Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer airfare to Europe - I am going to Rome for $616!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so excited, I just got my plane tickets to Italy! I am going to do the flying into London thing (ATL to LGW = $536) and then EasyJet into Rome and back out of Venice (each leg about $40) two weeks later. To all the fodorites who told me what prices they had gotten on airfare and that encouraged me to neurotically check airfare every day until I got a good price, thank you! And to everyone who is waiting to buy their tickets, I think that is really what you have to do, just check the fares every day....although this may cause your loved ones to be concerned about you always being glued to the computer
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM

audreyleigh, that is fantastic! How much time do you have between est. arrival time at LGW and departure for Venice.

Also, do you know if you have to collect your luggage at LGW, and recheck them onto Easy Jet or when you check the lugggage at ATL do they go straight through to Venice.
Your must be so excited, I would be!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Loveitaly - Thanks, yes, I'm thrilled. This is my first trip to Italy .

On the way there I think we have seven hours between the time we arrive at LGW and the time we leave for Rome on EasyJet (very conservative, I know). On the way back we are actually spending some time in London and staying overnight just to be sure. That way we get to see London(which we haven't seen yet) and don't have to stress about missing our flight.

Also, the London hotel won't add $$ to our trip b/c we deleted one night from Venice to do it (but are leaving Venice very late at night so we have almost the same amount of time there anyway). We are just taking carry ons so we won't have to deal with getting checked luggage (or dragging a bunch of luggage through Italy on the train).
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Audreyleigh, your plans sound great. I am very happy for your first visit to Italy, and I know it won't be the last!

It sounds like you did well in getting the tickets, and the prices seem good for high season.

I can't wait to hear more of your plans. Good for you!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

audreyleigh99, I think you're doing this in a very smart way (well, it's pretty close to how I've done it . Congrats on your great fare and have a good trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Hi audreyleigh, I will try one more time to post my message to you (Fodors seems to not be working to well).

Just wanted to say to you I think you have made some very good travel arrangements. And, as I have stated on another thread, I personally feel that my first trip to Italy was the most exciting and thrilling of all. And I sure wish you the most beautiful trip. I know it will be. Have fun dreaming about it and enjoy every moment when you are in Italy. And also enjoy London!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Congrats Audreyleigh! Which airline are you flying for the $536 transatlantic flight and during which month?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM

Deedee,
It would be a WILD guess ATL-LGW is Delta! However, may not...could be BA but has to be one of the two!

Audrey,
We're all ears on that fare, please share, thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the encouragement! I will definitely keep everyone posted on the details of my trip as they develop.

Traveler863, good guess, yes ATL-LGW is Delta, although BA also has a non-stop flight. I am going for the first two weeks in Sept., which I guess isn't really summer but is still high season (at least according to the hotels I've looked at, LOL). However, I just checked the fare again on itasoftware.com and the fare for BA and Delta have gone back up to $900. NWA is offering a flight for $759 but it isn't direct....yikes. Dee Dee If you are looking for tickets for this route I would definitely wait (checking fares as often as possible), I'm sure prices will dip again.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

audreyleight, September is soooo much better in Italy then August, trust me on this one! Again, you did fantastic, good for you!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM

audrey,
Be carefule to jump on the first deal, especially with dates pretty far out...sales do occur for September.

Your best weapon as a consumer is to check the load, that is how full the flight is. Best way to do that is if you have a way to access seat maps online, if not call the airline and ask specific questions, they will dance around that question and say "oh not so full or its pretty full" get percentages. Once you know this you can then decide whether to play the waiting game or not.

Be careful using itasoftware, while its a great tool it does not pick up unpublished sales, which can only be gotten by selecting specific flights and faring them out on either the airline's website or airline ticket broker sites like Travelocity, etc.

Best of luck to you and happy travels.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:16 AM

I did the Easyjet trip from Paris to Nice and Marseille to Paris a couple of years ago when I got a fantastic price to Paris but wanted to go to the South of France.
I think you are very smart to take carry on. Our bags were lost coming from the States. When we reported it in Paris, you could tell the Lufthansa agents were just a little irritated when they found out we weren't taking their plane to Nice but Easyjet. They delivered our bags, but it took three days.
Have a great trip.