Reload this Page >

Suggestions for travel to Berlin.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:02 PM
Mary Kay

I will be joining my husband on a business trip to Berlin. I have never been to Germany before and would like some suggestions on what to see. We will be restricted mainly to Berlin, as we will be there with other business associates. I do want to make to most of this trip; I don't know when/if I will be able to get to Germany again. Any ideas on great restaurants, must see places, etc.. would be appreciated.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:49 PM
kay

Especially if you think you may not get back to Germany again -- and if you like old palaces and beautiful gardens -- be sure to take a day trip out to Potsdam, a town on the western outskirts of Berlin. You can think of it as a suburb and then you get the idea of how far it is from the center of Berlin. Anyway, Prussian King Frederick the Great built a palace there, his own version of Versailles. Then several others were built. It is all delightful and very tranquil, especially when compared to the hubbub of modern Berlin. I loved Berlin, but it is not exactly beautiful. But it is alive and exciting.Take bus 100 all around the center of Berlin and that gives you a good quick overview of the center of the city. I would also read up on its history before you go, such history!

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:51 PM
Richard

My strongest memories of Berlin are driving through East Germany, early 60's and again in early 80's, to get there, and the relief felt upon arrival. At that time, the 'wall' was still up and Checkpoint Charlie was still functioning. But I digress, the bombed out ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Church and the bust of Nefertiti are my take-away memories of Berlin.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:34 PM
Linda

Berlin is an incredible city. You will enjoy it so much. The Checkpoint Charlie Museum was excellent, as are its many art museums. They have one with an entire ancient ruin (begins with a P). Potsdam is nice as Kay mentioned. You may wish to take a side trip to Dresden (2 hrs by train)--completely rebuilt after war & nearby is Meissen (if you like porcelin). The Olympic Stadium, where Jesse Owens ran, is interesting. Shopping on Kurfurstendam Strasse is excellent in all price ranges (Ka De We Department store is fun). Unter Der Linden is near the newly redone Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate. Historically, Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift), the old Jewish sector are of interest. I don't think you will be bored. It is a great city.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 12:49 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mrs Kay <BR> <BR>Many sites in English to interest you are linked on http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/...en/berlin.html. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>It's a great city at a great moment of Europe's history. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 07:04 AM
Mary Kay

Thanks for all the great tips on sightseeing. I'm sure it will make our trip even better. Kay, I have been researching the history of Berlin and agree with you that it is fasinating. That is one of the reasons I am so excited about going there. Two more questions if anyone has the time... First, I will be about six months pregnant when we go, is the public transportation good? And second, how much German will I need to know? Right now, the only German phrases I know I learned from the Sound of Music!

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 05:56 PM
Linda

The public transportation is excellent. You will have no trouble with finding English speakers. Everyone is very nice and helpful.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 08:17 AM
kay

Mary Kay, if you've been reading up on the history, I recommend doing this. Take the metro to the KuDamm stop that lets you out right in front of the KaDeWe department store that Linda mentioned. Walk up the stairs and look to your left. You will see a large, freestanding sign that talks about the Nazi concentration camps. It will be the only thing you will see in Berlin like that, right there, out in the open. The KaDeWe department store had been very famous before WWII, and was owned by a prominent Jewish family. I am missing a few details on this, but the jest of things is that when the department store was reopened after the war, someone to do with that family insisted that that sign be placed there. You can go to all the other stops and won't find anything like it. You have to try really hard to find the site of Hitler's bunker, but it is there too. It is an absolutely amazing experience to be there. And yes, I agree with Linda...she's right as usual...lots of English spoken, and the transportation is great. Oh yes, do go to Museum Island and especially see the Pergamon Museum that has antiquities from Greece and the near east that are staggering!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 08:27 AM
pam

I would add my suggestion to visit the new Kaiser Wilhelm church, with stained glass by Gabriel Loire. The 'Chartres blue' is so beautiful, and lends such a feeling of peace. Loire's style is very distinctive and his work is in many places around the world. <BR> <BR>Also, on the wall of the old Synagogue, which was burnt on Kristallnacht/Night of the Broken Glass, there is a moving commemorative plaque. <BR> <BR>Berlin is a wonderful city.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Jessie

Mary <BR>How did you find Hitler's bunker? Is it marked or did you do a sort of archaeological search using a variety of resources? <BR>Jessie.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 10:30 AM
Jessie

Mary <BR>How did you find Hitler's bunker? Is it marked or did you do a sort of archaeological search using a variety of resources? <BR>Jessie.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 02:00 PM
Kay

Finding Hitler's bunker: I always use a variety of sources when research for a trip. One of the guide books, and only one, of the four or so I used described where the bunker site is. We found it, and a few other people staring at it in the rain last October. There are absolutely no signs! It is in the midst of the largest construction site, however, and perhaps something has happened to it since then. But the last I read, there was no decision as to what to do with that particular site. If you really want me to (jsut ask) I can dig through my guide books and find the name of the streets, etc.