Stray animals - help

Search

Stray animals - help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stray animals - help

Before you read this post - please to do not post replies with sad stories in them!

I am heading to Greece in late August (just after the Olympics) - Athens for 2 days, then Santorini and Mykonos. This after 10 days' stop in London.
Here's my worry:
I am one of those people who's spent a lifetime rescuing stray animals. I have to admit that in many ways I have more compassion for them than I do for people (which may end up getting me flamed, but oh well).
I have travelled a fair amount, but have limited myself to certain destinations because I simply cannot bear to see animal cruelty and neglect. So far I've travelled the UK extensively, Paris, Sydney Australia, various US and Canadian destinations, Norway/Denmark and Germany without much "animal" trouble - some isolated incidents but nothing that has absolutely spoiled my trip. I cannot return to Mexico. I had to turn down an opportunity to work for a few weeks in the Dominican Republic because I was worried, and reports from coworkers confirmed my fears - they saw several sad things and remarked at the time that it was a good thing I wasn't there. My mom was in Egypt a few years ago and was sick the whole time because of the plights of the dogs she saw. I will NEVER go to certain parts of Asia.
I would love to visit Italy but I know there are many strays in the cities, and have been told stories by friends who were in Tuscany.

I am worried about what I might see in Greece and need feedback about how bad the situation really is.

I repeat - PLEASE do not tell me any sad stories. I know cruelty exists - heaven knows I've seen enough just in Canada. I don't think I can adequately convey how hard this is for me.
I know there are lots of cats and dogs around Greece, some pets, some stray. Wondering what the magnitude is and perhaps how I can avoid some horrors and get some perspective. I guess I am just trying to mentally prepare myself so that I enjoy the holiday rather than be devastated.

Also... any recommendations about other places that might be "safe" for me to visit?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I know EXACTLY what you are going through and I think it may very well depend on what areas you visit.
I think you'll find in some ways the Europeans are more devoted to their pets than we are here..at least to the point of allowing them into restaurants in some countries, on the trains (half fare required in Switzerland).

I would stay away from any area that looks economically depressed (some wags would say that means all of Greece!) and you may be OK.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM

My only experience with this (apart from being surrounded by dogs and cats all the time- none of whom looked particularly out of sorts- is with this shelter in Crete. They may be able to tell you more.

http://www.chaniascape.net/noahsark.htm
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:04 PM

May I ask why you chose Greece? That is the place I have noticed this problem the most. That being said, I don't recall it being an issue in Athens. On Santorini I did notice many cats, however most of them were in a courtyard lying about in the sun with this amazing view and I figure they have it pretty well.

The places I noticed the biggest stray population are not on your itenerary. The truth is, however, stray animals are all over Greece (and most of the world as you are well aware) and you may encounter some. I think you may be safest sticking to more populated residental areas.

I know this post probably sounds silly to some, but I understand. I wouldn't however, miss the opportunity to go somewhere I really wanted to go to.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM
P_M

I have been to all parts of Greece you named and more, and I was very bothered by the strays. I saw them everywhere, including Athens. Sorry, I wish I could tell you differntly. I spent a short time in Paphos, Cyprus which was just as lovely as any Greek island and I saw no strays. However, that's only one place, I cannot promise you it's like that all over Cyprus.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
P_M

In re-reading my post, I might have been unclear--Cyprus is not part of Greece. There is a large British population there, which might explain a different attitude toward strays. It was 4 years ago I was there, I hope this has not changed.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the replies and suggestions and I really appreciate the understanding. It's so heartening to hear from others who can sympathize.
The reason I'm ending up in Greece is that my friends, husband and I work in brodacasting and many will be in Athens for the Olympics. A holiday is in order after 6 weeks of 18 hour days without a break. And since we/they are already over there, it seems a waste not to stay on for a visit and to see and experience something of the country.
I am hoping that Santorini and Mykonos, being so touristy, would be the places where the strays are most likely to be better fed. I can appreciate the culture having a different attitude towards domestic animals and the fact that we in North America tend to overdo it on the pampering, and thus (I hope) resign myself to the existence of strays...but cannot abide outright cruelty.

Can see myself retiring to Santorini and carrying out covert spay/neuter operations to get cat/dog overpopulation under control!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Somewhat off the subject, but if you everr get to rome, visit the cat sanctuary there at the Torre Argentina . It is truly inspirational.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM

taggie, read the trip report Back From Greece, I think she mentions good cat stories.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Taggie, I can sympathize with you 100%. It kills me that so many defenseless animals are neglected. All it takes is some education on people's parts. Spaying and neutering would help the situaton. Sadly, some people don't believe in it and feel the animal should have just one litter of kittens or puppies.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM

From your question, I have the impression that your main concern is whether you will have to see stray or neglected animals on your vacation?
I can't think of anywhere that has a human population where this is not present in some form, though there is an island in the Bay of Naples called Ischia where all the dogs, including "guard dogs" and the dogs at an animal shelter near where I stayed are so mellowed out that most of them spend the day sleeping lazily in the sun!
I never saw one that wasn't well-fed. It was an very unusual experience!
If you love to travel, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad, or learn not to look too hard if it's really upsetting to you. Hope you find a way to enjoy a few light-hearted moments on your vacation!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:41 PM

taggie

I've noticed some changes perhaps for the better in Athens.

