Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for drive to Assisi and 2 days in Florence.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fisrt let me give a huge Thanks to all that post here and provide such great in-sight to people like myself. This is our first trip to Italy. We are spemding 3 days in Rome then picking up a car at the train station in Rome. We have booked Hotel Ideale in Assisi for 2 nights then 2 nights at Dei Mori B&amp; B in Florence. I am looking for suggestions for places to see on the drive to Assisi and the 2 days in Assisi. Also if you had just 2 days in Florence what is not to be missed.At the end of our Florence stay we then drive to Venice and drop off the car at the airport and spend 2 days in Vencice.<BR>We would surely appreciatte your imput. We love architecture, gardens, snenery, etc...
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I would definitely include a stop in Orvieto en route to Assisi. The duomo (and a lot more) are definitely worth your time there and it's right on the way.<BR>I recommend spending the better part of a day in Assisi. It was one our favorites.<BR>From Assisi to Florence, you have a lot choices where to stop--Montepulciano, Pienza and/or Montalcino and Siena would top my list.<BR>In Florence, you start with Uffizi and Accademia museums.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was online looking at Orvieto an dit looks incredible.Any idea of how to contact the museums so we don't have to wait in the long lines??
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was online looking at Orvieto and it looks incredible.Any idea of how to contact the museums so we don't have to wait in the long lines??
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:52 AM

GARYNFLA,<BR>Could you provide the link to Orvieto's website? WE are going to Tuscany in March and I would love to see the scenery to help me survive the Midwestern winter...<BR>Regards,<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Garynfla, when are you going? You may not have to be concerned about lines.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Italy May 16-25..It seems like forever away..
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I don't think you'll have to worry about lines in Orvieto that time of the year.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Was just in Florence last April and a must see is The Michaelangelo Park. I did not see this highlighted in the books we had purchased, only heard of it from some locals trying to sell us some leather wares. An incredible view of the city to take in for minutes or hours however long you like. We took a bottle of Chianti up with us ( you can take a bus to get there) and bought some pistachios and soaked it up for hours. One of my favorite memories there.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:59 PM

The Pitti Palace gives you an option of five different museums and the Boboli Gardens with some lovely views from there. I enjoyed this more than the Uffizi which is a bit overwhelming, and can be claustrophobic with over 40 small rooms.<BR>A short bus ride to Fiesole which is recommended by many posters on here costs 1 euro, No 7 bus from outside the train station, leaving every half hour is a delightful area with true Tuscan rural landscapes and in the piazza some nice restaurants with views over Florence.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I WILL HAVE A CAR WHILE IN fLORENCE. hOW LONG AND DIFFICULT OF A DRIVE WOULD IT BE TO DRIVE TO THE PITTI PALACE?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:25 PM

You do not want to drive in Florence. Just about all sights are within walking distance. The Pitti Palace is a reasonable walk from Ponte Vecchio.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

any other ideas??
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Additional places to see? My top three would be:<BR><BR>Orvieto, Siena, Spoleto<BR><BR>Check the car rental prices. I think a one week rental will be your best price. Since you don't want a car in Florence, I'd definitely consider returning the car upon your arrival into Florence and taking the Eurostar train to Venice.<BR><BR>I believe &quot;mamacrow&quot; is referring to the Piazzale Michaelango - I agree this is a fantastic view over Florence and a must. Just grab a taxi or a bus up to the Piazzale.<BR><BR>With only two nights in Florence, I'd be sure to see the David at the Accademia and the Uffizi, the Duomo and Baptistery, Ponte Vecchio, Pitti Palace, Piazza della Signoria, Piazza della Republicca and the Santa Croce Church.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I rented the car already for 4 days and got a great price form italybycar.it<BR><BR> The places you mentioned look incredible.I will be staying is Assisi for 2 nights. How far of a drive is it to Siena?<BR> Thanks for your info..
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 11:06 PM

Suggest you look at a map of Italy to work out your driving times and then a map of Florence to see which attractions you wish to visit. If you do not know exactly where you are going when you only have limited time, a lot of it will be wasted asking directions.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathy, we have our map and our reservations for museums etc.. in Florence. My question was how long does it take to drive from Assisi to Sienna. <BR>Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:54 AM

First of all in May you most certainly need reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia. Contact your hotel and ask them how long ahead of time you need to contact them to make the reservation for you. They'll do it. The Michelangelo Park is Piazzale Michelangelo. You can walk or take a bus up there and is definitely worth the effort. I second Fiesole. It is a great 1/2 day trip. There is an outside Etruscan museum which should not be missed. If you walk up the hill there is a Franciscan monastary worth the walk up the hill. Florence is a walking city. I would park the car the whole time and leave it there. I spent a month in Florence to study Italian and only used a car on an occasional weekend to go to Tuscany. The historic center of Florence is closed to traffic so you can't use the car anyway. We used to walk from one side of the historic center to the other to get to school and it only took about 20 minutes. Siena is about 3/4 of an hour from Florence. You may want to stop is San Gimingnano or some other little towns along the way.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann1, I have my reservations already for the museums thanks to Helen at www.italywithus.com. She is a incredible help with Italy travel.<BR>While I am in Assisi for 2 nights I am trying to find a great location to drive to the second day and Sienna was one of my coices. There is so much to choose from.San Gimingnano looks very interesting also. I also have to see Pisa..I am having a bit of a problem trying to fir it all in..LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -