Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suitable jacket for Pyrenees tour in December

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there! I am planning a day trip to the Pyrenees from Barcelona for my trip this coming December.

I have a question about the required clothing for the trip. Most of the websites state to bring suitable clothing or warm clothing, which is not helpful if you are from the tropics like me. Anything below 22 degrees C is cold to me, so what I would like to know is do I need to buy a specific type of jacket or can a woolen coat (with thermal wear) keep me warm enough?

Appreciate any tips from fellow travellers!
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:14 AM

Think down! It is a travelers best friend. It is light weight yet very warm. It can be stuffed into a little bad and carried along with minimal effort or space. In fact ,some come in just such bags. I'll do a search for something and post back. I have a down vest that I love as it can be worn alone or under another lighter cost/jacket for when the temps drop.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:27 AM

First snow fell yesterday on the Eastern Pyrenees. Where exactly are you going? Above 1500 meters, gloves, hat and boots will be necessary.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Never mind the mountains; you should first worry about Barcelona itself. Plenty of websites will show you the usual temperatures for the city in December. Weather Underground says the average temperature is about 14 Celsius with no days hitting a high near 22. Nights are a good deal chillier than that.
To be flexible, look for a coat with a removable lining, and plan to wear layers of clothing. A warm hat is essential too.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:45 AM

http://snarkynomad.com/why-a-packabl...t-backpacking/

http://www.rei.com/c/womens-down-jackets

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/womens-packable-down-jacket

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sporting%2C370

You get the idea.

Hat, gloves, scarf, warm boots with non slip soles and you're all set.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies!

DebitNM: I did read up about down jackets and I went on to try a few. They make me look like the mascot for Michelin tyres though, but the lightweight quality makes the down extremely appealing. Would a down jacket be too warm (if there is such a thing in wintry Europe)?

Pvoyageuse: I have not decided on a tour company just yet but based on http://www.explorecatalunya.com/pyreneesmountaia.html, I will be at approximately 2000m above. I have gloves and a hat, and a pair of Merrell hiking shoes, which I hope will be suitable as footwear. It is just bulky and I will only be using it once for my entire 2 weeks in Spain, so am not sure if it's a wise idea to bring it along. It's also probably not wise to wear sneakers to Pyrenees, am I correct?

Southam: The last time I was in London and Paris, it was about 7 degrees and worse at night with the wind chill. I took many hot chocolate break. Would a down jacket be too warm for 14 degrees weather? I am looking to minimize my luggage because I am a terrible overpacker and I already have 2 wool-ish coats. :/
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:14 AM

"It's also probably not wise to wear sneakers to Pyrenees"
No, if there is snow your feet will be wet.
Based on the link above, you'll be fine up to Queralbs but it will be cold. Take 2 pairs of socks, leather hiking shoes are not very good on snow (though you won't walk a lot according to the tour details).
Why do you need 2 woollen coats? Take a down jacket that you can wear in the city as well.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:25 AM

Older style down jackets did make one look like the michelin man, but the newer ones are much slimmer. They are often referred to as down sweaters. They do tend to be pricier than the puffy style though. I have seen the slimmer ones here in France at some of the super marches at reasonable prices.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Pvoyageuse: I have 2 from my previous trip to London two Decembers ago and thought of just packing these two without needing to purchase another one. Thanks for the tip about the shoes, mine are waterproof so I think they're good to go

DebitNM: I was at Uniqlo and the puffier ones were definitely cheaper. I will look out for the slimmer style, or maybe just purchase it in Spain itself from one of those Primark type of stores perhaps. Thanks for the tip!

Would a wool/synthetic-blend type of coat be suitable though? If they are, then I don't have to purchase a new coat just for a one day tour.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for entertaining my questions, appreciate all your inputs. I usually go on beach holidays so packing for a winter trip is massive headache for me. The last time I went on one, I overpacked and nearly bought a silly heavy woolen coat.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 03:48 AM

Inner layer: silk long underwear, top and bottom, silk liner socks
Middle layer 1: cashmere pullover and light wool trousers, merino wool socks, liight wool gloves
Middle layer 2: fleece zip up jacket, light or medium weight
Outer layer: wind proof, waterproof parka/anorak (and trousers if you plan extensive outdoor actiivities) and waterproof outer gloves or mittens and a cashmere watch cap that will pull down over your ears.

Dark glasses for snow.

These can be combined as needed for cold, rain, snow, sleet and are not bulky.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:20 AM

If you are only going for a day don't get too hung up on winter gear. Take an extra pair or 2 of socks in case your feet get wet. Your wool coat should do. Wear a sweater or 2 underneath.
Not wind proof but you aren't going far or for long. I can see no point in spending money on anoraks, goretex and silk underwear if you'll never wear them again. Heck... I've spent 60 years in the Ottawa Valley where we get 6 feet of snow and temperatures as low as -40 and I've never owned silk underwear... yet I've managed to survive! ;^)
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 03:10 AM

ParisAmsterdam, my clothing suggestions are a lifetime purchase.

I still have elements of this kit that I have owned since the early eighties. These layers are good for staying outside for an extended period from -20F to raw, wet Scottish days in the 50F range. Buy everything in black or dark grey, and you are good to go wherever and whenever.

Off topic, I remember reading that Soviet diplomats got hardship pay for assignment to Ottawa because it was so cold. If true, I admire your fortitude in doing more than run from door to car in that kind of weather!
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! I will go with ParisAmsterdam's advice and bring extra socks and wing it with my wool coat. As someone who has never seen snow, I am pretty excited to be freezing up in the Pyrenees