Student travel to Dublin

Search

Student travel to Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Student travel to Dublin

Hi guys! I will be going to Dublin this fall (Sept-Dec) for an exchange program with Trinity college. The lodging and 2 meals for 5 days a week will be covered. I want to get an idea about how much I should save up for the trip. I'm getting help from my parents for my flight tickets so I just want to know an approximate 'miscellaneous' cost. I want to try to stay within a low budget (student!) and was just wondering if someone could tell me some ways I could save without compromising on fun (if possible!).

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM

First off, I think that is fab that you are getting to do an exchange program at Trinity. You will love it. Dunnes grocery store will be one of the ways you can save some money. I am not sure what you will have in your dorm but if you have a frig you can buy things to eat to save some money. I love the pubs for cheaper foods when eating out. I know that if you cross the Liffey there are places that are much cheaper to eat and drink. I hope the euro exchange rate comes down some for you but a pint is around 4 to 5 euro. You can eat out for ten euros and there are McDonalds with the euro menu! Once you arrive and meet other students they will have great tips. I love getting on the trains and going north and south. Very cheap to ride the train and walking around is free. The coastline is beautiful and the villages are all a little different. Croke Park, see a game! There might be some games that are not so pricey. Dublin has a lot of concerts and free music. Wow, save your money this summer, you will need to put in an account from your home bank and use your atm for best exchange rates. My last trip, I would get two hundred euro and it cost me 301.00 each time. It goes up and down but the atm exchange rate is best. Make sure you copy your passport and credit cards front and back and keep in a safe place just in case. Also tell your bank that you will be out of the country for that length of time. I would be so excited and you must be a great student to get this chance. Good Luck and hope others can give you some tips. Trip advisor always has Dublin experts that can help you also.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM

My daughter did study abroad in Dublin (acting with Gaiety Theatre) a few years ago. You are lucky in that some of your meals are covered--she had to provide for all of her own meals and that's one thing she scrimped on. She also found that liquor was pretty expensive, so if you can limit your evenings in the pubs, that's probably a good thing all around.
You'll be there for the Fringe Festival in mid-late September and she enjoyed the free and cheap performances. http://www.fringefest.com/
There are other free or other low-cost things to do in and around Dublin--the museums, the parks, and taking the Dart to places such as Malahide and Howth (which has a cliff walk with fantastic views).
Finally, if you are affilated with a Study Abroad organization, such as IES, they will probably have some free and low-cost programs planned for you during the semester. Her group did a ghost tour at Halloween and a day trip to Glendalough.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:52 AM

Always look for student rates and special rates for people under 26 for sights and attractions and transport passes.

Great chowda at the Ryan's FXB Grills. Pub grub is about as cheap as it gets. O'Neills is not bad, and very popular. Don't miss the Guinness Storehouse.

Have fun on Guinness Island.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. All your replies are much appreciated!