Suggestions on a spring Greece trip

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on a spring Greece trip

Am hoping to celebrate my 40th in Greece next spring - we are thinking April or May, based on what I've read regarding weather...any thoughts on this timing would be helpful.

We're thinking 10-12 days will be all we can manage.

For sure want to do Athens and Santorini. Would like to add at least one other spot to the list.

Mykonos was originally what we thought, but have heard/read that it's more of a party place, and I don't know if that's what we're looking for..although I've heard great things about the island.

Crete is another option - don't know much about it...

Paros was also recommended, and it sounds like the beaches are great there, and water activities are abound...

We definitely want to do some type of sailing trip - a day or half day, probably out of Santorini.

So...any suggestions/thoughts/recommendations would be great. It's our first time to Greece. Also open to hearing other suggested locations or things to do!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Also...wondering if it is best to book a vacation "package", or to book separately...do you think that the "packages" include lower rates at hotels, etc due to volume? I'm perfectly happy reading, researching and planning on our own - but want to be smart about exploring options.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Any of those Islands would be a great choice. April and May are very early in the season, too soon for partying on Mykonos or any other island. Many hotels and restaurants will not open until May. If you wish to spend time on beaches, travel as late in May as possible.

Don't automatically assume that your only choices are Athens and the islands. Also consider a combination of Athens, Santorini, and Nafplio or Delphi.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Especially Mainland Greece in April and May is very beautiful there are flowers everywhere, nature is magical and there are lots of greats places to see.
You could make a trip to Pelion one of the greenest areas of Greece with traditional villages and many small boutique hotels, and visit then the Meteora.
Or you could do a tour to Delphi and continue to a tour of the Peloponnese, an amazing area especially in the spring.

Mykonos is not necessarily a party place.... you can have a great time, enjoy the great cafes and restaurants, the great beaches. I ve been to Mykonos at least 20 times, it was always quite away from the party scene.....

If you want to spend some time on the beach, i am afraid the water will be rather too cold in May....
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Nafplio is my favorite town in Greece. The town itself is charming, and many easy side trips are also possible.
If you go, definitely stay in the "old town", not the modern part.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it! For this trip, I'm hoping to do the islands...I'll come back for a mainland trip, but I love hearing about all of these fantastic places.

Now to find a job where unlimited time off is acceptable...

Thanks again - any other suggestions are welcome!
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Hi,

The weather April and May might be fine. I have been to Greece in April and there was some rain but not a lot. But the sea is still very cold. I am use to cold water, but I could not go in for a swim. At the end of May the sea might be warmer. I have been to Greece at the end of June and the water was delightful. I think if you want the islands for this trip you should go in June. April and May are great months to tour the mainland. Also there are beautiful beaches on the mainland. Crete would be a good choice. In April the wild flowers should be fabulous. There are great beaches on Crete. Again I am not sure if the water would be too cool for swimming. In my opinion Crete has the best Greek food.

Have a great vaca. Yipper
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Hi WiscHill,

If, as your screen name suggests, you are from Wisconsin, be aware that weather in late April/early May on the Greek Islands is very similar to that in southern WI. I originally come from WI myself, so know of what I speak. You may be lucky and get some warm weather, but equally it could be cold. I wait until June to go to the islands these days. Actually I'm on the Greek Islands right now, having arrived in late August. It's already getting cool, and I'm going to wear a jacket when I go out for a meal tonight.

I wonder what it is you are looking to see and do on the islands that early in the year? The season on the Greek Islands begins in May, and doesn't get into full swing until mid-June. So when you arrive many of the shops and restaurants will be still be closed. If you expect the Greek Islands to be like you see in the travel brochures you may be disappointed.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I love all of your candid responses, this is helping us out so much. We typically do our "big" trip in the Jan-March timeframe...knowing that Greece is further north/colder, we pushed it out to April-May. However...based on this I think we're talking now about end of May into June....sounds like that could be a better bet.

We've locked in on Athens and Santorini as spots we want to see...and now thinking about a 3rd spot - either Mykonos or Crete. I am leaning towards Crete at this time...

Thanks again for everyone's responses!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Don't forget Crete is a big Island & shouldn't be rushed. OUr last trip to Greece included Athens at beginning & end-Paros a week-loved it,we were there for Greek orthodox Easter & had a wonderful celebration at our timeshare-but it was a little chilly-pool not open yet. 3 nights in Santorini-Spectacular-It will be a highlight,then a week in Crete-It is further South so warmer.
We saw Delphi on our first visit to Greece-not to be missed.
Have a wonderful time-I love looking at that georgous blue water. Enjoy-Chris
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM

Hi again,

You won't regret delaying your trip until late May - early June -- my absolute favourite time to be on the Greek Islands. That makes a trip concentrating on the islands much more feasible. Practically everything is open by then, and the islands still have a fresh "start of season" feeling.

Coming from the US, Athens is a given, and best left until the end of your trip. Fly directly to Santorini upon arrival if you can, maximising your short time in Greece. Crete would be a good combination with Santorini, as it has daily ferry connections to Heraklion. Other islands to consider, apart from Mykonos, are Naxos and Paros, both on the main ferry route from Santorini back to Athens.

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Yipper and/or Heimdall,
Thanks for the notes on the temperatures May v. June. We really, really want to swim and snorkle, and would be vastly disappointed to miss it if water were too cold. We could wait to be in the islands as late as mid-June, but does 'into full-swing' translate to 'really crowded'? We potentially have 3-4 weeks, and are flexible, altho we tend to travel late May-early June. Your advice? And we love Wisconsin!
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM

"Full swing" simply means all the hotels and restaurants are open and ferry timetables are on the full summer schedule. It won't be crowded.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Water is still a little chilly in mid June, but definitely swimmable. Temperatures are a little warmer further south, but not so you would notice. Warmest waters are in shallow coves, whatever the island.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I think water will be too cold for swimming in the ocean but outside weather should be very warm. If you can go in the fall, mid september if you can. And checkout Milos island if you want lots of beaches to explore.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM

We were in Crete (near Chania) in mid-June this year and the water was absolutely lovely.