Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on one Europe city to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have 2 free international Delta tickets to use this year. No day or city restrictions from the tickets, but we ourselves have to go in June or July (son going to Grmas same time). We are somewhat novice intl. travelers and are wondering if we could get some suggestions from those with more experience on a good city to visit.

About us: he is 50, I am 37. We have been to Jamaica twice (no desire to return to places already visited), cruise in Carib., long weekend in Amsterdam, and I did one week in Ireland. All places were nice; we liked the one city in Europe idea as we will only go for 4-5 days and would rather enjoy city as opposed to traveling. Hubby does not want London or Paris. Otherwise fairly open. We liked Amsterdam in that the public transportation was easy to use, a museum pass was available and we used it quite a bit, and day trips from city were also common if we wanted to venture out, still keeping hotel the same.

We are not pretentious, very laid back and not "Four Seasons" travelers. More along the lines of "Marriott". Love to mingle with people, but we are not "partiers".

Hubby concerned with safety after 9/11, but my feeling is if you stick with the main, respect the locale and their customs, and show some street smarts, you should be ok. We barely share political opinions with each other; certainly not with strangers!
Hope this helps and gives a picture of us. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and if you have any questions, please ask. Thanks again!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:08 AM

Would you prefer to go to a place where it's more likely to find English spoken, or can you get by in other languages? Any particular interests, e.g., art, history, architecture, scenic landscapes, etc.?

It's an intriguing question, and I'm trying to decide where I would go if given the same opportunity.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
ira

Hi SJ,

In this order

Paris

Paris

Paris

A good alternative would be

Paris.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:15 AM

aaaah Ira... while when I read the title I jumped to Paris as well, but Hubster does not want to go to London or Paris...

What about Prague? If you stay in the central part of the city, almost everything is within walking distance. The subway system is also very good.

Another alternative is Venice. There is so much history and art in either of these places that you couldn't go wrong.
nbujic

if the hubby does not like Paris, (Rome may be too hot in July) I would suggest often ignored, beautiful city with grat public transit, history and sites - Stockholm!

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM

If not Paris, I would choose Rome.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:20 AM

How about Barcelona?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ira: Do you want sjbisanz1 to go alone??Of all the cities in Europe -- the <u>only</u> two places the hubby vetoes are London and Paris (though that totally escapes me)

sjbisanz1: You gave us a lot of info - but actually not much to base a recommendation on. Just about every city in Europe has good public transport. Do you want lots of theatre/arts/museums, or more nature/scenery? Something semi-exotic or more an old world major city.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
ira

Hi SJ,

Sorry, I didn't read carefully.

If Hubby is adamant (perhaps you could tell us why) I suggest Copenhagen or Prague.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

Either Rome or (if you don't want the heat)Prague....
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM

For a one city visit in June or July:
1. Munich
2. Venice
3. Barcelona
4. Florence
My number one pick is Munich-lots of things to see, museums if that is your interest, wonderful architecture, great location for day trips, easy publc transportation, friendly helpful people that all seem to speak some English. 4-5 days is ideal to get a feel for Bavaria. You can visit mountains. small villages. tour BMW, and eat great food, not to mention great beer, even for those who are not partiers. Sidewalk cafes, beer gardens, Englisher Garden with surfing on the river (even nude areas if you wish to visit). There are great sights to see only a short train ride away. The castles of Fussen, the Zugispitz, Salzburg, Rothenburg is even doable as a day trip if you leave early in the day. Think about it-its a wonderful place!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM

It would help to know why London and Paris are out. IF I had to pick ONLY one, it would be Rome -- mostly for historical reasons since I like history. However, Rome has many characteristics similar to Paris and London so that could be out also. Also have enjoyed Madrid as a base for day trips. A little less intense than Rome, London, or Paris. Remind you husband that the MOST dangerous part of your trip will be the drive to and from the airport.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM

Rome
Prague
Dubrovnik
Venice
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM

Mackinaw Island, Michigan?

probably &quot;safe&quot;
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM

What says &quot;Europe&quot; to you? Bustling cities full of great museums? Quaint little villages? Fabulous scenery? Help us out a bit in this regard and we can help you out.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM

If I was given that same choice, for that # of days it would be either Rome or Venice, and I have gone to both several times!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM

I vote for Barcelona. Take the ferry over to Ibiza, take the train down to Sitges. Nice beaches, outdoor restaurants. Great subway transportation.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

Since it has come up lately, and I enjoyed my trip there....Vienna
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM

England has many cities that afford a 'good visit'. Chester for one. North Wales is close and there is adequate bus service for daily trips. Plus you may avoid the 'London crowd'. Adventurous? Lithuania, Estonia or Latvia beckon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -