Search

stupid question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:18 PM
laura

stupid question

<BR> Are there any provisions for english only patrons in the museams of europe. I really would like to go to the Louve but was at a loss in <BR>Quebec museams.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:24 PM
Beth

That's not a stupid question at all. I don't know about the Louvre, but the Uffizi in Florence wasn't very "English friendly". I recommend Rick Steve's book, "Mona Winks, A guide to the Great Museums of Europe." He gives walking tours for all the great museums and describes much, with a little bit of humor. We enjoyed it in Italy a lot. I know the book includes the Louvre.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:25 PM
cheryl

I assume you are asking if the captions and descriptions are in English. Not usually, and as I recall, not in the Louvre. I seem to recall translating french captions for my husband. However, almost all large museums sell guidebooks in several languages. Not only do they usually give more information than a caption (I even buy them in US museums), but they make wonderful souvenirs of your trip.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:36 PM
elaine

Laura <BR>Not to worry. <BR>The central area of the Louvre on the ground floor under the pyramid has <BR>maps in English, and people who speak it. There are also acoustiguides you can rent in English.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:48 PM
elvira

The Louvre is pretty English-user friendly with maps in English (look for the Union Jack on the brochure) describing the different halls/rooms and what's in them, and then directions to the Girls (Nike, Venus dee and Mona). The captions are in French, but the artists' names don't change in the translation (Caravaggio is the same in French as English) and the title is usually understandable (Tete de John le Baptiste is self-evident since the painting is of his severed head). Coatrooms, restrooms, etc. are all pictographs; the cafe and restaurant menus have English translations. We have a guidebook bought back when Mona's paint was still wet, but fortunately the art never transmutes or evolves. In the rooms with stuff like Egyptian jewelry or such, there are racks with printed descriptions of what's in the room and then some historical info as well. <BR>The Musee d'Orsay is mostly in French, but since it's just sculptures and paintings and household goods, you can tell what the stuff is without understanding the caption (Matisse is Matisse, and a giant chest of drawers is pretty self-evident in the furniture section). <BR>Since I read French, I can't remember what was the language used in the Musee de l'Armee or the Picasso Museum, but both have guidebooks. Versailles is all in French, I'm sure, but again there are guidebooks. <BR> <BR>There are also audio tapes you can rent in your language of choice in most of the museums (Versailles too, and there are guided tours in English as well). <BR> <BR>Anyway, I figure even if I can't read the caption, the picture is so darn pretty, who cares?

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 04:02 PM
Bob Brown

I recall seeing plastic covered printed descriptions of the exhibits in some of the rooms of the Louvre. But, I strongly suggest reading up on both the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay before arriving. The Louvre is HUGE !!! <BR>and without preparation you will end up wandering around wondering what is what. <BR>I just hope the powers that be at the Louvre go ahead and move Mona to a separate room so I can see the other paintings in that area. Last September, I did not even try to see Mona. My wife wriggled her way up close and finally got in a position where she could look over the heads of a throng of Orientals who were paying their respects. Fortunately, my wife is quite tall, and could easily see the famous smile. <BR>Perhaps the Louvre should do for Mona Lisa what the World's Fair in New York (1964) with the statue the Pieta. People had to view the statue from a moving conveyer belt. So you could not stop and stare.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Joe

One of my big surprises when I first went to European museums was to find that even in the few places that had English language captions, they consisted of only very short summaries of the French, Italian, German or Dutch original. Plus English was indicated by a little Union Jack instead of an American flag! It all knocked my socks off.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 08:51 AM
lisa

Call the museums ahead of time and find out what times they offer guided tours in English. My mom and I did this at the Louvre and it helped so much! Of course you can only see a sampling of the collection but you get so much more out of it than you would on your own. Our guide was very witty and spoke several languages and offered observations on differences among cultures in terms of art appreciation ("Americans always want to know how much each painting is worth. But, you know, the Mona Lisa is not for sale!")

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Tahiti Bob

Some thoughts: <BR>"English was indicated by a little Union Jack instead of an American flag!": of course, American flag, it´s only if the text is written in american-english, otherwise Union Jack. <BR> <BR>In US, are there any captions in museums in any foreign language ? or even in Spanish in Californian museums ? (for Texas, I guess there are simply no museums).

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 11:46 AM
howard

Joe, I can't believe that you were upset because the museum used a Union Jack instead of an American flag. Horrors! (Well, on second thought, maybe I do believe it.) If that bothers you, then you better not go to any ATMs in Italy, since the Union Jack is also used to denote the English-language instructions. (Note that the language is called "English," not "American"!)

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 11:54 AM
cheryl

To answer Tahiti Bob's question, although the National Gallery in DC doesn't have captions in foreign languages, it does however, in most rooms have large laminated cards with a great deal of information about the artwork in the room. These cards are in several languages (I remember spanish, italian, german, french, and at least one asian language), as well as english.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:54 PM
kay

(for Texas, I guess there are simply no museums). Quote and unquote, from Tahiti Bob. <BR> <BR>So, sir, I guess y'all have never been to the Great State of Texas, or you'd never had said such an outrageous thing. <BR>But thank you for doing so, because it gives me the chance to set the record straight. Check out a gem of a small museum in Houston at www.menil.org and for Fort Worth there is the Kimbell Art Museum, recently named the BEST small museum in the US by the New York Times (or something like that). The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston is expanding and in March 2000 officially becomes the sixth largest art museum in the US, collection-wise. I could go on and on, but I hope you catch my drift. I am shocked no one from anywhere else in this richly-endowed-with-museums state of Texas didn't challenge your caustic assertion. And to conclude, Remember the Alamo! It also is a museum today. You really should travel more. Twould broaden your horizons! (There. Now I feel better. And I didn't even include the famed Buckeye Hall of Horns in San Antonio, cuz I figured you sure as shootin' would look down your nose at that one, even though it is fascinating!) <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 01:07 PM
k

Oops. I got that name wrong. It is the BuckHORN Hall of Horns. And here is some stuff about it from the Rough Guide, and then just for the h--- of it, something on another small jewel of an art museum, also in San Antonio.... <BR> <BR>"About two miles south of San Antonio, the surreal Buckhorn Hall of Horns, Fins and Feathers at the Lone Star Brewery, 600 Lone Star Blvd (daily 9.30am–5pm; 210/270-9465), is a monument to Texan excess. During San Antonio's heyday as a cowtown, cowboys, trappers and traders would bring their cattle horns to the Buckhorn Saloon in exchange for a drink. Thousands are now on display, mounted as trophies, chandeliers and chairs, along with endless cases of Lone Star memorabilia, and a wax museum. The $5 admission includes two complimentary glasses of the "National Beer of Texas"; lovers of kitsch will find it a bargain. <BR>It's also worth getting to the McNay Art Museum, 6000 N New Braunfels Ave at US-81 Austin Highway (Tues–Sat 10am–5pm, Sun noon–5pm; free). This exquisite Moorish-style villa, complete with tranquil garden, was built in the 1950s to house the art collection of millionaire and folk artist Marion McNay, which includes New Mexico crafts, Gothic and medieval works, as well as Post-Impressionists." <BR> <BR>End of my defense of Texas culture...unless of course I get provoked again. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 02:11 PM
elvira

Joe Bob, you will get a REAL shock if you ever see the merge of the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes found on many French websites to indicate <BR>"Anglish" as they say in Texas. <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 10:04 PM
tina

You can easily get the recorded guidebook. It will add so much to your experience for so little. At the louvre I think it was just 45FF last year.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Mary

To tag on to Cheryl's description of "Language cards" in D.C., the Accademia in Venice has similar guides in each room. The Pegggy Guggenheim (also in Venice) as I recall, had English titles on all the artwork. In fact, Venice was extremely inviting and accomodating in every way. Romantic, charming, oh my God how we loved it! <BR>Most museums we saw in Italy had the option of audio guided tours - it's a good idea if you want details. I am always content to just absorb the emotion evoked while my husband wants all the "dope". Depends on your perspective... <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 08:54 PM
Betsy

I'm always afraid to mention Mr. steves now since so many have such strong feelings about him, but here it goes.... <BR>The book Mona Winks, suggested earlier is I think a really wonderful way to deal with an overwhelming museum like the Louvre. His walking tour was easy to follow for the most part, (a few of the paintings had been moved), he gives some background as I recall and you will see the major highlights of this incredible museum in a leisurely way without feeling exhausted. You'll go back to Paris right? So you can really jump in then. For a first time visit, Mona Winks is a great way to go. I found it amazing that while everyone was gawking at the Mona Lisa I was able to enjoy the other 2 Da Vincis crowd free nearby. <BR>Enjoy your trip and be sure to get a museum card if you'll be going to more than 3 museums while you're there. It will save you money and allow you to skip lines. A blessing at Versailles. <BR>Betsy

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 09:26 PM
Donna

"Provisions?" There are English tours available. But, we found it tedious and boring and left early on. All the tour guides indicate where all the "highlights" are located. With just the map of the Louvre - English version - (which you pick up just inside the door) you can navigate around the place nicely. Of course, no matter where you go in a French-speaking sort of place, it's useful to know all the basic terms...