Suggestions for N.Ireland B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Ireland for our second trip in late April. We are landing in Shannon and working our way north this time and flying out of Dublin. I know we are covering a lot of territory in six nights, but we are seasoned "roadtrippers" and move around very efficiently. We are in our 50s and have spent many trips in Europe where we just pack up and go in the car and get from one place to the other. I do the reseach and my husband is great on the road. We visited most of southern Ireland last year and LOVED it, so we're back to see the northern part.

Here's our plan:

Day 1 - Land in Shannon early morning - running on adrenelin and exitement and picking up car and going right to Burren/Cliffs of Moher - maybe stopping at Ashford Castle, or not, depending on weather, energy lever - Sleep in Galway.

Day 2 - Head for Connemara penninsula, hike or bike in the area, head to Westport, dinner in Slingo (Any suggestions?), Sleep in Donegal.

Day 3 - Visit Tory Island, hike or bike Glenveigh Nat. Park area. Sleep in Derry/Londonderry for 2 nites.

Day 4 & 5 - Using Derry as our base, visit Giants Causeway, Rope Bridge, Bike the trail towards Portrush. visit the Glens, Island Maghee.

Day 6 - Head to Belfast - spend the day, do city tour, etc. Maybe Trim Castle, Hill of Tara, (WHERE TO SLEEP FOR MORNING FLIGHT OUT OF DUBLIN NEXT MORNING.)

I know this sounds like a lot in a short time, but my hubby has the attention span of a 5 year old. we like the outdoors, seeing natural wonders, staying active, and good food. Not much for museams or art or shopping.

Any suggestions for B&Bs (any price range, as long a it's clean and comfortable and convenient) in Galway, Donegal, Derry and the Dublin are would be appreciated. Any recommendations for good food in these areas would also be appreciated. Doesn't have to anything fancy, but just good food.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Hello -
I suggest you sleep day 2 in Westport. After hiking Connemara you won't be able to visit Westport and make it to Donegal. The roads are slow there. If you want a challenge you can hike Croagh Patrick. Westport has good food and even better music & pubs. There's also a lovely walk from the 2 sections of the town - the harbor area to the main town.

We've done a fair amount of hiking in Kerry, Mayo and Donegal and thought the hiking around Mayo was fantastic. Donegal - we hiked up Mt. Errigal twice but it was a boggy hop from one grass clump to another.

I haven't been to Tory Island - really would like to - but I understand the ferry is somewhat iffy. It's a bit of a drive out of your way. Glenveigh - we walked from the visitor center to the main house and it wasn't a great walk (it's just along the road) but the gardens there are lovely.

We do love Derry! The Giants Causeway has a fantastic hike for miles along the top. Everyone goes to the rock formations, which is great of course, but the walk along the top of the bluff was one of the best such hikes I've seen. The National Trust has protected the fields as far as you can see so it's an 'end of the world' feeling with the breeze, the ocean, the fields. Loved it. The rope bridge was not what I was hoping but that happens.

We've rented apartments or cottages in those areas so I've no recommendation. We always just eat at pubs that look promising.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Rosetravels - thanks for your insight. can you recommend an easier hike/walk than Croagh patrick in the Connemara area? Think we'll leave the more strenuous hikes for the younger set with better knees than I have.

Also, I think we might be able to squeeze in a extra night, so would your recommend there is more to do/see in the Donegal area or Derry area? Was the Donegal Castle worth stopping for?

Come on you fellow fodorites, I know you're out there. Any B&Bs you fell in love with in your travels? something along the shore would be nice......
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

It's not exactly in Derry/Londonderry but we really liked Ballycarton House just out of Limavady. http://www.ballycartonhouse.com . She has laundry facilities should you need them, the food and the hostess are wonderful, and it's a lovely place. Patricia packed us a lunch for our Inishowen 100 Sunday.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Should you squeeze in that extra day, Patricia at Ballycarton House has a discount for 3 or more nights.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

jaja - ballycarton house looks so charming. do you remember about how far it was from Belfast? i'm sure the laundry facilities will come in handy and allow us to pack a little less (thus enabling us to pick and go quicker to the next destination - more time to explore!!!)
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Actually my favorite hike in the area might really appeal to you: Clare Island. We took a boat to Clare Island and walked all over. We first walked along the road to the lighthouse and ate lunch at the cliffs there. We've been to the Cliffs of Moher, the Slieve League and the Antrim Coast and to me, these were the most beautiful. The view along the cliffs is my screensaver! We then wandered back towards the town where, if I remember correctly, the Pirate Queen is buried. We bought ice cream then headed back to the boat.

One of the most memorable things about Clare were the potato rows. All these decades later and the landscape still shows the old furrows from the time seaweed and soil were piled up. Anyway, beautiful and so pleasant.

So that was my favorite hike!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Also - I thought Glenveigh house was a great tour, Donegal Castle was not. Bunratty was much better. Glencomcille is interesting with Glengesh Pass a stunning route to the north towards Glenveigh.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

rosetravels - sounds very appealing! where did you catch the boat from, did you have to make reservations, how often do they run, and how long did it take? if you had to choose between Clare Island and Slieve League, do you believe the time would be better spent at Clare Island? Don't think we'll have the time to do both, since it sounds like Clare Island is a full day. Where is Glencomcille?
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM

aaroadwatch.ie says it's 99.46 k or 61.8 miles from Belfast to Limavady. We came from the other direction and didn't go to Belfast so can't tell you about the driving.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jaja. I'll keep it in mind. Will try to get a better idea of my stops in the next week or so, now that I have much more info, thanks to you all.

BTW, my husband just booked our airfare. If anyone is leaving from the Newark, NJ area, Continental just dropped air to/from Dublin or Shannon to $220 before taxes. CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!!! I'm spending more to send my daughter to spring break in florida!!!