Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strolling in the Tuileries, horseback riding in the Alpilles, dodging scooters on the Riviera...

Search

Strolling in the Tuileries, horseback riding in the Alpilles, dodging scooters on the Riviera...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:22 PM
beth anderson

Hi all<BR><BR>thought I would post in my trip report thus far - my stay in France at any rate!<BR><BR>This trip literally came like a bolt from the blue - a few of the law firm partners I've been in contact with suggested I try to attend a big industry conference being held in Monte Carlo.. I had one week to get all my ducks in a row and WOW was it worth it. <BR><BR>I met as many people in three days (over 50) as I did the whole month of January. so add that to my list of tips - find out where your industry may be having large events where you expect many players to attend - go go go! not only will you get a handle on what is going on in your chosen industry, you will meet many nice folks. <BR><BR>I was very lucky weather wise - the day I landed in Paris it was WARM and sunny. I walked off my jetlag by walking from my hotel in the 5th to the Musee Marmottan (yeah, pick up a map - yes, it's a long walk!!) I spent the entire day walking - it was too pretty NOT to. jetlag be damned. <BR><BR>I picked up a car at the Gare de Lyon (NB - very easy to get out of the city from there) and took off for Burgundy with a stop at Fontainebleau. I made a decision that day - a BARGE TRIP is going to be our next planned vacation... <BR><BR>I stayed in Beaune and actually had enough time when I got there to explore the town a little. I went to the Cave Camille Giroud on a rec by the hotelier and had a super tour of the cave/cellars. I also bought a few bottles of wine...<BR><BR>next up - St. Remy de Provence. This is a lovely little town - I stayed there the whole weekend. I had a little more time to explore than in September - that trip, I had only part of one day to look around as I had to hightail it to Nice to pick up 3 friends coming in from various airports. I clambered around Les Baux as well as Les Antiques at St. Remy. <BR><BR>My second day I went horseback riding - if you visit there DEFINITELY go horseback riding. A big highlight of the trip. The Club Hippique is very close to the tourist office, just ask directions but it's not hard to find regardless. I went on a two hour ride, (40 euros if you are interested), and it was an utterly gorgeous morning. warm but not hot, sunny, and we climbed climbed climbed up into the Alpilles. My stupid digicam was on the fritz again (I am sure Leica's are great for regular cameras, but for digital ones... hmmm) so no pictures... we also rode right past Glanum..<BR><BR>The Riviera - I think early spring is THE time to go. The flowers are coming out, it's sunny, warm, and NO TOURISTS. I drove the Grande/Basse Corniche each morning on the way to the conference (I stayed in Menton)...<BR><BR>to be cont'd later...<BR><BR>Beth<BR><BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:47 PM
x

Looking forwqrd to part2!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Elsa

I think it's great to post (if you can) along the way while everything is fresh in your mind. Interesting to know that this is a good time of year to go.<BR><BR>Thanks, Beth.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:07 PM
mc

Hi Beth, <BR>Can you tell me the place you stayed in St-R&eacute;my? I'm trying to find a nice place, not too expensive !<BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:59 AM
topper is a good boy

topping

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Tess

<BR>Awaiting the next chapter of your travels .... And Beth, if you haven't already seen the thread (it's got Beth A in title) once again your employment status / travel penchant has set off a storm of controversy. I'm one of the 'woohoo' supporters who's thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your adventures. Keep it coming!<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:40 AM
doubtful

Tess - I wouldn't worry about Beth seeing the other Beth A thread since she probably started it. Funny how this post shows up just afterwards? I don't doubt that Beth is a real person but an attorney? Come on, has anyone ever seen a lawyer who is that PERKY? I think she's Kathy Lee starting a new life, or maybe a high school cheerleader running away from home.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:37 PM
beth anderson

Hi all!<BR><BR>back from a super lawyers/networking reception- met a VERY interesting lady (general counsel of a big company here - sorry can't name names of course) who heard about my excursion to the conference in Monte Carlo from a lawyer I had met there... the longer you plug in to a network the more your name gets around I suppose. (ANOTHER TIP I cannot stress enough - join associations in your field - I belong to several now... it's a super way to meet people..) anyway she was a real ball of energy - 'off to ski in the Alps tomorrow for a week' - what a life. people wonder why I want to move here?? c'mon.<BR><BR>It's great being back in London! I'll start another thread with that info - by the end of this posting I'll come up with a title for it...<BR><BR>anyway, I can't go on enough about Provence/Riviera at this time of year. I have been consistently lucky with the good, sunny weather, in France and here in London - I always bring it with me I guess! ('always bring the weather, bring the weather, with you' - for bonus points, who sung that song? my favorite band, by the way)..<BR><BR>while in Provence, I stayed in Les Sources de St. Remy. Nice B&B, maybe 10-15 minutes walk from the center of town. no worries re: walking any time of night, it's quite safe there. The owner is quite a dynamo I hear (Philippe)- I didn't meet him personally but had several conversations with Avern (sp?), who is overseeing the place for him while he spends some time in Miami and on various business trips. Avern is a very nice lady - she'll take great care of you! <BR><BR>They are doing additional work to add more rooms to the B&B and I think next year they are going to put in a swimming pool. I would like to meet Philippe - he sounds very interesting (so if you are reading this Philippe - expect an email from me when I get home & get sorted!)<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:38 PM
beth anderson

