Suggestion need for day trip from Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some good suggestions for places to visit that are an easy day trip from Amsterdam. I am traveling with my 11 year old son and would like to find a location with windmills and other kid friendly sites. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
MaureenB

From Amsterdam, one afternoon we did the 2:30 p.m. “Best of Holland” excursion to Volendam and Marken, with a stop to see wooden clogs made, Gouda cheese created, and to visit windmills. It was by bus, with a boat from Volendam to Marken. A lot of fun. Even our two teens liked it. It was relatively inexpensive.
>-

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Zaanse Schans is the obvious choice for windmills. Kinderdijk is furhter away and maybe not quite so kid friendly. I read bout this in my paper today - it sounds like it could be a fun thing to do: http://www.wetlandssafari.nl/index2.htm
The NEMO museum in Amsterdam may appeal to your son too.
If you want to go for a bike ride I suggest going to the Hoge Veluwe NP and using the free bikes there for a safe ride on nearly traffic free roads.
A day at the beach maybe? Bloemdendaal or Zandvoort would be good places to go, though if it is very hot, most of Holland will have beaten you to it.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that Zaanse Schans is the obvous choice. There are several windmills there, most you can go into and see what their use is/was. Then there is the clog making, the cheese making, the bakery, etc. And the pancakes...let's not forget the pancakes. I spent a beautiful Sunday there a couple weeks ago and it was one of those places that we had very low expectations of based on what we'd read/heard and we had a delightful time.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions! Thanks so much. What do you think of the Open Air museum in Arnhem?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM

hi giggles36kd- there is a wonderful openair museum in Enkhuisen, the Zuiderzeemuseum. You might do a Google search for Zuiderzeemuseum - I think your son would love it and it's a great day trip. Your son may be a little old but you can rent the traditional costumes, wooden clogs and hat included for your time there. Enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM

The wife and I just returned from a trip to London and Amsterdam. On day three in Ams, we were supposed to take a day trip to Brugge, but got on the wrong train! We ended up in the town of Alkmaar, which turned out to be a really nice surprise. Beautiful canal houses, a nice park with a windmill, no crowds. Only about a 30 minute ride from central station on the train.
Also saw Keukenhoff gardens - really beautiful