Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Studying abroad summer: Salamanca, Valencia, Granada, Seville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently a junior in college and looking to study abroad in Spain this coming summer. I studied abroad last summer in Madrid and absolutely loved it, but feel that going back again would be too boring and I should experience another city. I traveled on the weekends to Granada, Toledo, Santander, and Barcelona. I loved Granada but was only there for 2 days so it's kind of hard to make a judgement off of that. I also liked Barcelona with the beach, but as I'm going to try and learn Spanish fluently it's not much of an option because I felt there was too little Castillan for me to learn as much. I've read a bunch of mixed reviews on why each different city is better but I guess I'm just looking for some more opinions to help me hone down my choice. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. a great nightlife (loved Madrids!), potentially with some internationals because I am not completely fluent yet but that is not as important
2. a great atmosphere to learn Castillan fluently and practice it
3. a big city atmosphere (granted I'm from a small city in Nebraska so almost every city is huge compared to mine) but I really loved that about Madrid
4. various things to occupy free time, like cultural, museums, parks, sights, etc.

Lastly I did really love the beach part about Barcelona and the seaside feel of the marina side, and I also really, really loved Madrid's public transportation and their Metro system.

I'm looking to go through ISA so my options I've felt like are Salamanca, Sevilla, Santander, Granada, and Valencia.

So obviously I'm not looking for all of these things I just thought it would help to point out some of the things I loved about other Spanish cities I visited. Any and all opinions are appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Of the choices, I would go with Salamanca first, then Granada, if you want to be close to the Costa del Sol.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM

There was a long discusiion between Sevilla and Salamanca recently

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ter-option.cfm
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I'd actually recommend the University of Santander or the International in Santander in northern Spain. It fits all of your requirements as well as having the benefit of beautiful beaches and a rather jet-set crowd in the summers.

It's also near so many northern sights that people on the southern tourist trek never see.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM

I think you will like any of those you choose, but Valencia does have
-great night life
-the beach
-parks and museums
-excellent bus/metro/tram system
-good access to many other lovely places
-more castellano than catalán/valenciano

However, the north of Spain is fabulous.. but not sure about the nightlife, etc. and amount of museums.

Santander may have the least oppressive weather. But it may be TOO cool for you if they don't get a heat wave.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Can't compare those cities mentioned...I'm sure each has its charm. I do know that Salamanca is charming and historical and very Castillian. It has had a big emphasis on studying the language. There is the appealing Plaza Major but also the lively Gran Via with many young people.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Studying or partying?
For studying: Salamanca (the best accent too).
For partying: others.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM

I would recommend for more of what you hoped, Valencia for more traditional styding and a lovely inland small city Salamanca.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:22 AM

Valencia!

I returned early this year from a wonderful visit..my first trip back since I studied there for a summer in high school. It has everything you have asked for, and lovely, friendly residents.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Sevilla is my favorite place in Spain. Having said that the summer is painfully hot. You can easily take daytrips to Cadiz area for the beach though. I also like the idea of Valencia for the proximity to the beach but Santander might be my choice because the best beaches in Spain are right there.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Perhaps go to San Sebastián´- the Cultural Capital of Europe in 2016 - and the Universidad del País Vasco (UPV). Many Spanish would hold this as their favourite city in the country, people have come here since the mid 19th century because of the summer climate, the excellent beaches, the beautiful landscapes and the fantastic food.

I studied at UPV back in the mid 90's, and I've later attended many summer schools/conferences on a wide range of topics. A good university and excellent summer courses in fabulous surroundings at the Miramar Palace. http://www.sc.ehu.es/scrwwwsu/index.htm

The Parte vieja/Old town has a higher concentration of bars and restaurants than most places on the planet, and there is plenty of nightlife at clubs and bars, both along the beaches and in the Reyes Católicos area behind the Cathedral.

Museums, parks, hiking, sports (surfing, rowing, horse-riding, pelota, soccer etc. etc.) in San Sebastián, and it's also close to Bilbao with some of the best and most spectacular museums in the country. For example the famous Guggenheim museum: http://www.guggenheim.org/bilbao

This would give you an idea of the city and the area:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/07...tin-spain.html
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zTb7Eg9Lk

The UPV homepage: http://www.ehu.es/

...and one of Europe's best jazz festivals in the end of June.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM

...hmmm, the 47th edition of the San Sebastián jazz festival takes place in the end of July, not June. http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/san-s.../festivals.htm

San Sebastián celebrates its Aste Nagusia/Semana Grande around mid August. The city on its head for an entire week. http://geumagazine.com/blogenglish/?p=412
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM

I am with Kimhe: San Sebastian is the answer. Temps in 80's rather than 110's. Beaches, food, cosmopolitan. Check out Lenguaviva school. I studied there a couple of sunmers ago. Serious about learning. Probably about 70-80 students from all over the world.

All in all, San Sebastian is an absolute winner. My favorite city in Europe.

Check out marshlands.blogstream.com.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Egbert, The best beaches in Spain are in Cádiz. No doubt about it.