Student Visa versus Residence Card

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone had knowledge on student visas and residence permits. A little background: I am a US citizen on a student visa (class D) in Belgium. It expires 20/9/2014, however, I am interning under contract until 6/10/2014. I have applied for what I believed was a visa extension through my municipality, however, I was told it is impossible to receive a visa extension(I wish I had read this forum before so I knew it was impossible to extend the visa - a lot of time wasted!), but that they would extend my residence permit.

Does anyone have an idea of what this actually means? Does a residence permit trump student visa? Am I allowed to stay in Belgium past 20/9/2014 until the expiry of my residence permit, or must I leave the country? I know, I know, I could leave the Schengen zone and reenter as a tourist to finish out my internship... but I'm on a tight student budget!

I've emailed and called the Belgian consulate in LA, the US Embassy in Belgium, the Belgian Immigration Office, my municipality (Ixelles), and my university with no prevail. I love this country, but man o man, sometime's you just need an straight, non-bureaucratic answer! Please and thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 02:46 AM

Your visa trumps all. As soon as it expires you are in the country illegally and you and anyone employing you are committing criminal offences

The residence card is only valid as long as you keep to the terms of your visa
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank for the response, even though it isn't what I wanted to hear! Hmm, looks like the next step is to book cheap tickets to the UK.... thanks again!
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 03:14 AM

I think a valid residence permit is the equivalent of a visa. It only entitles you to stay in the issuing country, so you still need a visa for other Schengen countries.
I assume you are not being paid for the internship. If you are then you may also need a work permit. Presumably the place you are interning at knows the ropes.

This is in Dutch, but no doubt there is an English version somewhere: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_nl.htm
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, hetismij2! I finally heard back from the Immigration Office here in Belgium and they said it's the date on the identity card that I must follow. They were very explicit saying I can not leave the country of Belgium once my visa expires. Wonderful news! Thanks for the link.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Good news! I hope the internship goes well, and you gain lots of useful experience.