Naples or Sorrento in late August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be traveling in Croatia and then to Italy the last week of August. We are headed to the Amalfi Coast and are debating between staying in naples or Sorrento. We will be there for 3 nights and off to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. We are also looking into taking a day trip to Capri and the Blue Grotto (our dad went there in the early 1950s and says it's a must).

So which town is easier to travel to Pompeii and Capri?
Hotels/B&Bs recommended? We're trying to be cost conscious so hotels less than $150/night .

Thank you all

Heather
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At a guess, there would not be a lot of difference in travel time to Pompeii from either. Similarly, at that time of year ferries to Capri should be frequent.

So your choice might boil down to the rather sedate, tourist town of Sorrento (with easy public transport access to the Amalfi Coast), or the rougher, chaotic Naples.

Naples frightens some people, and there are areas where I would not feel comfortable after dark, but it is a wonderful city with a wealth of things to do and see.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 02:59 AM
ira

Hi H,

I agree with W,
"Naples ... is a wonderful city with a wealth of things to do and see".

It's the Italy of Mastroianni and Loren and Fellini, etc.

Watch "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" before you go.

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 04:50 AM

Sorrento is a great choice. Don't get me wrong, I love Naples and have taken day trips there but never stayed there for more than a visit in a day for a few hours with my Neapolitan cousins as our guides.

We prefer staying in Sorrento to do the things you mentioned.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 04:55 AM

The mother in me thinks you and your sister should stay in Sorrento. You'll feel safer and more comfortable. You can always take a day trip to Naples. Very easy from Sorrento. Have fun!
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:13 AM

To this day it is true that the places my mother thinks I should go are never the places I enjoy.

heasereb,

Food is vastly superior in Napoli, and not just pizza, but all food, and it is much cheaper than what you find in restaurants in Sorrento, so if eating well is part of the joy you take in traveling, Napoli is genuinely a joyous destination.

In addition, if history and art are one of the main reasons you are coming to Europe, Napoli is a treasure trove, absolutely packed to the gills with artworks of tremendous beauty, and it has two world class museums. If you are visiting Pompei, you probably do not want to miss the Archeological Museum in Naples, where the most valuable treasures of Pompei are kept for safekeeping.

If you traveling to Europe for a breezy vacation with resort-style amenities and vistas, Sorrento should be your choice. Many people positively enjoy its holiday atmosphere and crowds of happy foreign holiday makers who fill up the restaurants and main piazza at night.

You won't be any less safe in Napoli if you choose to go there, even though it is accurately described a rough, congested, often chaotic historic (Greek) city, with a great deal of noise, motorcycles, immigrants and southern Italian life lived on the street stoops and in the piazzas, so it really takes some visitors aback.

Up to you! Have a great time whichever you choose.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Any specific hotel/apartments recommended to stay in Sorrento?

Yes - we will definitely get to the Museum in Napoli regardless if we stay there or in Sorrento. This is halfway between our trip from Croatia, so we'll be wanting a bit of R&R before hitting Rome.

Heather
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer the hills above Sorrento over staying in town. Many places outside of town have free shuttles. These three have shuttles and two have pools.
http://www.aminta.com/
http://www.ilnido.it/
http://www.lavuedor.com/
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM

We stayed at Hotel Sorrento City and were very happy with it. http://www.sorrentocity.com/
It's right in the center of things. Not quiet or with a great view like hotels above the city, but you can walk to everything. I find that a lot more relaxing than depending on a shuttle. It depends what you are looking for.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM

Hi,

I was last year in both of cities with my boyfriend and i could say that Sorento is my favorite one.It is so beautiful and such a landscapes and the seaside, that makes you without breath, really unique one.Considering it will be August may is better solution Sorento, because you can go to beaches and also Capri is very easy and close to get there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:44 AM

Here's my trip report from our trip where we were based in Sorrento. I highly recommend the hotel, the contact info is in the trip report. We also did Rome and Croatia on that trip. Great combination. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:00 AM

kybourbon, why do you prefer the hills around Sorrento to staying at a view hotel in the town itself? Obviously outside Sorrento is less convenient for daytripping.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Another vote for Sorrento based upon your post.

We stayed at: http://www.vesuviosorrento.com/en/

It too was up on a hill but had a mini-bus that was available whenever one needed it. On the premises were a pool, a restaurant, a bar and a billards room. Our room had a sweet balcony with gorgeous views of the water and Vesuvius in the distance. I don't remember what the price was, sorry.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>kybourbon, why do you prefer the hills around Sorrento to staying at a view hotel in the town itself?<<<

Many of the hotels in Sorrento don't have views especially in the OP's price range. Many also have noise problems. It's quiet if you stay out of town and you have better views.

>>>Obviously outside Sorrento is less convenient for daytripping.<<<

Depends on the day trip. The three hotels I listed have regularly scheduled shuttles (free) which usually run until about midnight. They are also on the public bus route between Amalfi/Positano/Sorrento so you don't even have to to come into Sorrento if going down the coast. You can also take a public bus at a time when your shuttle might not be running (some don't operate for a few hours around lunch).
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM

Can I put in a vote for a small bustling village called Vico Equense, just 12km north (or 11 minutes by train)of Sorrento? It has stunning views from its clifftop perch, a beach down below, and is right on the Circumvesuviana train line from Naples Central station (stops include Herculaneum, Pompeii, Vico, then Sorrento). You can then catch the ferry from Sorrento for a day on Capri. Vico has a great restaurant Pizza Al Metro and they also make those the most delicious pasta. There are also plenty of gelaterias, cafes and alimentaris. We stayed at Hotel Aequa (www.aequahotel.net), which has a pool & stunning views across the Bay to Vesuvius. We hired a driver for the day through the hotel to go to beautiful Ravello.