Search

Stresa, Orta, and Malpensa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stresa, Orta, and Malpensa

Hi,

I have planned a trip to Italy, and I could use your help on the tale end of trip. After leaving Venice on November 1, I will be going to the lake district before my flight leaves from Malpensa airport on November 3 at 10:20 in the morning.

As it is right now, I won't have a car. I was planning on using the train for this portion of the trip; however, I am open to a car. I want to go from Venice to Stresa and spend one night at Hotel Verbano on 11/1. On 11/2, I was thinking of going to Orta San Guilio and spending the last night there. Is it possible to drive to the airport the next morning from San Guilio if I have a car or is this pushing it. I am actually planning this trip for another couple and the wife is a little nervous about obviously getting to the airport on time. Is it about an hour drive? What is the drive like at that time in the morning?

My other option was to train from Venice to Stresa and spend the night. The next day train back to Milan for the last night.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences in regards to this itinerary.

Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:17 AM

The drive from Orta will take you an hour, but you need to drop the car. That means leaving Orta at 0630 or earlier. I think I would forget the car with so little time and just train to Stresa for a day.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Bobthenavigator, I was hoping that you would reply. I wanted your thoughts, and thank you for them. What do you mean day trip to Stresa? From where? Stay 11/1 and/or 11/2 in San Guilio, Milan, or Stresa? Could you expound a little?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I am saying forget the car and just train to Stresa and enjoy. You do not have enough time to get creative.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I agree, with such little time, I would skip Orta (even if it's a very nice place to visit). I would just spend the 2 nights in Stresa, and visit the beautiful surroundings: on day one take a ferry to the Borromean Islands (Isola Bella, Isola Pescatori, Isola Madre), and for the second day maybe either go to Verbania/Pallanza and visit the gorgeous gardens of Villa Taranto, or go to Arona and visit also the Rocca di Angera, the beautiful castle in front of Arona, on the other side of the lake, that you can reach by ferry. Lake Orta is poorly connected to Stresa by public transportation, so if you need to leave from Malpensa, Stresa has better connections.