Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions? Now That I Am FINALLY Able To Start Planning 2nd Italy Trip! Second trip!

Search

Suggestions? Now That I Am FINALLY Able To Start Planning 2nd Italy Trip! Second trip!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:08 PM
nancy

I decided even before I *returned* from our first Italy trip last July, that I had to go again, ASAP. <BR> <BR>At first I was going to do a solo, <BR>but my friend( who joined our family for our second week) would like to do a Europe trip with me. <BR> <BR>Things I do know for sure; <BR>1- We will be going the last part of May, and be away for 8-9 days (not including the two flight days ) <BR> <BR>2-Since we have a friend in Montreaux, Switzerland, we will start out there , and stay at her place. <BR> <BR>3- I can NOT go to Europe without going back to Italy. <BR>Tenatively thinking of Venice this time. <BR> <BR>So, <BR>Fly to Geneva, <BR>Train it to Montreaux <BR>Stay in Montreaux for at least 3 days? <BR>Then, <BR>any suggestions on getting to to Venice? <BR>I enjoyed driving in Italy, but, I am thinking of a train.More relaxing and I can enjoy the scenary (sp) <BR>Then spend the rest of the time in Venice. <BR>Or maybe train it into Italy, <BR>rent a car, and drive somewhere for a night or two, then drive to Venice? <BR>But, will this leave me enough days for Venice? (4 nights?) <BR> <BR>Oh what a dilemma <BR>Boy, it seemed so much simpler to plan a 3 week family trip. <BR> <BR>So, does anyone have any suggestions for me? <BR>This will be such fun! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:10 PM
nancy

Oops, sorry for the typo in header! <BR>One more thought. <BR>I could possibly add another couple days to my trip and stay on, if friend needs to leave. <BR>I am really just limited by my imagination (and of course, budget)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:15 PM
Linda

Nancy, know your feeling well. Did you read my post on Analysis Paralysis? Good luck--it can be one of the hardest things you've ever done. My suggestion? (It's always easier to suggest for somebody else than to make a decision for yourself, isn't it? But then you don't have to live with the decision!) Limit your trip to Montreaux and Venice. Three days in Montreaux, one day travel, four days in Venice. And I'd take the train, though you might want to consider flying if that would be cheaper. It would maximize your time in Venice (or Montreaux). If you can squeeze out the additional days, add Verona to your itinerary, a gorgeous little city.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:32 PM
nancy

Linda, <BR>I am putting my "in an accident with a tree last night" daughter to bed now. <BR>But, thanks for resonding! <BR>I did NOT see your post. <BR> But, love the name, Analysis Paralysis. <BR>When was it? <BR>I will try to pull it up tomorrow. <BR> <BR>I think you are correct in limiting. <BR>that is why we only did Rome and Formia on our almost 3 week trip. <BR>I enjoy being in a place and "relaxing" <BR>Have you ever been to Switzerland? <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:42 PM
Linda

Nancy, Analysis Paralysis was posted yesterday. Have done just a little of Switzerland--not enough, that's for sure. It's on my list of places to return to. Unfortunately, like you, Italy keeps calling my name (or is that yelling?). Think I'll take a page from your book and do two countries at once. Paris and Italy. Yorkshire Moors and Italy. Ireland and Italy. They have a great ring!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:48 PM
Susan

Nancy: I was in Montreaux 30 years ago on a ski trip during college. We stayed there for a whole week, with day trips (I think 3 of the days) to ski resorts and 1 to Bern. I remember looking out of our hotel window and thinking, "The mountains really do look like a postcard!" At least then, the town of Montreaux itself was very nice, good for shopping, and we had a wonderful cheese fondue there (of course I don't remember the name of the restaurant). One of the ski trips was to Zermatt, nice with no cars or trucks allowed and also beautiful scenery with the Matterhorn. Have a great time! <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:18 AM
Patti Suttle

Nancy-hi! Wanted to say good for you!! <BR>So glad you have begun the process of planning your trip! What fun! I am just so happy that that you are really going to do that trip! You go girl!!! <BR>Patti

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:49 AM
nancy

Susan, <BR>Lucky you! <BR>I stupidly turned down a college trip to Bern 30 yrs ago! <BR>thanks, any good words about the area will help get me excited about that part of the trip. <BR>Patti- thanks. <BR>Do they sell any little trinkets of the Alps ? Want one? <BR>Linda, you are right. <BR>I can not think of any word that does *not* go with Italy! <BR> <BR>We are going to do the Swiss part first, that way I will not find myself "pining away" for Italy, while in <BR>Montreaux, that would sure be a waste of time and energy! <BR> <BR>Anyone with suggestions on getting from Montreaux to Venice? <BR>I would prefer to "use" the traveling time to enjoy what I pass through. <BR> <BR>