Suggestions for Devon / Cornwall

Feb 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for Devon / Cornwall

We are going on a walking trip for seven nights, the Dorset-of-Thomas Hardy walk. After the walk we will have eight nights to explore Devon and Cornwall leaving from Dorchester. We are thinking about heading south going to Plymouth, Penzance, St. Ives, Padstow, Clovelly and back to Bristol to fly home. Do you have any suggestions for different stops and any suggestions for lodging? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Hi mjcgic,

great idea! when is your trip?

you are thinking about cramming quite a lot into 8 days, but it is certainly doable.

personally I dislike "one night stands" [at least on holiday!] and were I you, i think that i might do it like this:

Day 1 - leave dorchester. drive to Plymouth. Stay one night. [most of the sights can be seen in one evening's walk, to be honest].
Day 2 - drive to Penzance. [or Falmouth, which would give you access via the boats to St. Mawes and the Roseland] Stay 2 nights.
Day 3. Penzance/Falmouth.
Day 4 - drive to St. Ives. [only do this if you are not travelling in school holidays, hence my question above].
Day 5 - stay st. Ives
Day 6 - Stay St. Ives [? day trip to Padstow] [personally i would not stay there as there is not much there to fill more than a day trip, IMHO]
Day 7 -Drive to Clovelly.
Day 8 - Drive to Bristol.

if you have an extra day, i would spend that in Penzance, and try to arrange a day trip by helicopter to Tresco - one of the Scilly Isles - which makes a terrific day out on a nice day.

before i make suggestions for where to stay, what sort of accommodation do you like? hotels, B&Bs?
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM

< and try to arrange a day trip by helicopter to Tresco >

It's moving to Newquay

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Heli...ail/story.html
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM

but not this year, alan. [the move is timed for the end of 2012, apparently].

They tried to move to St. Erth [St. Where?] but it took them a lot longer than it took the rest of us to realise how daft that was. the move to Newquay makes more sense, but will definitely be a blow for PZ. it will also make it harder when there is a need for the boat to cover for the helicopter, and vv. if there's 30 miles between them, rather than 3, it'll be a lot harder to co-ordinate.
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick response!
We are leaving June 11th and will return June 27th. I too dislike one night stays. We would like to go to the Minack Theatre one day. In your opinion would you stay in Clovelly or outside? We like all sorts of accommodations. We will be doing B&B's during our walking trip, so may want to do hotels or small charming inns. Again thanks
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Hi again,

I'm sitting watching the cricket and enjoying a bit of late afternoon cornish sunshine so i'm very happy to try to help you plan your trip.

I'm assuming that you want to see a perfomance at the Minack, not just have a look round, so you'll need to book tickets as soon as they are available in April. here's the programme for 2012:

http://www.minack.com/whatson.htm

Rather than stay in clovelly [though by all means go and see it] I would stay here:

http://thehuntersinn.net/

alternatively, take the opportunity to go and see the lovely little ship building town of Appledore, and stay here across the estuary :

http://www.commodore-instow.co.uk/tariff.htm [last time I stayed there, i booked a single and they upgraded me to a double with a sea view without my even asking! - and the food is pretty good too].

for the earlier part of your trip I have fewer suggestions, as we don't tend to stay at hotels in cornwall. however, by all means run the places you are thinking about past me, as I may have some comments about position etc.

I will have more ideas about pubs and restaurants, which can wait until you know where you are going to be.

have fun planning!
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM

In St. Ives I stayed at the Thurlestone Guest House for a week, a small hotel on the outskirts of town and liked it very much. They have parking and it's a beautiful walk to St. Ives along a nearby section of the Southwest Coast Path.
http://www.thurlestoneguesthouse.co.uk/
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM

i had a look at that guesthouse - i don't doubt that it's very nice, but it's hardly in St. Ives. I reckon that it would be a good 20 minute walk into town, which might be ok on the way to dinner, but a bit much afterwards. it is however close to Carbis Bay railway station which will have you in St. Ives in 5 minutes. [BTW, the railway station is just above the wonderful Porthminster Beach cafe, which you really should try during your stay, though you will have to book quite a time in advance to be sure of a table].

you really shouldn't have any problem getting somewhere to stay IN St. Ives in June if that's where you want to be.
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM

There are several restaurants within a couple of minutes walk.
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM

...and a bus which passes the door, no need to walk down to the train unless they want to. But as they say, they're walkers so thought they'd appreciate the beautiful walk along the coast path. And there are advantages to parking right in front rather than the congestion of the town center.
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. The only thing I have set in stone is the walking trip the first seven nights. If you had to choose cities to stop in what would be your suggestions? Torquay? Exeter?Plymouth? If you think there are better stops that I could make day trips from please suggest! I like the idea of staying two nights and hitting the surround towns and attractions from there.
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM

I've stayed twice in Exeter as a jumping off point for walks but would not suggest it as a stop for itself. A nice enough place but there are better places to stay for the charm factor.

I like Falmouth and Penzance although Penzance is close enough to St. Ives to see from there.

