Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Italy

Search

Suggestions on Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Greg

Suggestions on Italy

Next year in Oct. we are planning a trip to Italy and need advice badly. <BR>If we fly into Rome, How is the best way to get to Florence - air or rail? <BR>How many days do we stay for Florence and Venice? <BR>How is the best way to get from Florence to Venice? <BR>Any advice on side trips? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Greg

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Howard

Greg, first question: <BR>How long a trip are you planning? Obviously, that answer will help determine the best answers to some of your other questions (i.e., how much time to spend in each city and what side trips, if any). <BR>As for getting from one city to another, the train is definitely the way to go.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Greg

Sorry, It will be a 2 week trips. Thanks

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Cindy

Greg, I would highly recommend traveling by train between Rome, Florence and Venice. We just returned from our trip to Italy, and took the train to each of these cities. We did rent a car, but didn't use it much except in the Tuscany area. <BR> <BR>I would suggest a 1 - 2 days in Florence and 3 -4 days in Venice.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:41 AM
lisa

With two weeks, I would recommend 5 nights in Rome, 4 in Florence (take a daytrip to Siena), and 4 in Venice. That's 13 nights/14 days. Take trains. No need for a car with this itinerary (in fact, it would be a hindrance -- none of the cities are car friendly), and the train system is excellent and inexpensive. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Rex

An alternative viewpoint: with 14 days, spend six days IN cities, the rest in smaller towns or in the countryside. And DO rent a car. <BR> <BR>And the more Italian you can learn between now and then, the better. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Carol

I agree with Rex. We were in Florence in March, and it became overwhelming. Even though there are so many wonderful places to visit, we needed to get into the countryside. So we rented a car and drove through Tuscany and stayed in Siena...and it was delightful. <BR> <BR>We also took trains from Rome to Naples and Naples to Florence...they were quick and easy. <BR> <BR>Rome and Florence need at least 3 days each. Tuscany deserves a few days as well. We also enjoyed the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. <BR> <BR>There's never enough time to see it all... <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:48 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Greg,I concur with above. Given 13 nites in Italy, I would spend a max of 8 in the major art cites. Rural Tuscany and the cinque terre would be my other 5 nites--with a car. And, the best scenario is to fly into Rome but our of Venice--if possible. Definately train between the cites--getting and dropping your car in Florence. Does that make sense? Good luck !

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Howard

All of the suggestions made thus far are good ones. Thus, you are faced with the happy problem of not going wrong no matter which itinerary you decide on! <BR>As a guideline, I would say 3 days in Rome and 2 each in Florence and Venice and minimum for those cities. Whatever you do, go into the trip knowing that you can't possibly see everything and that you will definitely go back to Italy!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Greg

Thanks all! The advice that come through is to get out of the cities & see the country. I'll do it. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> Greg

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:42 AM
Bev.

Can you tell me about the trains? How much does it cost from Venice to Forence?....Florence to Rome? Can you take a train from Siena to Rome? We'll have a car also in Tuscany, but going into Rome, I'd rather take the train. Do you have to make train reservations in advance?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Rex

Get basic fare info at www.raileurope.com - - and subtract 20-30% if you will simply be patient and buy your tickets there. Or get more detailed info at www.fs-on-line.com - - even though I strongly recommend car rental to see the "real" Italy, the train between Venice and Rome is excellent. And yes, the seats are available by reservation - - typically one day in advance is plenty, and you might do fine 30 minutes in advance. <BR> <BR>You can find several good reports, including the dining car service (for first class) here on this forum. Later today, I will try to bring up one or more, or get the URL(s) of those recent message threads. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Bev.

We will have a car in Tuscany, but thinking of turning it in before we get to Rome. Can we turn it in in Siena and take the train into Rome?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Nancy

Bev, <BR> <BR>We are dropping our car off in Siena (rented thru AutoEurope-Europcar) and then taking the bus to Rome. We took the bus a few years ago at the recommendation of our hotel. It was very clean and a nice drive (3 hours to Rome). There was not a direct train to Rome, you change in Chiusi.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Nancy

Bev, <BR> <BR>Forgot to mention that we are picking our car up in Venice.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Rex

There might be a minor savings in time to drive over to Arezzo (from Siena) and turn in the car there. I have never done this (turned a car in there - - I have driven between the two), but as I look at the schedule, I think it will pay for itself in time. <BR> <BR>And you could get a look at Arezzo, if you wish. <BR>