Successful car rental from autoeurope.fr

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Successful car rental from autoeurope.fr

As it has been the source of much debate here and I gained much from the discussion, I thought I would report on our experience renting a car from autoeurope.fr.

We live in the US and first investigated renting a car from autoeurope using their ".com" site. The prices seemed high - but aren't most things about european vacations? Then I investigated here and found that others had rented from the various "country" sites for autoeurope and gained substantial discounts.

I was concerned that there was some type of nationality or insurance "requirement" that I would be skirting by using the ".fr" website but after the discussion here and then actually reading the information on the ".fr" website (with the help of a french colleague) that was not the case.

We reserved a manual station wagon (4 adults traveling) through autoeurope.fr for 5 days to travel from CDG to Normandy - returning the car at Gare Montparnasse. The rate was 206 euros. I don't remember the exact quote from the ".com" site but the savings were in the $150-$200 range. When reserving you give your address - and we gave our US address - which was no problem - so there is no "lying" about anything. You get an email voucher and take that to the counter of the car rental company that autoeurope has contracted with.

For us, the actual car rental company was National - we had no issues at all with the voucher or renting the car. At the counter - we chose to get the "super CDW" - and that was another 50 euro that we paid directly at that time.

We got a very nice Peugeot 407 station wagon which actually included a GPS system (we had a Garmin with us).

This was a success in our book and all completely above board - just wanted to share our experience and encourage others to look around at the other autoeurope country websites to compare prices.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info. We may check that out next time ourselves.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM

So, it includes collision damage (tout inclus)---and you supplemented w/ another 50 euros to get the better insurance?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM
ira

Hi wren,

The "inclusive" coverage usually has about 500-1000E deductible.

Super CDW is usually zero deductible.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

wren - ira is correct. It comes with basic coverage but a high deductible (950 euro) - we basically bought that down to zero with the additional fee