work or he will be going alone. We have been here 10 times before, but I am always ready to come back.Anyway, it worked out and we departed May 6th for 2 weeks in our favorite city.
Flight was smooth and my husbands friend Lucien met us at the airport.We managed to get all our bags in his small car and off we go to the 16th. I can’t imagine driving around the Arc d ‘ triumph,crazy drivers, but he doesn’t mind. We like to stay in different neighborhoods and the 16th is lovely.
We got settled in, said au revoir to Lucien, and went out to explore. We needed to pick up some water, coke,etc at the monoprix, and then decided to walk.
it was a beautiful sunny day,and we walked up the street and ended up at the Eiffel Tower.Oh how I love to see that on the first day..Lots of people out and about.we continue our walk,ended up in the 7th, it was familiar,as we stayed there 2 years ago.
We tried to get out metro passes loaded at one of the tabac places, but we were directed to a metro station,as it expired. No problem, lots of them around. We use the metro all the time while we are here. I know we stopped somewhere to eat,can’t remember where or what. I was so tired.More later...
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:23 PM

What an exciting surprise! Can’t wait to read more.
Old May 13th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Tuesday our main goal was to find our train station and see if trains would be running.
After a sluggish start,we were up and out. Bill watches his blood sugar, so he makes a light breakfast before we go out.He makes eggs and ham which he picked up at monoprix.I just need some coffee and then I pick up a pain au chocolate on the way.
Good news ,we found the train station and our train will be running Wednesday to Vernon.I can’t wait to see Giverny. Today was a beautiful day, sunny,clear blue skies,warm. We did get to Galeries Lafayette to browse, went to the rooftop terrace for drinks and to soak in the view.Back to the 16th to explore and find a place for dinner. We swore we would sit back and relax this trip,no pressure to see everything the first day. We walked down rue de passy, found a small restaurant. We enjoyed some salmon dishes and I had a dessert recommended by the French couple next to us. It was lies flottantes(floating island),light as air.Home to bed,getting up early for the train.
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

The train to Vernon was 15 minutes late taking off from the station.I had stopped at Starbucks before boarding and the ride was pleasant. We took the little tram over to Giverny. We were in a short line to buy tickets,waited 10-15 minutes. The flowers in the gardens were all blooming, and the lily ponds, wow what can I say? Breathtaking, I loved this part and we spent a lot of time here. We went into the house and what a kitchen,lots of copper pots.
When we came out, the lines were longer, lots of bus tours here.
We decided to have lunch in the museum restaurant. We sat outside and there was only one waitress,she was really moving. It took forever to get our check. Food was ok,pleasant afternoon.
on the ride back to Vernon, we met 2 girls also from Pa, one teaches English to French children, her friend was visiting her. She teaches English to children in Japan. We went to a small cafe and had a drink near the train station. When I went in, our scheduled train wasn’t on time, but we were able to get on an earlier train, that made 23 stops,but at least we got back to Paris, although it took a bit longer.
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thursday we decided to go to our favorite museum, Musée d’Orsay. We walked right in , no line. This is our favorite and we always have lunch in the beautiful restaurant on the second floor. After we just walked around, no plans .We did drop in to the Polish church,Mass was being celebrated. We are of Polish descendants, so we talked to a gentleman who said they have a kitchen and dining room down stairs. It is only opened on Sundays, so we made plans to return. We then walked over to Place Vendôme. There were a lot of cars, all kinds , some sort of Citroen celebration. We got to see the latest Bentley models, as well as other brands. I had signed up for a cooking class at the Ritz cooking school to make macarons. Bill went back to the apartment until my class was over. There were 6 French students and myself. They did have a translator for me. We learned how to make chocolate and strawberry macarons. At the end of class ,we were sent home with our macarons. I met Bill and we stopped in a small bistro and had dinner, then home.
We are putting a lot of miles on our fit bits!
Old May 28th, 2018, 01:20 AM

nice report - keep it coming!!
Old May 28th, 2018, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

[SPOILE

[/SPOILER]
Old May 28th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Friday we always meet my husbands friend and his wife for lunch. We had lunch at Angelina’s in Galleries Lafayette as we had plans to see their fashion show at 3. Angelina’s is just convenient, and Marie and I love to look at the designer clothes we can’t afford. This year they now charge 12 Euros to attend the fashion show. They did give us a bottle of water. Nothing exciting in the show. We then walked around and had to look at baby things, we just found out we are going to be first time grandparents in November.
The 4 of us then went up on the rooftop terrace for a drink and pictures. It was a gorgeous sunny day.

