Search

Streetwise vs. Popout maps of Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:08 PM
tcl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streetwise vs. Popout maps of Europe?

I know a lot of Fodorite have sung the praises for Streetwise maps, but has anyone used Popout maps? I saw it on Amazon and thought they were a good deal. How do Popout maps compare to Streetwise ones? I've never bought either one, so I would appreciate any comment on them. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:34 PM

The popout ones I've seen are smaller and less detailed. In addition they have all those folds in them and as you use them, they start getting worn along all the creases until you can't read the street names. The laminated Streetwise ones are much better and certainly last longer in my opinion.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure what the Popout ones are like but I'm not a fan of laminated maps, Streetwise or otherwise, due to their stiffness.

What I do is to buy a map and make a few photocopies of parts of it, the sections I'm likely going to spend most time in. Then I mark these up, noting buildings, certain streets, etc. with colored pens. Easy to carry and, if one wears out due to constant folding, spindling and mutilating, no problem, because I've got inexpensive backups.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I love the pop-out maps, because they fit much more easily into my back pocket and I unfold quickly and more efficiently - with a little practice you know where to look for the info just by the way it opens. When I unfold a larger more traditional map and turn it around and around to find what I need I feel like I'm holding up a giant "I'm a tourist, please pick my pocket" sign.

That said, you can only get them for certain major cities, and they are no good for planning road trips and such.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM

I think it might depend on the city (size) & whether you intend to return. For Venice, I had 4 or 5 map options & found the one I used most often was a pop up that was included in an inside/out guidebook purchased in England. It was small/compact & had map, info & compass that could fit in my pocket. What Patrick says is true though. It got "mauled" & is not in very good condition now. A laminated one would last longer but it would eb larger.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:04 PM

I am a fan out the Streetwise Maps - wouldn't hit a big city without one! When folded they aren't that big, something like 3 3/4" x 8 1/2", I usually stuff it in my purse or my husband carries it in his inside jacket pocket.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:05 PM
yk

I'm a big fan of Streewise maps. I found them (Paris, London & Rome) very detailed. Especially helpful when I am trying to locate a restaurant that is tucked in a small side street.
I don't find them big in size. And if it is raining or if you spill something on the map... well, just wipe it off!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I prefer the laminated Lonely Planet city maps to the Streetwise ones, myself. Good street indexes and public transit plans, with a fair amount of detail.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:18 PM

On my recent Paris trip, I used a borrowed Streetwise Map. It's the first time I've used Streetwise and I think it's great. Laminated is a must, as I like to open up a map every 30 seconds. A paper one will be finished in a day in my hands.

One thing I like particularly is the subway locations on the main map itself. The positions are extremely accurate, and it makes a huge difference for Paris - because while 3-4 lines may stop at a station with the same name, they can be a block or more apart. With the Streetwise, I can plan which line to take for the shortest connection with the least walking distance.

I wish it also had a map for bus routes, but I guess that's asking a little too much.