Summer hiking town base Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need advice on choosing a hiking town base in Austria. I will be traveling as a solo female and have quite a bit of hiking experience. I would love a charming town that I can get to by train from a major airport, with many options for hiking and mountain biking from town or east public transport. I would like the town to be busy enough to have plenty of hikers on trails. I will be traveling Sept 4-14. Thank you!
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 12:05 AM

Zell am See comes to my mind first. Or Mayrhofen in Zillertal valley. If you want a larger town, then the city of Innsbruck would be an option although getting to the hiking trailheads would take a half hour or so every time.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by FatCats1320
I need advice on choosing a hiking town base in Austria. I will be traveling as a solo female and have quite a bit of hiking experience. I would love a charming town that I can get to by train from a major airport, with many options for hiking and mountain biking from town or east public transport. I would like the town to be busy enough to have plenty of hikers on trails. I will be traveling Sept 4-14. Thank you!
I second Mayrhofen as mentioned above. Zillertal has an abundance of hikes which can be reached with Mayrhofen as a base.

Another suggestion is Neustift. It's easily reached from Munich airport via Innsbruck. Train to Innsbruck, a 45 min bus drive to Neustift. It's a small and fairly tranquil village in the Stubaital Valley where you have a lof of options for hiking. Also good since it's easy to take the bus down to Innsbruck for orther activities if there are bad weather days.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 04:08 AM

I'd second the suggestion of Neustift, or Fulpmes (also in the Stubaital) if you prefer a rather livelier/busy town.

I've spent several years there on walking holidays until Covid struck (well, mostly taking cable cars up and walking down - the bus service stops by all the cable cars and exit points, or there are more strenuous options, if you wish - and I believe hotels in the valley still offer a free bus pass valid for your stay). Plenty of beautiful scenery and fresh air (photos available on request!)

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 04:46 AM

I forgot to add a link;
https://www.stubai.at/en/activities/hiking/
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 05:15 PM

Fodorites -- Neustift or St Anton? My wife and I are going to this area in September as well. Our itinerary is Zurich - St Anton - Innsbruck - Ortesei - Cortina ->. It looks like Neustift might be more fun, or at least less commercial, than St Anton. (Currently we have 3 nights booked in St Anton.)

We plan to pick up a car in Innsbruck and could be pretty flexible. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 12:10 AM

St. Anton is a (famous and excellent) ski resort, but relatively quiet in summer - for good reason: The hikes are not nearly as spectacular as in other regions of the Alps. Neustift offers far more variety and spectacular scenery in summer. No need for a car in Stubai valley, though.