Old May 28th, 2018, 02:56 PM

How exiting! I am really enjoying your report. Isn't Paris wonderful?
Old May 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we just love it. Even when you are just walking and watching people. We did end up walking towards Notre Dame. I always need to pick up a few rosaries. We decided to get some drinks and dinner. There is a restaurant behind Notre Dame -Au Vieux Paris d’Arcole, we have tried to eat here before ,but the timing never worked out. We sat outside and noticed there were 2 rooms inside plus an upstairs dining room. When my husband asked for the wine list, they said come in and took him down stairs to choose a bottle. We started out with a seafood appetizer that we shared. I think I had confit de canard, We talked to a couple next to us, they were visiting from Switzerland and had a few days in Paris. Back on the metro and home to the 16th. I love seeing the Eiffel Tower lit up as we get out of the Metro.

Old May 28th, 2018, 09:35 PM

Enjoying your report

Boots
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:26 AM

Also following along as I'll be in Paris in a couple of weeks. Love the sparkly shoes in your last photo
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Everybody needs a sparkling pair of sneakers
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Saturday we had to go to the train station to see if our train to Reims would be running. We had plans to go Monday. They told us it would not be running, but they gladly exchanged our tickets for Tuesday. Since we had no plans , Bill wanted to check out the food in le Bon Marche.
There seems to be more police everywhere. Several times we were stopped in the metro areas to have our tickets checked.
The variety and selection at le Bon Marchhe unbelievable. The cheese selections cover 3 refrigerated cabinets. How do you pick one?
We spent a bit of time here, picked up some things.
The church of the Miraculous Medal is around the corner, so we always stop in and pick up some things.
There is a new “ le Bon Marche” in the 16 th, so we would be checking that out in a day or 2.
We had no plans for dinner that night, so we thought we would walk around the streets near our apartment. We came across a restaurant called Tsari”. It is an interesting (?) place as the menu is half French and the back is Russian or middle eastern. Since that is our heritage we gave it a try.
They had pierogies on the menu as well as several other Russian dishes. My husband asked for a chicken dish, the waitress came back and said they didn’t have that one. He tried to order another, once again she said they didn’t have it. We asked just what they had. He ended up ordering some meat patties. I chose an avocado/ crab meat dish. When it was time for dessert, I really just wanted some ice cream. She came back and said, no ice cream. I asked what they did have, after 2 more things were unavailable. It was getting to be funny.
She came back and said she saw apple strudel, so I had that. Evidently, they had only been opened for a week and were working out the bugs! Lots to work out!
They did apologize and brought us each a nice glass of champagne,which was delicious.
We did get a good laugh out of the whole thing,
Avocado/ crab salad

Which one?

Old May 29th, 2018, 07:59 PM
ira

Hey L,

Thanks for sharing.

You have a wonderful husband. Keep him.

Old May 29th, 2018, 09:02 PM

All those pastries - mmmmm!
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Enjoying your Paris rambles and terrific photos. What a juicyTR!
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Sunday we did go to the Polish church (Notre-Dame -de-l’Assomption) built between 1670 and 1676.It is located along rue Saint -Honore. There was standing room only for Mass.Outside there was a farmers market selling Polish meats , candies,books.
We went downstairs to try the pierogies. There was no menu, and the poor woman couldn’t tell us what was available, so she walked us into the kitchen, and the cooks lifted lids off big pots of soups , a pork dish and the pierogies.The pierogies were almost as good as mine!
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:36 PM

What an awesome surprise for your husband to spring on you!

Enjoying your report and pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -