Sunday mass : Notre Dame or Sacré Coeur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave next Friday for Paris (hubby, me and our 6yr old daughter), and while we're trying not to stick to a rigid timetable, I was wondering which place would be better for Sunday mass - Notre Dame or Sacré Coeur. I've seen posts recommending both. It'll be our 2nd day in Paris, so don't want to cram in too much.

While I'm here, I'd like to thank all the posters who make Fodors such a wonderful place to visit. I've gotten more from these boards than I have from guide books, and believe me, I've read quite a few . Thanks for sharing all the tips and reports. I hope to do something similar when we get back.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:54 PM

Having been to both, I would choose Sacre Couer. Just a personal preference. It is really beautiful, especially if you make it to the top. Lots of stairs, but well worth the trip up either before or after the mass...
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Another vote for Sacre Coeur.

Marvelous organ during Mass.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
MaureenB

We'll be there one Sunday in May, too. Would love Mass at Sacre Coeur or Notre Dame. What a great idea. Anyone know how to find the times for Sunday services?

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
mde

Mass schedules are at their websites Notre Dame: http://www.cathedraledeparis.com/

Sacre Coeur: http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/us/
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:56 PM

While I haven't been to Mass in either church, I have been to both and would choose Sacre Coeur, just because the dome inside that church is so gorgeous. The service couldn't help but be moving with that beautiful scene in front of you, all the wonderful blue and gold design.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Here's something that's outside of your choices.

If you want a mass that would be more quiter and also feels a little more spiritual than either of the touristy establishments that you asked about, plus a little more thrilling given the da Vinci code stuff, then go to St. Sulpice. We attended a Latin Mass the last time we were there. It's a beautiful church.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

Not quite on topic -- I've a question on Notre Dame.

The link given says that there's a Sunday mass at 8:30. But the cathedral is open at 7:45 every day.

Is this right?

I'd like to take a look and walk around, and I'd imagine that this is not good when the masses are happening.

How long is the mass?

Is it ok to plan on visiting between 7:45 and 8:30 on a Sunday?

Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are people wandering around Notre Dame at all times, including during the mass. The place is enormous.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:39 AM

Thanks. I also e-mailed them and I'll post here if I hear.

monum.fr gives a different opening time -- at 8:30, I think.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM

I'll second the suggestion to go to St. Sulpice. They have a marvelous organ and organist and after the 10:30 mass (I think, please check) the organist invites people up to see the organ. Very special if you are a music lover.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM

Third vote for St. Sulpice. We were worried that we were late, but found that many of the locals just dropped in for a part of the mass.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM

111op, when I was Paris last trip (April '03) I went to the Sunday Pacques Mass for Easter. The doors didn't open until 8:30am promptly.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM

I haven't been to mass at Sacre Coeur but I have at Notre Dame. It was beautiful but the drawback is that this is a cathedral and like many cathedrals it is really big. It wasn't a mass that I felt part of - well, I should add that since I couldn't understand what was being said, I did feel left out a bit. I have also been to St. Sulpice and liked that better. It is smaller, the music was beautiful. We didn't stay to see the organ but I really enjoyed the mass. I found it very interesting that I would get lost and not be able to determine which part of the mass we were in at times - you'd think that someone who has been to mass all her life could keep up! It was kind of funny.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM

My guess is that africanviolet is back - so where did you go?

For future Paris visitors, I went to both churches and noticed that Sacre Coeur was much more strict about picture taking during services than Notre Dame which I think helps to maintain the solemnity of the Mass. I was overwhelmed by Sacre Coeur personally and it gets my vote.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Thanks Beatchick.

Though I e-mailed Notre Dame, I've not heard back.

Is it ok to walk around during mass if I need to (I'll try not to resort to this measure)? Still in a planning stage, so nothing is set in stone.

Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM

111op, I meant to post that perhaps that was just for the holiday due to popularity of good seats for the mass? Having never been there that early before I couldn't really say!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Yes, it is okay to walk around the ambulatory during the mass. You'll be cautioned to walk around quietly & if it's the same as when I was there in 2002 then you'll hear a loud "shhhh" over the loudspeakers followed by something said in French in hushed tones, which I can only assume is a request to be quiet during the ceremony.

Unfortunately, you'll see quite a few tourists taking flash photos of the window, disturbing the mass, despite requests not to do that.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Thanks Beatchick. Obviously I'd prefer not to look around like a tourist when there's a mass -- but we'll see how the day shapes out. I don't even know how early I'll get up. I just know that to max out my time I need to be prepared to stay up late and get up early. How this will work in practice we'll have to see.

I think that Notre Dame probably does open by 8:30 (that's what monum.fr says). I'm a little suspicious that it opens at 7:45 (according to that website).

Anyway, it seems like each guide book quotes a different opening time.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Okay, I see! Well, I'd wager that on normal mass days (those excluding holidays) that the cathedrale is open at 7:45 leaving enough time for people to gather together. It would be perfectly fine to meander around as long as you were quiet & circumspect, you know, basically acting like you're in a church!

111op, I must've missed it but when are you going to Paris?

Yes, that is the frustrating thing about guidebooks. I like to play a guessing game on which ones are the most accurate. Actually, I think Fodor's is pretty accurate but the most accurate as far as times, websites & ph#s seems to be Cadogan's Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -