Student lodging in Paris

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:43 PM
mme B

Student lodging in Paris

I will be traveling to Paris with 6 students, ages 19-28, and would like to find moderate to low-priced, acceptable lodging for 15 nights. We would consider dormitory-style arrangements. Any suggestions? The location does not have to be in the very centre of Paris. Merci to anyone who could help.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:04 AM
danielle

I just got back from Paris and we stayed at Hotel des Jeunes (MIJE). It is a hostel, clean and comfortable also includes breakfast. There were two large groups of students staying there. It is in the 3rd and 4th and it is only about 2 blocks away from the metro which is wonderful. There is a curfew of 1 am and a lockout from noon - 3pm. It is suppose to be one of the best hostels in Paris, I have nothing to compare it too, but I felt very comfortable there. Hope this helps, if you need and extra info you can e-mail me.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 03:47 AM
wendy

I used to take students five times a year to Paris, we always rented an apartment and had a true Parisian experience...it worked out to be MUCH cheaper than a hotel and much more fun as we always ended up around the table eating, writing letters home, talking! Try www.locaflat.com...
Please e-mail me directly if you have any questions!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Sue

Thirty years ago I lived at the Fondation des Etats-Unis in the Cite Universitaire, south border of Paris. Primarily a dormitory for students, it also took "passagers," non-permanent residents on a brief basis. Who knows what changes have transpired since then (at that time the rooms were doubles and the guys lived on one side and the girls on the other!) But you could e-mail them and see. I got this from www.amb-usa.fr/consul/guide18.htm

"FONDATION DES ETATS-UNIS
15, boulevard Jourdan, 75690 - Paris Cedex 14 E-mail:[email protected]
Founded in 1927 with private donations, this French equivalent of the "International Houses" on larger American campuses provides lodging and cultural facilities to American graduate students, professors and researchers. The foundation also accepts French and other nationalities. Located in the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (C.I.U.P.), it has 270 single rooms."

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:58 PM
clairobscur

The Mije hostel are indeed considered as the best in Paris (beautiful old buildings, and an excellent location)at least for groups (backpack travellers could find they aren't that fun). But it seems you have to book them long time in advance.

Cite Universitaire is certainly pleasant and quite convenient too..