Reload this Page >

Strand Palace - London

Search

Strand Palace - London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 12:19 PM
rrt

Strand Palace - London

Any thoughts on this hotel - I can bok cheaply through USAIR vacations. Other suggestions in same general area? Thanks.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:00 PM
hb9542

I stayed at the Strand Palace last August on a solo trip to London because I got a great price on an internet site for a single room. The room was the smallest I've ever seen and very basic in amenities but the bathroom (which almost the size of the rest of the room) was fine. The staff were very friendly and the location was fantastic. I'd stay there again since I'm not especially worried about room amenities if the location and price are great. The breakfast that was included with the room was basic but not bad. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me.<BR><BR>Betsy

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Mgiggle

Stayed there last summer, and would definitley stay there again, for comfort and location. <BR><BR>It's a big business hotel with all the amenities, a big lobby, and miles of corridors. The room *was* small, but comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. The best thing is the location -- being able to step out the door right onto the Strand.<BR><BR>P.S. Get an outside room. The inside ones look out onto a wall and are a bit claustrophobic.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Philip

I've stayed there several times, most recently this past November. The location of the Strand Palace is excellent. Covent Garden is right out the back door. However, the rooms are tiny!! The carpet is worn, sometimes holes in the towels, etc. Breakfast is buffet (lukewarm scrambled eggs, streaky bacon, fruit, yogurt, croissants).<BR><BR>Also in November, I stayed at Travel Inn County Seat for 75 pounds. While this hotel is a "no bones" hotel, the rooms are bigger. (I could actually walk around my bed which I couldn't do at the Strand). The price does not include breakfast, but there is a restaurant on the premises, a Starbucks and a bagel shop across the street and a McDonald's around the corner. The Travel Inn is by the London Eye & Waterloo Station. It has 3 subway lines which are about 2 blocks from the hotel. You can be to the Trafalgar Square/Covent Garden area in 10 minutes by tube.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Joanne

rrt: We always stay at the Strand. Every thread I have seen on this hotel describes tiny rooms. We always ask for and have so far received corner rooms which seem to be somewhat larger. Haven't been there for a year or so, but don't remember the buffet breakfasts as described above. Not the best we have had, but not the worst either.<BR><BR>As noted by others, the location is great. Walking distance of many places, including three underground stations and buses stop in front of the hotel. Only a couple of blocks from the Thames and the walk along the river to the houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, etc. is quite nice. On a couple of occasions we were caught sightseeing at commute times and rather than fighting the crowds on the tube, we took a boat to the Embankment station and walked back to the hotel.<BR><BR>Lots of pluses. If I can help further, don't hesitate to e-mail me.<BR><BR>j

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:44 AM
rrr

Thanks for the replies!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Andee

I've stayed at the Strand Palace twice. I would not stay there again...though the location is great, the rooms are so small and claustrophobic. My room did face inner courtyard, and being summer, with no a/c, it's very hot and noisy. People were screaming at neighbors ot shut up! It was horrible. The included breakfast was canned fruit, stale croissants, corn flakes, canned juice...pretty bleak, but included. I ended up at the Thistle Trafalgar for one pound less and many times more pleasant. Got a great rate on a London hotel website. Will try to find.