suggestions for yorkshire dales area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will spend 11 days in England in July. We fly into Heathrow and out of Manchester so that we can spend time in Yorkshire (and perhaps Durham). We plan to spend at least five days driving in Yorkshire. Suggestions for a beautiful scenic route and not-to-be missed sites? Can you suggest a central B&B or small hotel? We've visited York and Castle Howard on previous visits and really want to focus on the countryside.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Europe Forum
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This place in Aysgarth isn't 'central' but it is very convenient for getting to anywhere in the Dales https://www.stowhouse.co.uk (stayed there once before the new owners and a total refurbishment -- not sure I would have recommended it if still under the previous owner/decor - loved the location but the land lady/decor were -- shall we say -- a little eccentric )

But really you have sooooooo many choices -- hopefully Morgana or one of the other more local Fodorites will see your thread.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
JJ - a few years ago we stayed at a B&B near there that was a little eccentric, including a communal table for breakfast. Fun though. Perhaps it comes with the territory.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by annhig
JJ - a few years ago we stayed at a B&B near there that was a little eccentric, including a communal table for breakfast. Fun though. Perhaps it comes with the territory.
I'll match you for 'eccentric' Totally purple room - I mean totally purple - well the sheets were sort of lilac/lavender-ish, but otherwise, purple striped wallpaper, satin bedspread, curtains, silk flowers, candles, lampshade . . . PURPLE - and loud patriotic music to call guests to breakfast (served 8:45-9:30 sharp) One morning was Land of Hope and Glory, the next was Rule Britannia - honestly don't remember morning three's serenade . . .

Like I said - looking at the current photos on the website the new owners have a different 'esthetic'.

Last edited by janisj; Mar 19th, 2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The abbeys are worth a visit, https://www.britainexpress.com/count...beys/index.htm
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the most beautiful drive in Yorkshire is that from Otley to Masham (Maz Ham) on the back road (Pateley Bridge) and you could modify that to take in Bolton Abbey and Fountains Abbey. I'd base in Masham, but all the roads are very slow so think about that a bit. If staying in Masham the White Bear is the place to stay.

But I suspect you really want to be near a busier road to get around. Like the Sedburgh to Aysgarth road.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 01:26 AM

You’ve already received some great advice. I live near Masham and would second it as a good base.
It is a small market town with two breweries you can tour. It’s never overrun with tourists.
Jervaulx Abbey is just up the road.
Swinton Park Hotel is close by and if you REALLY want to push the boat out there’s the totally fabulous Grantley Hall Hotel. But as they say in Yorkshire, you’ll need deep pockets! And I doubt you’ll find purple sheets!
The Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton does very good food and has some lovely accommodation.
Janis - the Yorke Arms is now a wedding venue type place and not a restaurant with rooms anymore!
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 02:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can recommend the Rose and Crown in the tiny village of Romaldkirk, I've stayed there a couple of times.
https://www.rose-and-crown.co.uk/

The food is excellent and rooms very nice, no purple Janis. It's handy enough for driving to Durham and the surrounding area. It's close to Barnard Castle and close enough to do a day trip up to Hadrian's Wall.

Last edited by Rubicund; Mar 20th, 2022 at 02:35 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Morgana
You’ve already received some great advice. I live near Masham and would second it as a good base.
It is a small market town with two breweries you can tour. It’s never overrun with tourists.
Swinton Park Hotel is close by and if you REALLY want to push the boat out there’s the totally fabulous Grantley Hall Hotel. But as they say in Yorkshire, you’ll need deep pockets! And I doubt you’ll find purple sheets!
The Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton does very good food and has some lovely accommodation.
Janis - the Yorke Arms is now a wedding venue type place and not a restaurant with rooms anymore!
Oh -- that's too bad about the Yorke Arms. It would have been a wonderful place to stay. I imagine the lock downs took a huge toll on them.

The B&B I stayed no longer has purple sheets - nor morning reveille I'm pretty sure. I read about the place being sold a couple of years ago and checked out the new website and it looks quite lovely. The building and grounds and proximity to the falls were great and now it looks like the 'hospitality side' of things may have caught up.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
I'll match you for 'eccentric' Totally purple room - I mean totally purple - well the sheets were sort of lilac/lavender-ish, but otherwise, purple striped wallpaper, satin bedspread, curtains, silk flowers, candles, lampshade . . . PURPLE - and loud patriotic music to call guests to breakfast (served 8:45-9:30 sharp) One morning was Land of Hope and Glory, the next was Rule Britannia - honestly don't remember morning three's serenade . . .

Like I said - looking at the current photos on the website the new owners have a different 'esthetic'.
I certainly can't compete with that, JJ. It sounds ghastly. You did well to make it through to Day 3 tbh. We once stayed in a "casa" in Cuba where our room was entirely pink, including the bathroom. We only made it through from the evening of our arrival to the next morning, but tbf that was for other reasons too.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 04:07 PM

If you are a Bronte fan (like me) considering driving to Haworth to visit the Bronte parsonage, church, cemetery, and exploring the charming little village. You could even take a hike on the moors. It was the highlight of our 2014 trip to see the home of such talented sisters. Some of the rooms are so small...how could they hold the family and all their literary characters? Amazing.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janeyre
If you are a Bronte fan (like me) considering driving to Haworth to visit the Bronte parsonage, church, cemetery, and exploring the charming little village. You could even take a hike on the moors. It was the highlight of our 2014 trip to see the home of such talented sisters. Some of the rooms are so small...how could they hold the family and all their literary characters? Amazing.
Yikes! Sorry about the sloppy first sentence! I've written twice to the moderators for an edit, but nothing has been updated in several days. Here is the re-direct: If you are a Bronte fan (like me, clearly) consider driving to Haworth to visit the Bronte parsonage, church, cemetery and make time to explore the charming little village. I couldn't let that sentence hang out there like that!

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtmsi
My husband and I will spend 11 days in England in July. We fly into Heathrow and out of Manchester so that we can spend time in Yorkshire (and perhaps Durham). We plan to spend at least five days driving in Yorkshire. Suggestions for a beautiful scenic route and not-to-be missed sites? Can you suggest a central B&B or small hotel? We've visited York and Castle Howard on previous visits and really want to focus on the countryside.
Thanks so much! We don't mind eccentric places -- we're from Georgia in the US, after all! I'll check out your suggestion.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm a huge Bronte fan and will certainly put Haworth on our list.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions! We are not in a hurry and would actually enjoy back roads and a slow ride.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Morgana
Thanks for the great info. I can't wait to get there, with or without purple sheets! Two breweries and few tourists -- sounds right up our alley.