I didn't have a car and used public transport in the area. There's a bus with a circuit around the coast which includes St. Ives and Penzance which I used several days and which might be fun for you if you'd like to just ride rather than drive. They have an all day fare which you can use to get off and back on. One day I got off in Sennen Cove and walked to Land's End, another beautiful walk. Then caught the bus and continued on. I loved the landscape there and the bus was a great vantage point from which to see it. And I very much enjoyed the drivers' ability to negotiate the tiny roads. It was very entertaining and very inexpensive.
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM

the reason I followed your idea of stopping in Plymouth was to break up the journey from dorchester to cornwall, which is quite a lot in a day. the situation of Plymouth is quite impressive, there is the Hoe and the now the Barbican which has been very well developed with a large number of very nice restaurants, catering to every taste and pocket.

it makes an ideal one night stop, but no longer.

it would be a shame to miss it, but if you aren't that fussed, there is no reason not to carry on, say to Falmouth where you could make your first stop. from there you have access to the Helford, the Roseland via St. Mawes, and again loads of restaurants as well as a very lively town.

an alternative would be to stay in St. Mawes itself - from there you could spend a day exploring the Roseland, possibly walking round to St. Anthony's Head and the lighthouse using the tiny ferry that goes to Place, or walking up the Percuil river to wards St. just in Roseland, and/or by getting the boat over to Falmouth [though personally i think that it works better to stay in Falmouth and do the excursion the other way round].

After Falmouth, you can either stay in both PZ and St. Ives for 2 days each, or do as Mme Perdu suggests and choose one or the other. if you have 8 nights in total, one in Plymouth, then 3 in each of falmouth and PZ [or st. Ives] would work well, with the last night at Instow or Parracombe, though the latter would give you a pretty long drive up from cornwall.

hope this helps!
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann,

Thanks so much for your help! We are so excited and looking forward to our trip. We walked the Cotswolds six years ago and wanted to do another walking trip while we are still in good shape.ha Now that we are retired we can tack on eight more nights and see more of such a beautiful country.

I love your suggestion of one night in Plymouth. Do you think we could see Falmouth, ST.Ives, PZ and St. Mawes if we pick one of the towns to stay in for three nights? They all look so close .

Then we could drive on up and stay somewhere close to Clovelly then on to Bristol for a couple of nights. The couple we are traveling with have not seen Stonehenge and I would like to show them that. Maybe that is to much. Thanks for all your suggestions, Michaeleen
Feb 19th, 2012, 06:54 AM

hi again, mjcgic,

I like the idea of your walking holiday - do they take you luggage on for you, or do you have to carry everything yourselves?

yes it is certainly possible to see the whole of that area in 2 days, [which is all that 3 nights gives you of course] though you will obviously not be able to see everything in depth.

Depending on what time you leave Plymouth, I would suggest driving straight to St. Mawes [allow 1 1/2 hours] and spending the morning there, catching the ferry to Place and walking to St. anthony's head and back before having a [latish] lunch or taking sandwiches with you.. [ensuring you know the ferry times as I think he knock's off for lunch].

after lunch, either go and look at King Henry's Castle looking across to Pendennis Castel, or drive up to the king Harry Ferry and cross over, stopping off if you like at the lovely Trelissick Gardens [NT].

after this, head over to Penzance, which is the best place to stop for touring the area.

then, there is plenty to do in your 2 days. Depending on your interests, there are the gardens of the Helford [more conveniently seen from Falmouth, but never mind] where you can combine a visit to Glendurgan [NT] and/or Trebah, with a walk along the coastal path overlooking the river to Helford Passage where the pub does lovely, if a tad expensive lunches.

Alternatively, head down to the Lizard, and tour Cadgwith and/or coverack, both of which have lovely coastal walks, as does the Lizard village, though it is a bit of a dump. you might also like to stop off at Trelowarren, where the restaurant is extremely good, or at the Polurrian hotel, which always makes me think of an Agatha Christie set with Hercule Poirot on the terrace.

for your 2nd day, you could do worse than the day trip we did with my mum, which was to set off from PZ down towards Land's \end, stopping off at Porthcurno to see the Minack and the Telecommunications museum, and then Cape cornwall, where there are some nice walks. after that, head up the coast towards the gurnard's head and the pub of the same name which is rightly renowned for its food. then keep going up the coast to St. Ives and have tea, followed by a walk around the Island [which is in fact a promentary]. The drive back to PZ takes about 1/2 hour.

on your way to Clovelly, you could do worse than stop off at Morwenstow, the one time home of the rev. Hawker, who when he wasn't rescuing mariners wrecked by his parishioners, wrote the words to the Cornish anthem, Trelawney. there is a terrific walk out to the cliffs, where you can still see the hut he used to sit in looking out to the sea beyond. There also used to be a teashop run by the people who keep a milking herd of sheep near the church, where Hawker used to preach to cats and dogs as well as people.

you should also make time to see Hartland Abbey [a very nice house and gardens, again with a super walk out to the coast, where there is a cottage used in the filming of sense and sensibility I think] and Docton mill, a beautiful garden nearby. another highlight of that area is Hartland Quay where you can see all the amazing rock formations and evidence of the strength of the sea in the ruined harbour. [the pub there isn't much, and nor are any of the pubs in Hartland village itself, sadly].

Then on your way to Bristol, i would urge you to go and have a look at Appledore, where they have been building ships for 500 years. alternatively [or as well] stop off at Lynton & Lynmouth, slightly further round the coast, to the north of Exmoor, which is well worth a trip in its own right.

Sadly, i can't see how to work Stonehenge into this, unless you do it on your way to Dorset.

Phew - that should give a few things to think about!
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

OH MY does it!!! Thank you so very much! You are a wealth of information! It all sounds so great! I can't wait. If I have any more questions, which I probably will....ha keep a look out for me...... thanks again
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM

my pleasure, mjcgic.
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Yes they do take our luggage from bed and breakfast for us. We only take a back pack with us for water, snacks, etc.
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM

how far between stops? do you mind posting a link?
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

This time we will be walking around 10 miles between b&b's, you can go shorter or longer. The first trip to the Cotswolds we went through http://www.contours.co.uk, this time we are using http://worldwalkers.com.

We are so excited about going because our first walking trip was the best vacation we have ever taken..... We felt like it was our Amazing Race!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO