Suggestions for Italy apartment rental service

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Italy and would like a recommendation for a reputable apartment rental service.

I have looked at the websites vrbo.com and only-apartments.com.

Has anyone used one of these sights?

Are there any suggestions or recommendations to consider when renting an apartment abroad?
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM

VRBO is, as the name indicates, Vacation Rental By Owner; apartments and experiences will vary from owner to owner. I don't know the other site you name.

There are also apartment-rental agencies, and the apartments they offer may (or may not) be more consistent. Google >[name of city] apartments< to find them.

Books can be written about renting apartments, but the most important principle to bear in mind is "If it isn't shown (or explicitly mentioned), it isn't there."
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM

We have rented from VRBO and sleepinitaly.com and rentvillas.com. We had good experiences with all of them. This year we also rented through perfectplaces.com when looking in Bologna, although in Rome they didn't seem to have any attractive places.

IMO the most important things are that the site has lots of photos of ALL parts of the apartment, including the bathrooms and kitchens. There should be a map showing where the apartment is -- a google-type exact location, not a generalized map.

Look at slowtrav.com and travel advisor for reviews of rental agencies and apartments. Or ask here once you have narrowed it down. Slowtrav.com also has a page with info on renting apartments.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Try Owner's Direct. Have used in France and Portugal.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help and advice. I'll check out slowtrav.com and see what they say.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 08:37 AM

Try The Parker Company. theparkercompany.com It's a US company that has been in business since 1993. We used them for a rental in Tuscany and were very pleased. I think they only offer rentals in Italy, and have many.