Stupid question regarding London buses

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Tina

Stupid question regarding London buses

I'm going to London for 3 days in June. When catching the bus, do you have to have exact change? I'm from a pretty small town where we don't have mass transportation so all this is new to me. Thanks.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
egg

No you don't but you need to have smallish change with you. Offering a 20 pound note for a 50 pence fare would not make you popular.
Why not get a series of one day travel cards. You can get them for bus and tube or for bus only.
Have a look at http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ftt_oneday.shtml for prices and where you buy them.
The main site http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ is a good source of information about London Transport, fares etc.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:04 AM
diane

Buy a pass for the bus and underground (tube) (in U.S., subway). You can buy passes for one day, three days (I think), and a week. You just show your pass when you get on the bus, Use the underground for longer distances, such as going to the Tower of London from a hotel in the Bayswater or Kensington areas. It would take forever to cross the city by bus.

A pass may be purchased in advance over the internet, but you can go to any underground station and buy a pass when you get there. We had to have a picture to get a week's pass, so we took an extra passport picture. I'm not sure if you need a picture for shorter periods. Don't buy more than you need--a zone one pass will be plenty (inner city area).

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:35 AM
jpm

Yea! Do What Diane Says! She is spot on.

Have a great time.

jpm

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:13 AM
kate

I never take buses in the US but found with a travel card the buses in London are sooo easy! and the Tube also!
Have a lovely time~

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Tina

Thanks everyone for their advice! I'm looking forward to my trip!