I also stopped by to visit PBProvence on my way south to the Riviera, once I left St. Remy. I stayed at her really gorgeous B&B in September - I highly highly recommend staying there if you are in the area. Very sumptuous. <BR><BR>They just finished putting in their wine cave and are starting work on their CAVERNOUS living room. Really really huge – would love to see it when it’s all done, too. She and StCirq are hosting a guided tour of the Dordogne and Provence - they are both accomplished cooks and have lived/had ties in their respective areas for a long time. They are really experts on France and are great cooks as well - from what I understand this will be a combination tour, and cooking classes. It sounds like a great idea - touring, visiting markets to purchase the food which you will then go home and cook - while enjoying the wines of the area.. I think it's a fabulous idea and I hope PBProvence has plans to publish a book of her recipes...<BR><BR>when you go to the Cote d'Azur, try not to miss the drive along the Grande Corniche. I did this a few mornings - got up early enough to make the drive from Menton to Nice, decided to take the high road.. absolutely lovely - especially in the early morning, before the warmth of the sun burns off the fog. <BR><BR>I very much enjoyed strolling through the Cours Salaya in Nice in the early morning. not many people are out and about yet, you have Therese's socca stand all to yourself (you can't leave Nice without having a socca - it's the law) and there are so many flowers out - the scent is intoxicating. I bought a few watercolours from an artist who spends a good deal of her time right there at the market, painting.. as well as herbs, baskets, all that. (the baskets came in handy for the wine - good Lord I always leave a country with more luggage than I came in with).<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:39 PM
beth anderson

re: ‘doubtful’- no worries, wouldn't need to start a thread asking 'where I was', have enough on my hands without starting a spurious question and answer session. plus I have no probs using my own name when posting - what do I have to hide, hmmm? <BR><BR>I did catch part of it - very amusing! no time to respond alas. so sorry to offend - evidently some people take my quest very PERSONALLY (as opposed to seriously). <BR><BR>and why wouldn't I be perky - life is GRAND! most attorneys I know (here and at home) are similarly very nice, dynamic, warm, interesting people. hey, to get where you are going - a great attitude counts for so much. <BR><BR>btw, Red Cross Lady - EMAIL ME??!! this is such a funny coincidence - while on a London Walks tour I met a lady, from the Red Cross, permanently stationed in Germany with her husband but on TDY (or whatever they call it) in London. I wonder if there is any chance, at all, that you might know her? it's a long shot I know...<BR><BR>ANOTHER good tip - you meet really great folks on the London Walks - I've now made two good friends from this - one, William, I met 6 years ago who had just moved to London from New Zealand - we are still tight friends. I've visited him several times, he's visited me in the US, I'm now good buds with his roommate (from staying with them) and NOW I come over to visit his roommate too - and he's come to the US to see me. and so on. (not to mention my new friend in the Red Cross - I now have a permanent invite to Germany).<BR><BR>Whew. Ok. Getting tired. I’ll start the London post tomorrow, or try to at least, if I have time…<BR><BR>Beth<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:13 PM
c

YAY Beth!!<BR>Keep in touch. LOVE hearing all about Everything!!!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:49 PM
fellow

Hey Beth, just wondering, where did you go to law school and when??

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
MC

Beth, I'm planning a trip on the Riviera, C&ocirc;te d'Azur and Provence (haven't quite decided yet) and I would like to know where is PBProvence's B&B ?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Clarence Darrow

Don't know where Beth attended law school, but she went to Penn State for undergrad school & had a triple major.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:36 PM
fellow

When did she graduate from Penn State?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Naive

Come on now, Beth is certainly a fake. I find her highly entertaining, and enjoy her posts, but I have proof she is a fake. I know for sure that she also posts under at least two other aliases. I really don't care, but I think it is funny that others here are so naive that they fall for her. I think Beth is really a large black man who works for the Post Office.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Naive

Get F, the truth always hurts, doesn't it? :0

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:31 PM
s.fowler

I've stayed off these threads because of the way they disintegrate into visciousness.<BR><BR>But FWIW, Beth is *exactly* who she says she is -- and to boot she is a delightful person whom any of us would be fortunate to count as our friend.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:48 PM
fellow

Ok, that's fine...so when did she graduate from Penn and what law school? I'd just like to check. If she has nothing to hide, that information should be forthcoming.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Diane

OK, I've stayed out of this until I can no longer. Beth is real. I've known her for a couple years, through the DC Fodor GTGs. She is a terrific person, who is always very upbeat and willing to share her adventures with the rest of us. Yeah, maybe we're Cybersisters (actually she's more like the girl next door who used to babysit my kids) but I'm happy to count her among my "travel friends."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -