Search

Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Kena Contreras

Suggestions

We are getting ready to go to Europ-Paris and Italy from 8/30-9/13. We want to take the train from Venice to Florence, but are confused as to how to go about purchasing rail tickets and which type. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 09:53 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Kena Perhaps the easiest way is upon your arrival in <BR>Venice ask the concierge to direct yo <BR>to the nearest travel agency or go to <BR>the American Express Office just west <BR>of the Pza S. Marco and purchase your <BR>tickets there. The fastest is by the ETR's which require reservations and <BR>suppliments along with the the price of <BR>the ticket. Trip would take about 2hr30min...Would personally sugest first class. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Jane

I've always bought my tickets at the rail station with no problem, the clerks have always understood what I want with my English and pigeon Italian, and I have yet to miss my train! <BR> <BR>A ticket doesn't guarentee you a seat, however. If you're travelling off peak second class won't be a problem. Ask the clerk if you're unsure. <BR> <BR>The Italian train system is very user friendly. Go to the station and get a ticket. It doesn't get any easier that that. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Jane

I posted this under tips for train travel in Italy.. there's a yellow or orange box on the platform where you have to validate your ticket. I made the mistake of forgetting one time, and got a stern look from the conductor, who then initialed my ticket as a form of validation. Bottom line is that they don't kick you off for not validating, but try to find the box if you have the time before the train leaves.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:47 PM
kc_jones

You might find it useful to check the italian train schedule at www.fs-on-line.com. As was mentioned in previous posts, you can purchase tickets at the station or a travel agency. I would advise doing that a day or two beforehand, we encountered a sold-out Eurostat train on this route in May of this year. <BR>Have a great trip.