Suggestions for day trips from Malaga

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for day trips from Malaga

We will be in Malaga for a week in late June. After relaxing for awhile, what would your suggestions for day trips?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Morocco. Either through travel agents or drive yourself. I was not greatly impressed with Ronda.

Take the train from Malaga station along the coast. It's a subway train which also travels above ground. Pop into Torremolinas, Fuengirola (Tuesday is market day), Marbella, Estepona.

Subway goes as far as Fuengirola then you can get a bus to Marbella/Estepona.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM

What kaneda said....Fuengirola was wonderful. Marbella can get touristy, but still nice. Granada is a MUST!!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Oh yea...if you do go to Marbella, go into the Old Town and see the Plaza de los Naranjos. It can get kind of touristy, too, but it's georgous. Have churros and fresh juice at Ramon...it's one of the little restaurants around the square.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM

The nearest day trip is Nerja.
http://www.nerja.org/turismo_ing/index.php
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Kaneda,

My husband and I will be in Granada July 4 - 6. We plan to leave Granada on July 6 to spend a week in a timeshare in that is located between Fuengirola and Marbella in a town called Sitio de Calahonda. I beleive the directions state that our timeshare is 12 km west of Fuengirola.

My question is, can we get to our time share by train or bus? You stated in this e-mail that there is an above ground Subway train from Malaga to Fuengirola. If it is possible to get a train from Granada to Malaga with transfer in Bobadilla then transfer to subway train to Fuengirola, I thought we could then take a taxi to our timeshare. It is called Club Marbella, Crown Resort.

Our current plan is to rent a car in Granada and drive to our timeshare. We will spend an additional 5 days touring the Pueblos Blancos, Ronda, Arcos de la Frontera, and Jerez and will need a car for that time.

Any suggestions will be helpful.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM

A very untouristy trip is north to the gorge at El Chorro just outside Alora.
Its impressive and has a very dangerous ruined path round the edge if you are up for it! Could then drive on the Alhaurin el Grande to eat.

Long long day trip is Seville - suggest spend the night in what must be one of Europe last great untrampled cities. The tourists have not yet managed to world culture it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM

To Pollyrjohnson,
We are looking at doing a timeshare exchange for next June with RCI and Club Marabella is one of our options. I would love to hear about your trip when you get back.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM

pollyrjohnson
it is possible to go by train from Fuengirola to Malaga central station, and there take trains to Granada or any other place. Only you have to check timetables. I think you'll have updated info at Fuengirola station.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Josele.

Do we need to make reservations for a train form Malaga to Fuengirola? I don't see that as an option on the Renfe site.

rcmk,
We leave on June 28. I will try to post a trip report when we return.

Josele, thanks for your help.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM

There are trains Malaga to Fuengirola every 30 minutes, and it takes 50 min. No need to make reservations. Google for Renfe Cercanias. Only in spanish, that's why you dont find it.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Josele,

Thanks for your help. Trains are so easy to ride on, but can be very confusing to purchase tickets. WE had a wonderful experience using trains in Italy last summer. From the things that I have read, we will have a good experience in Spain as well.

Do you know if we can pick up our tickets at the Barajas Madrid airport train terminal? Or do we have ot pick them up at the Antocha station? If the case is that we need to pick up the tickets at Antocha, we will do this several days in advance.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:50 AM

You mean tickets for train departing from Atocha with destination Malaga or Seville? In this case you are more likely to find less waiting line in Barajas airport.
If you end up in Atocha without tickets, have in mind that 30 min before departure, a booking office opens under the sign "Inmediate Departure to--(place of destiny)" to sell last minute tickets. It always opens, but you must be aware.

For the Fuengirola trains you dont need reservations. There are cercanias trains to El Chorro-Ardales, a beautiful place. Check.