Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Europe trip in March 2019

May 5th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

May be this is too early to discuss, but i wish to plan too early. two year before me and family visited Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein for a 10 days trip. I wish to have another europe trip during mid of march 2019, mostly for a 12 days plan. my wish list of countries include czechoslovakia (Prague), Germany, Netherlands, and if possible Vienna also. Now I have nothing more in mind..Plz advise. sry i forgot to mention, my family includes wife and 2 kids, and their age is 7 year old and 11 year old.
May 6th, 2018, 09:29 AM

In your previous trip were you traveling with your children? How many nights in each location? How did you travel? By answering these questions, it might be possible to give more than general advice.
May 6th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

In my previous trip i was travelling with my family and kids and also with another family.May be this time also the same friend family will be there,
We stayed in Interlaken for 5 nights, two nights in Zurich. We took Swiss travel pass, so for travelling in Switzerland was easy for us From Zurich we took rent a car to travel to Austria via Lichtenstein. for a day trip.
May 7th, 2018, 06:23 AM

Trains or car? If only cities cars are a boondoggle -take trains - for more on trains and where to go with them check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts (online European Planning & Rail Guide has many train itineraries). Munich-Prague-Vienna would be practical in 12 days but barely so don't overload.
May 7th, 2018, 02:52 PM

my wish list of countries include czechoslovakia (Prague), Germany, Netherlands, and if possible Vienna also>

12 days - not much

possible

land in Amsterdam - 3 nights
Train or fly to Munich
Munich - 3 nights
Bus or train to Prague - 3 nights
Train to Vienna - 3 nights

that's about the best you could do if wanting to see all four on wish list but I'd forget say Prague and add days to other locals and maybe do short day trips.

If a car trip avoid main cities and meander thru countryside - cars and cities are not an ideal match and again if just wanting to go from large city to large city (as most are wont to do) trains like in Switzerland are best.

Again come up with a plan and then we can comment more on it.

Cheers!
May 7th, 2018, 11:22 PM

A few considerations from someone (with children) who lives in Vienna...

1. Traveling to your suggested destinations in the middle of March could mean either good weather, or bad weather; you may have to plan (and pack) for both.
2. A vehicle is unnecessary for Munich, Vienna, and Prague. I make it a goal to not drive my car in Vienna whenever possible; and when we drive to other European cities the first thing we do is drop our vehicle at a parking garage.
3. With all respect, Czechoslovakia is no longer one country, but two: Czechia (or Czech Republic if you're old-school) and Slovakia.

With children your age I would skip Vienna (and maybe even Prague) unless your children are really into art and history. Yes, Europe's oldest zoo is in Vienna, but in the end it is just a zoo. The palaces will likely bore the little ones witless (and after one or two, they all look the same); the gardens at Schönbrunn (with the maze and labyrinth) will be closed. Most of the rides at Prater (Vienna's amusement park) will still be closed for the season, as will all of the ice cream stands and shops around the city. The two or three Easter markets will not be open because Easter falls in late April; even then, they are small, and it really takes little time to look at baskets of hand-painted eggs, most so fragile (and expensive) you won't want the children touching them. Outdoor activities (hiking) might be a possibility, but the scenery will mostly be winter brown, and many hiking huts that offer food are only open on weekends during the shoulder season. After that, Vienna is mostly museums.

When our children were 7 and 12 we spent a spring break week in Rome; a year later, another spring break week in Amsterdam. The following year, a week in Bavaria with two days in Salzburg. Rome speaks for itself; Amsterdam offered bicycling and novel scenery; and with Bavaria, walking the walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber; the castles of Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau; the palace of Linderhof; Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg, all made for more family-friendly holidays.

I hope this is helpful.