Suggestions for Italy Honeymoon in Sept/Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was married in Feb. and we delayed our honeymoon until the fall. We are leaving Washington, DC on September 28 for Italy for 2 weeks. Although my husband has been to Italy before, I have not. This message board has been amazingly helpful with my planning. I would like to share our itinerary and would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, etc..
We are flying Swiss Air to Milan on 9/28 (Swiss has a special if you book a ticket from the US and pay by Mastercard, you can bring a companion for free)
Arrive in Milan-stay 1 night at the Doria Grand Hotel. A friend recommended this hotel. Has anyone stayed here?
Train to Venice-stay 2 nights @ Locanda Orseolo-Barbara has been most helpful.
Pick up rental car-rented from Kemwells.
Drive to Florence -stay 2 nights @ Plaza Hotel Lucchesi-they have reserved a place for our car in their garage.
Drive to Umbria-we are staying @ friends of a friends house in Marsciano for a week.
Drive to Rome-drop car off in town and stay 2 nights @ the Hotel Due Torri. Fly out of Rome early on 10/13.
We are really looking forward to our trip and enjoying what each city has to offer, but especially the people and food of Italy.
I do have some questions:
What is the weather like at the end of Sept-beginning of Oct.? Should we pack more summer like clothing or fall?
Has anyone been to Marsciano?
In Florence should our hotel room view the River Arno or the Santa Croce?
Should we take the bus or cab into Milan?
Should we buy our tickets for our ride to Vencie ahead of time? Should we do a local train or Eurostar?
Has anyone been to Dino's restaurant in Florence?
I am sure I have tons more, but I will quit now. I know this is a lot, please forgive me. I would welcome any fun suggestions. Again, thank you for all the information that has been provided on this board. Leslie
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM
ira

Hi Leslie,

Dino's is a new one. Tell us about it.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Your itinerary is well-thought out and is certainly doable in two weeks.

Depending on what your plans are in Umbria, if possible, I would shorten your stay there and add a day to Rome, Florence and/or Venice.

I find that the best way to determine how long to stay in each place is to make a list of "must sees" for each city. Then you have a more realistic idea of how much time you will need in each location.

Of course, there is never enough time to see, do, experience Italy....so that's when you start another list..."must-do's for the next trip to Italy."

As for your other questions, the square in front of the Santa Croce is a picture perfect medieval piazza. So that would be my choice for a beautiful room view. However, also consider that the Arno view might be quieter.

As to cab/taxi in Milan, since your time is short there, a taxi is usually quicker.

Congratulations on your marriage and have fun planning the trip.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Sounds like a very nice itinerary.

>What is the weather like at the end of Sept-beginning of Oct.? Should we pack more summer like clothing or fall?
It should be very nice, though not necessarily boiling hot. However, they've been having a very hot summer . . . Bring light layers that will work together if there's a cool spell, or for cooler evenings, like a sweater that could go under a light jacket. You will probably only ever need a jacket OR sweater. Check the Italy weather online for a week before you leave--you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

>In Florence should our hotel room view the River Arno or the Santa Croce?
Don't know this hotel in particular, but my bigger question would be if the windows face the street. Noise can spoil a great view.

>Should we take the bus or cab into Milan?
There's a bus or train that should work fine for you. Cab is unnecessary.

>Should we buy our tickets for our ride to Venice ahead of time? Should we do a local train or Eurostar?
Take a Eurostar or IC (intercity, NOT local). Many on this board would say definitely Eurostar. If you take the bus to Milan, I believe it will drop you at the Centrale train station. You could step inside and buy your tickets then, one day ahead just to be safe.

Auguri!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Weatherwise, you're going one of the best times of the year. Temperatures will probably be in the 60s, perhaps even hit the 70s.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Intrepid

Havijg stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi in the past I would definitely opt for the Arno view if you can get it...you'll be able to see all the way to the Ponte Vecchio and beyond. Some of the rooms in the rear can be rather small. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't assume that a cab from Malpensa into the city would be quicker. Depending on the time you arrive, your cab could be slowed by heavy traffic. Of course, the bus would be involved in the same traffic. But there is also a train from Malpensa to the Stazione Nord at Piazza Cardona. From there you can take the metro or a taxi or possibly even walk to your hotel if it's nearby.

Congratulations on your weddding. You made a good decision to honeymoon in the fall. My husband and I have travelled to Europe many times in October, and the weather has always been terrific. You're going to have a great time!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Good plan--with minor revisions.
Do not drive to Florence. Train is much easier and YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE IN FLORENCE ! Why pay for the car and parking when you will not use it. Get the car as you leave Florence.

The bus from Malpensa is easy. The weather will be good--we often travel then and will be there again this year.

Do not drive into Rome. Drop it at Chiusi or Orvieto enroute and train into Rome.

The Doria Grand is really expensive.

Take the train that fits your schedule--it may be an ES or not. Given a choice, of course opt for the ES. Good luck !
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Bob is absolutely correct about not driving in Florence and Rome. We used the bus system in Florence since we stayed in a family apartment in a residential neighborhood. We were very glad NOT to have an auto in Florence.

Although we did drive into Rome and there was practically no place convenient to park the car which was a nuisance.

We usually prefer taxis to and from the airports mainly because we are usually quite tired upon arrival and it's just easier for us...but since others say the bus and train are just as easy, maybe that's the way to go in Milan.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice.
We wanted to have a car when we left Venice so that we might stop in Bologna to have lunch or stop any place that might look interesting. Then we would drive directly to the hotel and park it for 2 days. Bob-you make a valid point about paying for 2 days, I just thought that it would be easier to stop along the way at our own pace, rather than taking the train directly to Florence. My husband has driven in Italy before and he the one doing the driving. I am going to look into dropping the car off in Orvieto or someplace outside of Rome-thank you.

