Suggestion for Perfect Tuscany Day

Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Suggestion for Perfect Tuscany Day

We will be in Florence for a few days with another couple and on October 8 would like to rent a car and do a full day trip into the Tuscany countryside.

We have been to both Florence and Tuscany(the San Gimigano/Chiati area), and our friends have never been to Italy. My wife and I do not mind seeing certain areas again as we barely scratched the surface of the Tuscany countryside last time and we will get a thrill just being with our friends who are experiencing it for the first time.

My goal is to to drive on the Chianti highway, perhaps see Castellina and/or Radda, briefly visit a vineyard, see San Gimignano, and if time permits visit Siena.

I have heard nice things about the Castello Verrazzano winery, but if others work better logistically, or are more desirable, that is great.

We are open to where we have lunch

Given these ideas, can you suggest the best logistics for a day trip like this? I am very open to suggestions, and do not care of the order in which we see things. Our goal is just to get a great overview of Tuscany in about 8 or 9 hours.

Also, although I have picked a Sunday if there is any downside to doing this type of trip on a Sunday we could do it the day before.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM

One day rentals can be expensive--I would hire a driver for the day.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:09 AM
Neopolitan

One day rentals can also be very reasonable. They are usually only expensive if you try to book ahead and especially if you get caught up in the frequent three day minimum (by price).
We've often rented for a single day from local or even name agencies, including in Tuscany. It will be a tiny fraction of what a driver and car will cost.

I wouldn't make a lot of plans, but I like your idea of Chianti first and end up in San Gimignano.
Make plans for lunch? We never do when driving -- but have never failed to spot an ideal place.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM

We just returned from Italy, drove Rome to Venice with 7 days in 2 ocations in Tuscany/Chianti. One of our favorite days of the vacation was the wine tour/lunch at Verrazzano and it was for the other 2 couples at our table! If you know about wine, it teachs you more and it is a great introduction if you do not. Their wild boar pasta was to die for!! And the wine was free flowing. Now sure how much the tour guide made it as perfect as it was, he was terrific, part of the family & lives on the estate & I would love to know his name if anybody does.We stayed at Villa Casalecchi in Castellina & loved the town. I recommend La Torre for dinner if you are there. Have a wonderful time!!! I haven't posted my trip report yet, there are still too many images in my head but I had to respond to this post. We also did the lunch at Castello Banfi, which was fine but Verrazzano was top notch. Ciao!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

"One day rentals can be expensive--I would hire a driver for the day."

Not really. A car and driver will be 3 to 4 times the cost of a one day rental. But it's not about the money. We love driving and prefer it to a car and driver, even it it were close in price(which it is not)