Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The renfre is showing my travel dates earlier than I expected at 73 days out. I do want to take the train after the arrival of our international flight; which arrives at about 7am on a Thursday.

It's been recommended on Fodors that we should allow about 4 hours between our arrival time at the Madrid airport and the train departure at Madrid Atocha. I found an AVE train that leaves around 11:30am the day of our arrival.

I'm trying to decide which ticket fares to purchase online.

IF I purchase the P+ fare in Preferente Class will we be able to access the Preferente Lounge at the train station if we have a long wait for the train or are only full fare Preferente ticket holder given access? I read on a posting here that if you purchase the cheapest Preferente you won't be allowed to use the lounge but I thought someone said by purchasing the "Plus" fare you would.

If all goes well and we have a couple of hours wait I'd like to either take an earlier train or if not available to us then wait in comfort at the train station. Will a P+ Preferente ticket give us that option. Thanks, Deborah
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 09:59 AM

The Preferente Plus fare will give you access to the lounge, but they restrict access to no more than two hours before the scheduled departure.

If you're flight lands at 07:00, you should be able to clear passport control and collect your luggage within an hour, depending on where you're sitting on the plane, and how long it takes the plane to reach the gate (T1 or T4). It takes around 40 minutes for the bus to reach Atocha station, less than 30 minutes by taxi, depending on traffic.

Taking the 10:30 train might fit your timing.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert for the information about the restrictions to the lounge. I wasn't aware of that. Now I just have to hope the Renfe site is happy with my credit card since I've read of so many problems with renfe online tickets and US cards Deborah
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM

If you do have trouble then read through this and head for the section Country information.
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm
It suggests alternative websites.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

ribeirasacra, I'm aware of the alternative sites like petrabax but they do not offer the Promo plus for Preferente, just the lower priced promo; at least on the day I want.

I registered on Renfe and got all the way through the purchase ticket until the credit card page. I thought I should be able to select our seats before I click on the BUY at the bottom of the credit card page. I don't know iff you've ever seen the very complete TripAdvisor post by BennyMalaga about Renfe trains but his info on seat selection comes at #26 and the credit card info is at #33. So I'm hesitant to click the buy without getting our seats or will I have the opportunity to choose our seat after I buy?

Thanks for assistance in this matter, Deborah
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about seat selection if you can purchase your tickets at Renfe.com. If purchased all at once, then the seats are normally assigned next to each other.

If you are having trouble, then I'd suggest Petrabax.com. If you need to call them, there shouldn't be a problem. Milagros or Ceni can take care of you.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 03:14 AM

man at seat 61 website also tells you step by step how to proceed with your booking, with screen shots.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

ribeirasacra, I don't know why but, as much as I appreciate the information that might be available on man in seat 61 site, I can't easily find it. I've not seen the step by step process there as many times as I've been on the site; it seems most helpful if you are leaving from London which I'm not. I'll search there again, Thank you.

Robert, the tickets are expensive enough that I didn't want to click buy without the assurance that we would be given seats together. I wondered if it would be like the airlines which don't always seat travel companions next to each other when assigning seats. I have read about many users from the US having problems with Renfe online so you are right, I don't even know if my purchase will go through!! Petrabax does not offer the P+ Preferente tickets only the cheaper promo for the train we want. Thanks, Deborah
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 07:32 AM

...AVE Madrid - Seville is seldom completely filled since there is a train almost every hour

...Atochs is a very nice station....I would not worry about access to the langue.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

danon, have you ever had a two hour or more wait at Atocha, are there enough places to sit? Our arrival day is a Thursday if that makes a difference in your comments.

Ron and I have had some very uncomfortable long waits at train stations in France and Italy after overnight flights--Since there is a lounge available, I was thinking I might up the comfort level for us on this trip. I am not as familiar with train service in Spain as we have only taken the train once from Girona to Barcelona and we bought our tickets that same day.

Of course, I'd love to save some euros by buying less expensive tickets that wouldn't give access to the lounge if Atocha is such a nice station. Thanks for any comments, Deborah
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM

Have not waited that long ....perhaps an hour?
there
are several cafés and restaurants.., shops etc
one has to go through security control before boarding

this might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...d_-_view_2.JPG
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

I have just successfully purchased my first set of tickets on Renfe--whoopee!! I started small, Cordoba to Sevilla and bought tourist P+ for 10+ euros each for March 16 and I was able to select my seats after the screen where I gave my credit card info but before the credit card company was contacted. So that question is solved.

