Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for places for Romantic Getaways in Europe..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 1998, 07:54 AM
Sharma Reddy

Hi All,

I will be getting married in May of 98 and would like your suggestions for places to go to in Europe for a Romantic Getaway. I am planning on a two week trip and would like to know which of the places are recommended.

Also if you are aware of any particular travel agents/agencies which specialize in arranging such travel please do let me know. Any address/phone number/web address of such travel agents in the US or in Italy or Switzerland will be appreciated.

Thanking all of you in advance...

Bye
Sharma

Old Jan 16th, 1998, 04:40 PM
michael

Hi Sharma:

Any travel agent should be able to assist you. However, you should get some guide books and read about the many, very different destinations over there. You can go to the mountains, to palm lined beach resorts, to green countrysides with castles and vineyards. There is a lot! I would recommend looking into Caslte Combe in Wiltshire, England, the Loire Valley in France, Zermatt in the Swiss Alps, Provence, Capri and the Amalfi coast. These are but a few. You have lots of options.

Old Jan 17th, 1998, 11:12 PM
Donna

Switzerland is an excellent choice. A tour is a great idea if you are inexperienced at booking European travel yourself, but probably not the best way to spend a honeymoon. The rest of your group is likely to be retired folks. And, your time will not be your own. Suggest you select a base point in a town where accomodations are more reasonably priced (not the heavily touristed towns such as Lucerne). You can make endless wonderful day trips by car or train. The wonderful thing about train travel in Switzerland is that the train station is always centrally located and nearly all sites and attractions are within walking distance. You might want to stay some nights in one area of the country and other nights in another. Of course, you just can't beat Paris for a romantic destination. You could easily fill two weeks exploring Paris and taking a few day trips. Leaving everything up to a travel agent, especially if you are not particularly knowledgeable, is very risky. They may be inclined to book you in the most commission-beneficial places for them, as opposed to more charming and better value for the dollar accomodations which are much better located. Tour guides are excellent resources for suggestions.

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 08:55 PM
saaju

Switzerland: The best for landscape. May/June is a good time. I spend 3 months Apr-Jun 97 in CH. Recommended places: Interlaken, Lucerne, Montreaux, Lugano, Zermatt( take the route Zermatt-Visp-Copenstein-Kenderstag-Thun-Zurich ) on the way back. Rental cars from ZRH airport is cheap - about $35-$40/day. Expensive country though. Food and Hotels are not cheap. Rental car, or by train is the best way to explore Switzerland. Trains might be expensive ( I havn't done much train travel ).
If you have time - go the Geneva ( Swiss-French border), Innsbruck in Austria, cross lake Lugano into the Italian side etc. All these places have the prettiest sights I have seen.
Don't spend more than a day in Zurich - expensive and nothing to offer. Best places are the parks near the See ( the lake ).

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 08:58 PM
saaju

Switzerland: The best for landscape. May/June is a good time. I spend 3 months Apr-Jun 97 in CH. Recommended places: Interlaken, Lucerne, Montreaux, Lugano, Zermatt( take the route Zermatt-Visp-Copenstein-Kenderstag-Thun-Zurich ) on the way back. Rental cars from ZRH airport is cheap - about $35-$40/day. Expensive country though. Food and Hotels are not cheap. Rental car, or by train is the best way to explore Switzerland. Trains might be expensive ( I havn't done much train travel ).
If you have time - go the Geneva ( Swiss-French border), Innsbruck in Austria, cross lake Lugano into the Italian side etc. All these places have the prettiest sights I have seen.
Don't spend more than a day in Zurich - expensive and nothing to offer. Best places are the parks near the See ( the lake ).

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 05:46 PM
Rod Hoots

Fly to Zurich, rent a car and drive down to Interlaken. Stay in the Victoria Jungfrau Hotel and day trip out of there. Then drive to Venice and turn in the car on arrival. Stay at the Gritti Palace Hotel. You can fly out of Venice. Have a reputable travel agent make the arrangements. Check Fodor's for things to do in each location. The hotels are expensive but very romantic and, hey, it's your honeymoon!

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 05:50 PM
Rod Hoots

Fly to Zurich, rent a car and drive down to Interlaken. Stay in the Victoria Jungfrau Hotel and day trip out of there. Then drive to Venice and turn in the car on arrival. Stay at the Gritti Palace Hotel. You can fly out of Venice. Have a reputable travel agent make the arrangements. Check Fodor's for things to do in each location. The hotels are expensive but very romantic and, hey, it's your honeymoon!

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 11:04 PM
hyunka

sharma, my fiance and i are also planning our honeymoon for july in italy and france, and a lot of places are already booked-- so start immediately. in terms of books, there is a lot of great stuff out there-- but i've really come to like the eyewitness books. great for people who aren't necessarily on a budget but don't want to spend US$600/night on hotels. the books are expensive, but a lot of people i trust use that book. also, make sure you know what festivals/special events are going on at a given time- we had to rearrange our plans becuase of the world cup in paris. FYI, we've decided on driving down from munich to amalfi (and all the beautiful italian cities in between) and then to paris. good luck.