Sulur Gistiheimili - A guesthouse to avoid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During my vacation in Iceland I booked a single room for one night at the guesthouse “Sulur Gistiheimili” in Akureyri in the afternoon of 06/14/07.
I had driven about five hours from the south of Iceland to Akureyri, a town in the north. I was then very tired and therefore booked the abovementioned room to spend the night there.
At about 11pm that night other guests arrived, obviously youngsters on a drinking spree. They occupied the room below mine and kept making loud noises (beer bottles, and the loud laughs the way drunks utter them). I was unable to sleep in this guesthouse. When I accidentally discovered that some other youngsters outside were urinating against my rental car that was parked on the guesthouse’s premises, I went to the owner and complained with him about the noise and the vandalism.
The owner refused to do anything about the problems whereupon I told him that I wished to leave because of these disturbances. I also told him to undo the credit card charge because I would not be willing to pay so much money (US$82) for a sleepless night and a defiled car. The owner just finally remarked: “Don’t you have parties in the country where you are from?” That was all he would do for me. I told him that I would now leave and that he should not charge me the money for this abominable stay. The owner muttered something unintelligible and left. He was highly uncooperative and was obviously not interested in reproaching his noisy guests. I then left the guesthouse at about 2am in the morning of June 15 and was lucky to find another guesthouse in Reykjavik where I could stay (after having driven back to Reykjavik for nearly five hours)
After my trip, I contacted the guesthouse via email in a nice way on many occasions and even from different email accounts to recover my money. They NEVER EVER responded. While I loved other parts of my stay in Iceland, the night at Sulur Gistiheimili was really, really awful. I can only recommend everybody to avoid this place.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM

While I appreciate your review, I have to wonder why you would drive 5 hours back to Reykjavik at 2am in morning?

You obviously drove 5 hours to Akureyri for a reason. Makes no sense to me. You put up with it for 3 hours... why not a couple of more and not rearrange your trip plans?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM

If your rant were part of a travel report, I would take more seriously.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Ah yes....

You register almost 6 months after the trip, only to complain about a guesthouse?

And you left Akureyri, a town with 6 hotels and 22 guesthouses, for a 5-hour drive to Reykjavik at 2 am after having driven the same route just hours before?

Very convincing....
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obviously, you had not done an in depth study of Icelandic culture before your trip.
You were witness to the"Hafneferti" or Icelandic pee-blessing ceremony. Begun in the Viking Era, during the reign of "Erick the Yellow" all ships were blessed in this manner before long voyages.
These well-meaning youngsters were carrying on a centuries old tradition on our modern form of conveyance.