Now I just have to decide if Preferente is worth the extra money Madrid to Cordoba but since the train ride is less than two hours I'm still undecided. Thanks danon, the Atocha station looks lovely. I remember reading that there are lockers for luggage storage so we probably don't need the lounge amenities even with a possible two hour wait. Thanks again, Deborah
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM

Good for you!
We don't have a problem purchasing on RENFE with Canadian CCs.
The difference in price between P and P+ is not that great...just in cease you do wish to use the
lounge
we usually get P+
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:31 AM

The link to how to purchase train tickets on the man in seat 61 website can be found on the bottom left of the page.
He also has information about seat numbering plans, so you can find out where you want to sit before you book. He says you have to book a seat with all tickets.
The website is worth sitting down and exploring as he gives details on every subject about train travel, not only in Spain. He also posts on this forum, when he has time.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:46 AM

DeborahAnn,

The man in seat 61 says that RENFE has made the Turista Plus and Preferente classes of tickets almost the same now. Here are his comments on recent changes to the classes of train tickets in Spain:
"Turista, Turista Plus, Preferente, Club...
Spanish long-distance trains usually have two classes. Turista = 2nd class, and Preferente = 1st class. Before December 2013, a simple hot tray meal with wine used to be included in the Preferente fare on the most important AVE, Alvia, EuroMed & Altaria trains.

On their front-rank high-speed AVE trains, they then introduced a premium 1st class, called Club. Leather seats and a higher-quality meal and wine were included in the fare, and still are. Simple enough.

In early 2013, they cut catering costs on some less-business-orientated AVEs by replacing Turista, Preferente & Club with Turista, Turista Plus & Preferente, where Turista Plus = 1st class Preferente seating but without the meal & wine. Other AVE trains retained Turista, Preferente and Club. Turista Plus has now been extended onto other long-distance trains, meaning Preferente (1st class) seating but without the at-seat included meal & wine.

Then in December 2013, Renfe abolished the included at-seat meal & wine for Preferente passengers. So now, Turista Plus means 1st class seating without any included at-seat food or wine, and, erm, so does Preferente. No, I don't know what the difference is either, now, apart from the price. Oh, you get access to the Sala Club 1st class lounge at major stations with a Preferente ticket. But now that too is dropped if your Preferente class ticket is of the cheapest Promo type. Is there any point in paying for Preferente rather than Turista Plus? As the Americans would say, "Go figure..."

On the few high-speed AVE trains which still have it, if you can afford it, Club class service is wonderful, with good wine and a high-quality meal, highly recommended.

On all other trains, Turista is perfectly comfortable, and the way most people travel. But if you want the extra space and legroom of a 1st class seat, you'll get this with either a Turista Plus or Preferente ticket. First class seats are usually arranged 2+1 across the car widths, so will include some tables-for-2 and individual solo seats as well as tables-for-4 and unidirectional 2-abreast seats. Turista seats are arranged 2+2 across the car width, so only feature tables for 4 and unidirectional 2-abreast seats."
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Travel on the AVE in Tourist class ifs perfectly fine IMO. These are very new trains.. clean, sleek and many times fairly empty. I suspect you will doze off due to jet lag. Do what your pocket book dictates. But do not fear tourist class on these trains.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and helpful advice. I did just go online and bought the less expensive Turista Plus, promo plus tickets Madrid to Cordoba rather than the Preferente. The Atocha station looks comfortable with plenty of services and shops so even a long wait should be fine.

For the Granada to Madrid train I purchased the Preferente promo plus since on the Altaria Turista Plus seating is not offered and the ride will be over 4 hours. I was surprised I could purchase these tickets already as it's just under 90 days before our travel date. I found buying tickets online at Renfe to be problem free using my Capital One credit card, what a relief!!

Thanks again for the help. Deborah
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:40 AM

Deborah.....did you need to call Capital One before making your purchases to let them know you were making those purchases in Spain?
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Judy, Not for those, but just yesterday they did block my card when I was trying to purchase tickets to the the Horse Show in Jerez. The problem was I had rented two cars for our trip to France just the day before so it looked like suspicious activity

You shouldn't have a problem with online purchases through Capital One unless you have a flurry of activity. They released our account as soon as we called and the purchase went through immediately. I purchased three sets of Renfe tickets without any problems using my Capital One card.

If you track your Capital One account online you can tell right way that the account is suspended before you phone them. The online notice also provides the direct number to the fraud department.

The fraud rep did say that they do want notification when we travel out of the US, contrary to some of the other credit cards. Deborah
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:57 AM

I've always contacted Capital One to notify them I'd be using the card outside the USA -- but will do so prior to buying the train tickets/Alhambra tickets as well to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for the valuable information you are sharing with me, much appreciated!

Judy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -