Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a day trip from Edinburgh in Nov.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking our seven year old son to Edinburgh for a 3 day trip and I'm looking for an idea for a day trip from there. He loves golf but in November would St. Andrews be very interesting? Any other suggestions? We won't have a car so we would have to be able to get there by bus or train. Thanks for hour help!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM

It's possible - train to Leuchars, bus to St Andrews, you can buy a combined ticket at Edinburgh Waverley station. Nice beach (the one in Chariots of Fire) to run along and of course enough golf stuff to keep the worst addict happy.

What may not be so kind is the weather - it could be absolutely miserable or it could be a fine clear day. Either is likely, though snow isn't. Also consider the available daylight hours as by 4:00pm the sun will have set.

Failing that try somewhere like Stirling or Glasgow.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 11:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>but in November would St. Andrews be very interesting?</i>"

Why wouldn't it? St Andrews is interesting year round. There is the Old Course, castle, cathedral ruins etc. And if you can manage to do the day trip on a Sunday -- there is no play on the Old Course and it is really just a big city park. You can walk across the Swilken Burn bridge (and wave just like Jack Nicklaus did on his last round there), see how huge those double greens and Hell bunker really are.

But if you don't want to visit St Andrews - two other good options would be Stirling Castle or Linlithgow Palace. Both are easy from Edinburgh by train. Just about every time I've been to Linlithgow it has been full of school groups and other kids really enjoying clambering through the extensive ruins. And Stirling Castle is even more interesting than Edinburgh Castle.

St Andrews requires a train to Leuchars and then a local cab or bus the 6 or 7 miles to St Andrews.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 01:31 AM

Glasgow...45 min train ride every 15 mins during the day. Kelvingrove museum
http://bit.ly/9Hnt6d

has loads of children's stuff (and is free and in Kelvingrove park which has good kids stuff!), also the Science Centre

http://bit.ly/EqLlf

is just great with one of the best Planetariums in the UK...and right on the river with great views and there's also the tall ship nearby.

http://www.glenlee.co.uk/newsite/

This site has other ideas http://www.gosomewhere.co.uk/glasgow/kids.html although sadly the new Transport museum doesn't open unil next year, and the old one has closed for everything to be moved....the new building looks stunning!
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:49 AM

St Andrews would be wonderful in November- don't change your plans. Your son will get a real buzz out of the Old Course, and there are piles of golfie things to do. But it's also a lovely wee town worth visiting in its own right. It has nice shopping and nice restaurants and masses and masses of history.

If it's raining, take brollies.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM

"If it's raining, take brollies."

Rain would be the least of the worries on a lousy day in St Andrews - strong winds and a cold damp feel that gets to your core are more likely. And if it's coming off the sea - brrrrrrr
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses! Unless it's just pouring rain I think we will stick with the St. Andrews plan and just walk around and take in the town, it sounds like it will be worth the trip even in Nov and still very interesting. Stirling Castle and Linlithgow also look amazing though - so little time for such a fabulous country.

I have yet to go to Glasgow myself, I love Edinburgh so much I always go back there; next trip I will have to take it in. I have heard that it has a much different feel than Edinburgh, would anyone say this is true?
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i> I have heard that it has a much different feel than Edinburgh, would anyone say this is true?</i>"

Couldn't be more true . . .
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:50 PM

I have heard that it has a much different feel than Edinburgh, would anyone say this is true?

It's different, not better or worse. Glasgow is a lively, friendly and vibrant city; lots to do, museums, Art galleries, concerts, theatre, top notch clothes shopping, great live music scene. Known as 'the dear green place' for all it's parks and open spaces...also the home of the 2nd oldest university in the UK, the Glasgow Art School, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Scottish Opera and Scottish Ballet....er, and a few other things too.