We are paying $187.50 for a double room @ the Doria Grand. It seems it is fashion week in Milan when we arrive and the 2 other places I looked into were booked-I think I called the Spadari and Locandi Mercanti. I am wondering if we should just go straight to Venice and skip Milan. Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Good thing you're not getting a car until you leave Venice. The last time we were there the streets were all flooded!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Hi I posted my first message on this forum today and am now just being nosy reading other people's stuff. Interested to hear other people going to Italy for honeymoon. I'm getting married in Italy next year but hope you have a lovely time. I'm sure I'll never be as organised as you are. Good honeymooning!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM

i've honestly got to say that i don't understand the parking phobia in europe.

thousands of people park on the streets of london, paris and rome (or new york, chicago and LA). what's the problem?

you look at the parking rules and tariffs (which are normally in force during business hours as in any american city) pay it and leave it.

i've parked in all of the above cities on the street and rarely had a hard time. i might have had to walk a few blocks but so what?

i've never paid for a parking garage in europe and never will. the europeans don't pay, why should i?
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi AllyM,
Congrats to you on your upcoming wedding. Keep reading this board as you plan and you will get it together. Good luck!

Subcon-thanks for the comments. I lived in DC for years & always parked my car with no problems and even though we live in the burbs now, I still would rather drive into town than take the metro. My husband has made the same comments that you have made and reminds me often (as I am driving him crazy with the car thing) that we went New York last September and left my ML 320 parked on the street for 2 days and had no problems.

It is good to read everyone's thoughts. There is so much to cover. Thanks
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM

RufusT: You gave me a good laugh today.

Thanks, Carol
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Should you skip Milan & go straight to Venice? Well it would give you an extra day & night in Venice (a good thing) BUT I think you might appreciate a rest after the transatlantic flight rather than continuing on as soon as you arrive.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Take the night in Milan, the cathedral is a must, you can take an elevator up to the roof--Amazing! I agree with Bob, train from Venice to FLorence, a very simple ride. You can still stop in Bologna for lunch. When you book your train tix ask them the best way to do it. We found the second class Eurostar to be fine. Rec first class on any other type of train (not much price diff). We bought as soon as 1/2 hour before but early the same day is fine. THere are travel agencies all over, even the small towns have at least one. I found the few euro charge worth it for the time to ask questions and check schedules (a bit abrupt at the station).
Express bus from Malpensa is only 9-10 euro each and takes you right into Milan Centrle station. YOu can cheaply cab from there toyour hotel if necessary. A cab from the airport can be up to 80 euro and isn't worth it in my opinion. The metro in Milan is really easy to use also. Congrats!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:43 PM

If you want to take the train from Venice to Florence and stop in Bologna for lunch, buy tickets for an IC train. You will be able to take any IC train, and get off in Bologna. I think you have six hours to resume your trip. If you took Eurostar, you automatically have a reserved seat. You would have to either book separate tickets for each leg or rebook and pay an additional fee to continue you trip if you got off in Bologna.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:29 PM

Congrat's on your wedding, we too were married last November and are taking our delayed honeymoon this Fall in Italy and France.

I am certainly not a resident expert here, but here's my two cents.

2 years ago we went to Italy for 2 weeks. We absolutely loved Venice, hated Florence and thought Rome was a one-time must see destination. We also did the Ligurian coast for 3 days and loved that area too.

1. You'll probably want to spend one night in Milan, as getting around Venice is tiring in itself with bags, especially with being tired from traveling.

2. Venice is for romance, 2 nights is NOT enough. We were there 4 nights and we barely scratched the surface. We mostly spent our time wandering and "soaking it all in". The sites are 10% of what we liked about Venice. Just wander and fall in love all over again. Get away from the crowds and get lost!

3. Florence is the playground for spoiled American students, tour groups and rip-off leather "merchants". I'm sorry, but if every store is having "a special sale, today only", we run for the hills. The quality was average and most places were tourist joints. Also, driving is a passion of mine, but Florence is HORRIBLE. It's NOT the traffic, it's the signage. We literally spent 1 1/2 hours looking for our Inn (nobody was able to give us directions, there was zero signage and our Inn ended up being in a pedestrian zone that didn't allow cars...a fact they failed to mention, although they knew we would be driving). Admittedly, this was frustrating, but it would have been fine if the town was worth the effort. The Ponte Vecchio is a rip-off, the river isn't all that scenic and I don't need to hear American college students yelling "I need a cigarette" at the top of their lungs at 2 in the morning. We planned to come back thru after Venice, but immediately changed our plans (and stayed in Venice an extra night).

Rome- Two days is probably not enough time here either. If you're going to the Forum or Colosseum, it's at least 1/2 a day each. The Vatican, likewise. I'd plan on spending 3 nights here minimum, that way you will have seen the highlights and maybe you won't have to come back if you don't like it ("been there, done that&quot. We like big cities, so we did enjoy Rome. But, after 4 nights, we're in no hurry to go back.

Driving in Italy is great. Great roads, great Rest-stops (AutoGrille), gas is high (maybe get a diesel?), but driving allows you to see and stop more than riding the train. Also, check out this site:

http://www.rentacar-europe.com

They quoted me a great rate that Kemwel has matched. I saved $150 off of Kemwel's price, about 25% of my costs. Lastly, you WILL want the insurance. It adds $$, but is well worth it.

Have a great trip and congrat's again.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:17 AM

I agree with Bob the navigator..do not drive in Florence. The mere memory of that afternoon attempting to drive in Florence makes my blood run cold...and we've 17 years together so have weathered many a storm..driving in Florence was a test indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -