Suggestions for Cappadocia

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Cappadocia

I will be in Cappadocia for 3 days, based in Urgup. I definetly want to experience the hot air balloon ride, but other than that am open to suggestions. A hike sounds fun, but nothing too strenuous.

What have you done there that is not to be missed or that you really enjoyed? Also, is a rental car needed or can I rely on public transportation?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM

We stayed at Kelebek Cave Hotel and loved it!

There are many hikes you can do right from Urgup. Just head out on one of the many paths and explore to your hearts desire!

We went to the Open Air Museum but after hiking out on our own we felt that it was not necessary to pay for the museum. The surrounding area has many fairy chimney caves that you can explore for free and there is hardly a soul around.

The hot air balloon ride is fantastic!

Enjoy!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I did the hot air balloon. Don't wear a lot of clothes in the balloon. It's hot air.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM

We were glad we had a jacket on as the air was very cold at 5:00 a.m.!

You can see my photos from the hot air balloon ride at www.windjammer.smugmug.com. Just go to the Turkey photo album.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Neopolitan

You must tour one of the underground cities. They are amazing. Try not to get a guide who's been eating garlic and has never heard of Right Guard.

Yea, the hot air balloon is the highlight.

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:03 AM

Hot air ballooning is recommended highly.
Red Valley hike, open air museum, devrent, pasabag, cavusin is a must
Underground city Kaymakli or Derinkuyu... Try to walk at Sinasos village. Try Testi kebabi at Somine restaurant. Culture Museum in Ortahisar is fun.
Have a lovely time in Cappadocia, where we will have some nice rain in 15 minutes......but its warm 20 C

Murat
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Hot air balloon is amazing. Book it ahead of time for your first day there. A couple of reasons - its amazing to see it like that first. 2nd, they can cancel due to weather, and you have more chance of being able to do it even if they cancel the 1st day. The Zelve open air museum we liked a lot better than Goreme. Goreme had way to many people and Zelve is cheap and hardly any tourists - plus very very cool.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Definitely rent a car! Driving around the area is really easy. Roads are excellent. It's the best way to explore.

We rented from Budget in Urgup from "Zephyr" (I dont know how to spell his name in Turkish, but that's what it sounds like. He's a super nice guy.) The office is right across the street from Somine (pronounced "sheu-muh-ney) restaurant (which also has nice food. We liked the bread especially!).

We flew into Kayseri Airport and Zephyr showed up at the airport with a sign with our names on it. Drove us to Urgup where we did the paperwork at his office and drove off from there. Very convenient.

Loved my hot air balloon ride. The people at Goreme Balloons were really cool, very sweet and fun and completely organized and professional. My captain was J. Rodriguez. Really nice Portuguese-speaking guy.

Do the longer ride if you can afford it. End of May it was really hot in the balloon. I think that's pretty typical as you are in a basket under a really hot hot power source--fire! I took a jacket and was broiling underneath!

For hiking, in my opinion, guides are completely unnecessary. Loved Ihlara Valley and Rose/Red Valleys. For the latter, drive to Cavusin. Cute town, friendly people. You can climb into caves independently. Much more fun than Goreme Open Air. But, you need good hiking shoes and an adventurous outdoorsy spirit.

For exploring towns, loved Orthisar and Uchisar. Small and quaint. Also Guzelyurt (near Ihlara Valley) has it's own underground city. Each of these towns has a town square with people drinking cay (chai) and playing backammon. Oh, and the ice cream was the best at Uchisar at the cart right by the castle (we know, because we tried it at every town we went to!)

Comparing the bigger towns, I also liked Goreme more than Urgup. Goreme is a little more "groovy." The mantis and Ali Nazik at A La Turk in Goreme were excellent.

For accommodation, stayed at Kelebek (Goreme), Yunak Evleri (Urgup) and Giramasu (Ayvali). If I could only choose one place to stay among the three, it would have been Giramasu. The natural beauty of the place is just stunning. We climbed all the caves right on the premises. And the staff is really professional and friendly. The rooms are sumptuous but not ostentatious. Make sure you ask for a view.

Ayvali is only 15 mins from Urgup, but it is also a good jumping off point for heading south to the Ihlara Valley.

Have a great trip. Let me know if you have any questions. I was just in Capp end of May and have recently returned to the States. Happy to share my experiences.

PS. BTW, Capp was absolutely hands-down my favorite place in Turkey! Totally unique and special. And, the Turkish people who live there are just the best. Totally genuine.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Oh, a guide is not necessary for the underground city of Kaymakli, unless you want one. (Dont know about the other underground city).

Most rooms are labelled as to what they are and color markings show you the way to go.

If you have an adventurous spirit, like to explore "off the path" on your own, bring a flashlight. It's very useful.

Also, it is no prob taking pictures down there (with a flash) so bring your camera.