The local charity, Friends of the Cat, care for many strays in the National Gardens. On my last visit there, there seemed not to be so many cats and kittens and I hope that's because of the success of the spaying project and not something nastier.

Those that I did see looked healthier and better fed.

bill
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:46 PM

taggie, I perhaps should also have mentioned that through Friends of the Cat you can sponsor a little Greek friend your own.

We did that a good few months ago now and it has given us a lot of fun and satisfaction.

bill

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all again so so much. I am actually thinking I can look forward to this trip!
And at the very least I am so very reassured to hear that perhaps things are changing as far as neutering.
This site has been a real boon to me - wish I'd come across it ages ago. I will try to file a trip report after our return (not for 3 months) but the pressure to write as entertainingly (have just experienced one by Degas!) and informatively as others on here is pretty daunting.
btw Bill Barr, we (plus another couple) will be staying at the Rochari (sp) on Mykonos, thanks to your recommendations on another site I was chekcing out. And nice work on their website as well!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:44 PM

taggie - just returned from Greece & Turkey and saw lots of "feral" dogs and cats - most were just lazing outside of shops and all appeared friendly (not skittish) and well fed. The only place I had some concern was in Rhodes, but in the parks there were notices about strays and kettles for donations for teir version of the SPCA. Now for a happy story! My daughter was a Peace Corps volunteer in Poland and was stationed in a tiny town near the Ukraine border. Her first few months were plagued with extreme lonliness- until the village stray noticed her. She was told that the dog was "bad" and the villagers would throw sticks and stones at him to chase him away. Nevertheless the dog persisted and would jump out of a snow bank and then dart off. Increasingly he would spend more time before darting off. Eventually he would follow her all the way to her work and then meet her and follow her home. Finally he got up enough courage to enter her apartment and after a good Polish meal curled up beside her and slept the night. From that point on they were inseperable. When it came time for my daughter to return to the states she asked if she could bring "Dexter" home with her. "Dad this dog saved my sanity and will certainly die within a year if left with no one to look after him. I owe it to him!" Needless to say Dexter is now a Polish exPat living the good life in Colorado and still enjoys jumping out of snow banks.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:52 PM

CharlieB, I LOVE that story! I love canines as much or more than humans, and I have a very distinct picture in my mind of Dexter!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM

I forgot to add...

Greece is a wonderful and diverse country. It is astoundingly beautiful and the Greeks are incredibly proud of their country and very friendly- especially if you venture past the everyday "hello" and "thank you". And the food!

Have a great trip!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice story, Charlie.
And for all the other nice and encouraging posts.
My problem is that I'm a "glass is half empty" kind of person , and for every wonderful story of an animal being rescued I always think of the ones that aren't. Due to a never-ending parade of rescued animals through my life, I guess. Anyway, it's great to know that there are other people out there who notice our four-legged friends and will try to help.
And, despite this nagging worry, I am very much looking forward to my trip. I have read and heard many lovely things about Greece and the Greeks.
Thanks again everyone.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:43 PM

For those of us who would like to help the stray dogs of Sorrento there is a shop where the some of the proceeds are used to feed and house them.

It is called Fernando and is across the street from San Francesco church. Fernando is a talented woodworker and makes inlaid wood and religious artifacts and sells them at a reasonable price.

I have been buying gifts at his shop for years, it is on via San Francesco. In May he had elderly two dogs in his shop and he takes donations for others.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM

The worst place I saw for stray cats was in Malta, in Valletta, I believe. There were stray cats all over the place and they did NOT look healthy. Most were very scrawny, lethargic and many had eye infections. Malta also has had a longstanding problem with people killing songbirds and migratory birds.
Here in Brussels, some good and bad news. The bad news is that many people still abandon pets when they go off for summer vacations. The owner of the German deli we often go to has a beautiful, very well behaved yellow lab. She found him at the age of six months (or so) tied to a tree in a forest. He had been abandoned. She was in the same park recently and found another dog tied to a tree, which she took to a shelter.
The good news is over in the Parc Tenbosch. It was a common dumping ground for unwanted cats. Years ago, the neighbors decided to do something about it. Several adopted cats, but they also built small weatherproofed "houses" for the cats in the park, trapped them and had them sterilized and vaccinated, then returned them to the park (it's about 5 acres in size). They feed the cats twice a day (10 am and 4 pm). The cats are friendly and enjoy attention once they get to know you. Those that need medical care receive it. The oldest cat there, Pixu, gets medications every day(his guesstimate age is about 13). The cat population is fairly stable, about a dozen or so cats at any one time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -