Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions of great photo opportunities in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Sandi

Hello all! I'm getting very excited about going to Rome in two weeks. I saw the thread recently about good photo opportunities in Paris and wondered about the same thing for Rome. Has anyone heard about a "Keyhole view" of St. Peters? Not sure what or where this may be. <BR><BR>Do the Swiss Guards have any kind of ceremonies that the public can view, similar to changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London? I haven't seen anything about it but was just wondering. <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Capo

Hi Sandi. One of the things I loved about Rome was the warm tones and rich colors of so many of the buildings. And, of the areas of Rome that I really liked for this was the former Jewish Ghetto, between the Teatro di Marcello and Via Arenula. <BR><BR>This area also has one of my favorite fountains in Rome, the charming little Fontana delle Tartarughe (Tortoise Fountain), in Piazza Mattei. <BR><BR>I also loved the gorgeous orange and yellow colors of the Quirinale Palace (with the Italian flag flying above), especially from the Piazza del Quirinale.<BR><BR>The website below says that Villa del Priorato di Malta (I don't know where that is) is a site that's famous for its keyhole view of St. Peter's. <BR><BR>http://www.travelitaly.it/tours_villas_eng.html

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 01:39 AM
karen

Sandi - <BR>You'll have a great time. Don't have the address for the "keyhole" view, but as Capo said, its a view through the entrance door of the Knights of Malta. We had a driver who took us there. Don't know if you could get a photo, but you actually look through the keyhole of a big wooded door which opens into a garden where there is a stone archway positioned in direct line with St Peter's Dome - beautiful on a clear day! Some of our photos I enjoy most include pics in Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori (during daily market), Spanish steps with flowers (they'll be out during your visit since its lent), and the ones we took of Rome from the top of the St Peters dome (after the vertigo subsided). Bottom line is there are postcard views everywhere you turn! Have fun.<BR>Karen

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Vita

Hi, Sandy. Definitely take pictures in color, but if you can try to take some black and white pictures too. A lot of the architecture, the Colosseum, the Forum, the bridges, the piazze, the people, and Castel Sant'Angelo, look wonderful in black and white. I had a lot of time in Rome so I took pictures in color, then just walked around for a day and took pictures in black and white.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Sandi

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. I can't wait to see all this for myself!<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Howard

The Colosseum/Roman Forum area is a natural for all sorts of great shots. For example:<BR>*Look through some of the arches in the area and frame your subject (i.e., some ruins, a building, etc.) inside the arch. <BR>*If you've got a real sunny day with few clouds, it's as simple as pointing your camera to the top tier of the Colosseum, with your picture showing the vivid blue sky through the portals.<BR>*From above or from within, the Forum is a natural.<BR>*Piazza Navona is considered by many to be the most beautiful square in Rome.<BR>*One interesting set of photos could be the Spanish Steps taken at various times during the day. You'll see the numbers of people increase as the day progresses, with it becoming wall-to-way people at nightfall.<BR>In general, you show have little trouble finding photo ops in Rome!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Howard

Oops, the word in the last sentence should be "should." not "show." Sorry.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Book Chick

I was in Castel Sant'Angelo at sunset a few weeks ago, around 5-5:30pm. I took a lot of shots of the Roman skyline that really turned out well.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:29 AM
JoeL

The keyhole is on the Aventine Hill down the street from S. Sabina. The view from the orange grove at S. Sabina is quite pretty, too.<BR><BR>In the 1875 edition of "Walks in Rome" Augustus J.C. Hare gives "The following list may be useful as a guide to some of the best subjects for artists who wish to draw at Rome, and have not the time to search for themselves: --"<BR>Morning Light: <BR><BR> Temple of Vesta with the fountain <BR> Arch of Constantine from the Coliseum (early) <BR> Temples in the Forum from the School of Xanthus <BR> View form the Garden of the Rupe Tarpeia <BR> In the Garden of S. Giovanni e Paolo <BR> In the Garden of S. Buonaventura <BR> In the Garden of the S. Bartolomeo in Isola <BR> In the Garden of S. Onofrio <BR> On the Tiber from Poussin's Walk <BR> From the door of the Villa Medici <BR> At S. Cosimato <BR> At the back entrance of Ara Coeli <BR> At the Portico of Octavia <BR> Looking to the Arch of Titus up the Via Sacra <BR> In the Cloister of the Lateran <BR> In the Cloister of the Certosa <BR> Near the Temple of Bacchus <BR> On the Via Appia, beyond Cecilia Metalla <BR> Torre Mezza Strada on the Via Appia <BR> Torre Nomentana, looking to the mountains <BR> Ponte Nomentana, looking to the Mons Sacer <BR> Torre die Schiavi, looking towards Tivoli <BR> Aqueducts at Tavolato<BR><BR>Evening Light: <BR><BR> From St. John Lateran <BR> From the Ponte Rotto <BR> From the Terrace of the Villa Doria (St. Peter's) <BR> Palace of the Caesars- Roman side- looking to Sta. Balbina <BR> Palace of the Caesars- French side- looking to the Coliseum <BR> Apse of S. Giovanni e Paolo <BR> Near the Navicella <BR> Garden of the Villa Mattei <BR> Garden of the Villa Wolkonski <BR> Garden of the Priorato <BR> Porta S. Lorenzo <BR> Torre dei Schiavi, looking towards Rome <BR> Via Latina, looking towards the Aqueducts <BR> Via Latina, looking towards Rome <BR><BR>For the most part they still work today. See http://www.nadn.navy.mil/ChemDept/fa...max/photo.html

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 09:48 AM
dan woodlief

People pics: <BR>The Roman soldiers at the Colosseum; the square at Santa Maria in Trastevere in the evening; Spanish Steps; Pantheon; Campo dei Fiori - especially during the market hours, but afternoons too<BR><BR>Good viewpoints include these:<BR>Forum from the Palentine Hill; top of St. Peters; top of Castel Sant'Angelo for the Vatican especially; Fabricius bridge which crosses Tiber Island (nice at sunset); top of the Spanish Steps<BR><BR>Night/but especially Dusk - Trevi Fountain and surroundings; Roman Forum {you can prop your camera on the wall up at the Campidoglio (right side of the building above the forum) for long exposure shots as the lights come on in the ruins}; Piazza Navona; Pantheon<BR><BR>Fountains - all over the place; Turtles already mentioned by someone else; Trevi; Piazza Barberini; Piazza Navona; St. Peters Square; Piazza della Republicca<BR><BR>Swiss Guards - the left of St. Peters Basilica, if you are facing it, at the gate beside the building<BR><BR>A few assorted tips:<BR><BR>The Roman soldiers will pose for photos with you (they will take the shots of you with other soldiers/emperors/gladiators) at the Colosseum - about ten bucks and touristy but worth it for a great memento<BR><BR>In the squares and at the Colosseum and Spanish Steps, watch the contrast - you will get lots of shadowing much of the day; this can result in blown out highlights or very dark shadows; try to include as much of one tone as you can to avoid this (i.e., concentrate on the sunlit areas or the shadowy areas but not both when you can help it)<BR><BR>St. Peters is best early until about 9:00-9:30 to avoid crowds<BR><BR>Lighting - Afternoons are great for the Colosseum exterior; mornings are great for the Roman Forum, shooting back toward the Campidoglio; afternoon seemed just right for the Spanish Steps - shadows late though.<BR><BR>