Suggestions for Our Germany/Switzerland Trip in May 06

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you know, we traveled to Germany and Austria last year, visiting mostly the smaller towns and villages. We are planning another trip in May to Germany and Switzerland. We are flying into and out of Frankfurt, leaving Houston 4 May and returning 19 May. I've already got my airline tickets and have booked a few of our hotels. What I'm looking for are suggestions for things that you feel are must see's that I haven't mentioned. Thanks!

Day 1 - Arrival in Frankfurt. Drive to Bacharach. Reservations at the Rhein Hotel for 84 Euro.

Days 2 & 3 - Plan to recover from jet lag and visit the many small towns along the Rhine. Plan to visit Marksburg Castle for sure. Husband wants to also see Burg Maus. Anything else we shouldn't miss?

Day 4 - Drive to Gengenbach in the Black Forest with a stop in Speyer. Tentatively planning to stay at the Sonne Hotel right on the Haupstrasse at 54 Euro per night.

Days 5 & 6 - Drive the Hochstrasse Schwarzwald to Baden Baden. Other must see's in the area? Freiburg? Triberg?

Day 7 - Drive to Lauterbrunnen. Planning to stay at the Hotel Oberland for 130 CHF.

Days 8 & 9 - Weather permitting, early morning visit to Jungfraujoch. Also would like to see Thun and Speiz on the Thuner See.

Day 10 - Travel to Stein am Rhein. Rheinfels Hotel was booked so we have a reservation at the small Restaurant Hotel Rheingerbe at 150 CHF.

Day 11 - Day trip to Rheinfalls and maybe continue to Meersburg.

Day 12 - Stein am Rhein to Wertheim near Wurzburg. Room reserved at the Tauberhotel Kette right on the river at a rate of 70 Euro.

Days 13 & 14 - Visit some of the small towns along the Main River. Maybe drive into Wurzburg (altho we've already seen the Fortress and Residenz). Spend 14th night at a hotel near the Frankfurt Airport.

That's it. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments on hotels, stops along the way, etc.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM

there are many switzerland experts here who can help more than me, but we just returned from lauterbrunnen recently and if I had to pick one trip (personally) between Jungfrauhoch and Schilthorn, and it would be a difficult choice, but I would pick Schilthorn for a number of reasons. My trip report has what we did/saw on those two day trips and others in the area if you are interested, scroll down to the Lauterbrunnen days, the first 4 of the trip.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34737788

And we learned to ask hotel, don't judge weather yourself about a good day for trip to top of either mountain - our hotel had a tv with the live cam from on top of both mountains so you could see it was a bit overcast/foggy in lauterbrunnen at 8am but clear as could be on top. I want to go back, I want to be there right now, I'm jealous. Enjoy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, escargot. I did read your trip report. Sounds like a you had great time! However, my husband has his heart set on Jungfraujoch, but I'll talk it over with him.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

then if he has his heart set on it, that's what you should do...they are both magnificent, it's a tough choice - .maybe you'll do the Schilthorn too - or, it's a good excuse to go back another season, another time !
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:50 PM

Sounds like a great trip. While you are around the Bodensee (Lake Constance) you should try to get to Mainau Island. It is a garden island that is covered with beautiful gardens, a great orchid room and a butterfly house. You can take a ferry from Meersburg and other places on the lake.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

We had planned to go to Mainau when we visited Lindau a couple of years ago, but didn't have time. We'll try to fit it in this time.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

ttt. Anyone else?